The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 21, 2015, 12:31 PM   #1
simonrichter

handguns for stopping vehicles

Using handguns to stop cars or even trucks is a scenario often depicted in movies and for LEOs or security personnel, it is not a completely hypothetical scenario even in real life.

When I think back to Bond's good old PPK, the respective performance of pistols seems a little overrated in the movies, thus my question: What is the minimum caliber that has the potential to

a.) penetrate a tire
b.) stop an assailant through the windshield

Let's assume that "potential" means a 50% penetration probability out of a advantageous angle, from 20 feet away...

Last edited by simonrichter; May 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

As a general rule, you don't shoot at cars.
Any handgun round can be easily deflected by a windshield.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:25 PM   #3
jmr40

I wouldn't call it common, but LE do have to shoot through windshields at drivers who are driving towards them in an aggressive manner. I'm sure the bullets path is changed after going through the glass, but most will go through. It comes up from time to time.

Taking out tires is something that has been attempted in the past with limited success. Engines, I have my doubts. Even if you get enough penetration to damage an engine it'll run for a while before it quits.
Old May 21, 2015, 02:53 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Shooting out tires falls into the same category as shooting a gun out of the bad guy's hand. Looks great in the movies and TV, and is such a nice, humane way to stop the BG without hurting anyone, but it doesn't happen. The dangers to innocent people are the same as shooting at the evil (presumably) person, and the likelihood of it working are a lot less.

Jim
Old May 21, 2015, 03:14 PM   #5
BarryLee

Here’s a video of the Mythbusters stopping an engine with what appears to be a SIG 9mm. The bullet penetrates the grill, radiator and timing chain housing and stops the engine. So, if you want to penetrate the engine block with a handgun go S&W 500. However, fire most any handgun into the engine compartment and you might get lucky and hit something like the battery, alternator, distributor, etc that stops the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpDQUBfQVy8
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 21, 2015, 03:48 PM   #6
leadcounsel

Civilian cars offer nearly zero protection from any direction from even 9mm handgun rounds, with the notable exception of the large piece of metal known as the engine, and perhaps the layers of steel located behind the axle and wheels.

Think of cars as concealment (only behind the metal parts), and not cover.

Bullets behave weirdly, and can be deflected from windshields or otherwise non-bullet proof items placed at weird angles or during movement.

But I wouldn't bet on a windshield or tire to reliably stop a 9mm. The engine will reliably stop a 9mm (except the lucky bullets that weave their way past it) but the engine and necessary parts will suffer debilitating damage and soon stop working (radiator, hoses, belts, pullys, fans, compression, spark plugs, etc.). A car isn't going to go very far once some of these items are compromised.

In the real world, it would be nonsense to aim for the tire. Using lethal force means using lethal force, and an unarmored driver's compartment offers almost zero protection except from the direct front, protected by the engine block. Doors are thin sheet metal offering zero ballistic protection, and vertical windows offer zero ballistic protection.

Experience: An evasive driving and shooting school sponsored by US Army Special Forces. Shooting through windshields and car parts. Learning how to mildly makeshift up-armor a civilian vehicle with common household items in an emergency. But the windows are always a weakness. Also, curiosity has led me to a lot of 2nd hand experience regarding ballistics and watching videos, reading, etc.

Here's a couple of good sites:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-buic...and-car-doors/
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-buic...lds-outsidein/

Last edited by leadcounsel; May 21, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old May 21, 2015, 07:48 PM   #7
Japle

Old May 21, 2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Jim Watson

A friend was a fine shot and was tasked by his department with making sure a vehicle did not leave the scene of a drug transaction.
Never mind the handgun, he showed up with a .30-06 and some AP.
Not needed in the event, but ready.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:16 PM   #9
burrhead

I am not a peace officer but I work with some on a regular basis. I know one that shredded the tire of a truck he was chasing with a shotgun. He said it took four tries to hit it and it was all very exciting. This was at night in a rural area stopping a smuggler at high speed. He's sort of an adrenaline junky.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:45 PM   #10
Colt46

I think your best bet would be disabling the driver

A car close enough to be a physical danger won't stop very quickly unless you hit it with a howitzer.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:57 AM   #11
98 220 swift

As being a auto tech for Ford and Chrysler for almost 20 years I can put some input into this. I have seen cars(trucks) run for a long time with out coolant or oil. A shot through the radiator will take several minutes if not longer depending on how hard the engine was being run. Same with oil. During the cash for clunkers deal we had to drain the oil and lock up the engines. We have a large field behind the dealership. We would pull them in and drain the oil then drive them out to the field and run the ish out of them. None locked up until we poured liquid glass in them. Taking out the alternator the vehicle will still run for several miles on the battery alone. On modern vehicles there is no distributor to take out. Best bet would be the pcm which is normally hidden and would be very difficult to hit. Or possibly hit the wiring harness in just the right place(almost imposible). Hitting the timing chain and breaking it would also work( again almost impossible). Maybe the best would be a shot in the trans pan once it drains out (which wouldn't take too long depending on hole size) the trans will stop puling as long as it is a automatic. I would not try to stop a vehicle buy shooting the engine. I am sure it has happed with lucky shots in the past though.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
Here’s a video of the Mythbusters stopping an engine with what appears to be a SIG 9mm. The bullet penetrates the grill, radiator and timing chain housing and stops the engine. So, if you want to penetrate the engine block with a handgun go S&W 500. However, fire most any handgun into the engine compartment and you might get lucky and hit something like the battery, alternator, distributor, etc that stops the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpDQUBfQVy8
Is the sw 500 even feasible to shoot accurately under stress along with carrying on a saily basis and recoil?

I ask because i was offered it in a trade but i turned it down
Old May 22, 2015, 09:42 AM   #13
TimSr

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...atv-dirt-bikes

This guy shot two tires out of a truck with a 12 guage. No mention of shot size. Can't tell, but it appears the vehicle may have been stopped when he did it to keep them from fleeing with his stuff.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:47 AM   #14
OldMarksman
Staff

Let anyone think about doing it, DO NOT.

The idea is unsound tacit ally and in almost all cases, legally.
Old May 22, 2015, 09:59 AM   #15
kilimanjaro

Knew a guy once who had a friend try and shoot out a car tire with a pistol. The bullet bounced off the tire and struck a bystander. He was arrested along with the bad guys stealing his car.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:33 AM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

They all stop if you remove the loose nut behind the wheel.

Car door are thin sheetmetal, except for those that have a steel beam in them. And you know Murphy, if you need to shoot through a car door, odds are good you will hit the beam.

If you are a cop, or a solider, do what they teach you to do.

If you aren't, you pretty much don't have any business shooting a car.

#1, "Stand your ground" when a car is bearing down on you is kind of STUPID!
#2, the car is not the threat, the driver is
#3, good luck with legal justification if the car is trying to "get away"

You can kill a car with a handgun. But the "one shot stop, DRT" isn't likely. IF you are legally justified to shoot, SHOOT THE DRIVER. That's the threat.

Shooting the car might be considered "proof" that you were in doubt about the use of deadly force, and if you ARE in doubt, you cannot legally shoot.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:51 AM   #17
peggysue

MY S&W M500 with 700 gr. Hardcast http://www.ballisticsupply.net/defau...x?tabid=252105

Last edited by peggysue; May 23, 2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:58 AM   #18
lee n. field

oh, interesting. Tell us about that .500 S&W bullet.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 22, 2015, 11:49 AM   #19
Glenn E. Meyer

Having been in a class with extensive testing of all kinds of rounds on various car parts -

1. Most 9mm, 38, 40, 45 will go right through the glass on all sides. Hit it square and it may straight through. Thus in the circumstance that you were attacked by someone while you were in the car, you can do.

Of course, if you can drive away - do so. You can shoot through the windshield - but you must think of circumstance.

These were tests for extreme incidents.

2. The car sides won't stop anything except in some quixotic circumstances. For example, I saw a 12 gauge slug deflected down by the crash bar. Wouldn't count on it.

If you crouch besides the car, it is fairly easy to shoot you under the car by skipping rounds.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:23 PM   #20
DA/SA Fan

If someone you don't know just shoved your granddaughter in his car and took off I'm sure you have good reason to try for the tires or engine compartment instead of the driver.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM   #21
slugchucker

It may not stop a car,but.....

This gun may not stop a car instantly, but, it tends to slow them down when spotted by the driver........ a radar gun!
Old May 22, 2015, 05:10 PM   #22
peggysue

http://mattsbullets.com/ammunition/i...963cc482a36567
Old May 22, 2015, 10:52 PM   #23
EnoughGUN

I remember years ago reading about some special rounds one of which was (I believe) a thv tungsten steel bullet in 357 mag. Article said it "whizzed" through the block of a 350 and was still lethal upon exit. I would think punching a hole through an engine especially if that crossed rods or pistons would do the trick. Honestly dont know how realistic their claim was.

just occurred to me, better to just shoot the ecu, battery or any main harness section (shot gun probably best bet) on a modern car. They run at the limit of the 12 volt system these days and a huge disruption in voltage will likely bring it to a stop.

Last edited by EnoughGUN; May 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 05:22 AM   #24
Deaf Smith

Just get an AK pistol. 7.62x39, even from a short AK barrel, ought to do the trick.

Deaf
Old May 23, 2015, 06:21 AM   #25
Ibmikey

Get real fellows, the chance a situation would present it's self where an individual would be faced with a car killing decision are astronomical. Second, if one did shoot at a vehicle I can just see all the ramifications of such an act. Unless your concealed carry is a RPG I would suggest concealed carry is for defensive protection and not assaults on the Nation's motor vehicles.