The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2013, 04:22 PM   #26
William T. Watts

Mobuck your a man after my own heart, multiple sources for the new loader read cover to cover would be my advice to anyone new to our hobby!! William
Old January 3, 2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

as long as we are offering a bit of advice... no TV while reload, it really requires your full attention... I have a buddy who I can't get to turn off the TV, when he reloads, & he's had some seriously bad mistakes, one, including sticking 5 bullets in the barrel of a revolver... the result of forgetting to charge one case, & shooting lighter loads that what were listed in his manual

next part is a "do what I say, not what I do" but only load what you can find in a manual, & always start with the reduced loads recomended & work your way up... never load lighter or heavier loads that what are published in the manuals

reason I don't follow this rule, is for a couple reasons... 1) I've been reloading since the mid 80's, & had a very good mentor ( my FIL ) when I started... 2) I now have many totally original chamberings... 3) I still have a very good mentor, in one of my FIL's old buddys ( lost my FIL in the 90's ) buddy is a retired tool & die guy who has been building guns, casting bullets & reloading since the 40's... I spend as much time with him as I can, trying to gleen as much info as I can... a plus of becoming friends, I have more custom guns than anyone else I know... err... well except for him...
Old January 3, 2013, 06:54 PM   #28
tkglazie

Advice time? OK, here's my 2 cents worth- one primer related, one not-

First- when you box your finished cartridges run a finger over each and every primer and make sure they are at least flush, and preferably slightly below flush. A high primer (and even one that is flush) can easily absorb the impact of a firing pin resulting in a failure to fire. If you are hunting or defending yourself, this is a bad thing. At the range this is no problem, once you have confirmed that the shot wasnt a squib you can try it again and the primer will usually fire (having been fully seated by the firing pin).

Second- always visually inspect your charge when you are placing the bullet. Note that I said when you are placing the bullet. If you are batch loading and want to check all 50 at once, great. Check each case again when you are placing the bullet on each individual case. Just like a gun that you have not personally unloaded at that moment should always be considered loaded, so should a case that you are not looking at right at that moment always be considered empty (or otherwise improperly charged). If you develop this habit early on, and never stop doing it, you have greatly increased your chances of avoiding a squib, one of the most dangerous and potentially life threatening things that can happen when you are shooting. If anything ever seems off when you are assembling a cartridge, stop, set that cartridge aside to be pulled or pull it immediately.

Happy loading. Be safe.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:39 PM   #29
bamiller

While true that a good portion of .45 brass uses large primer there are exceptions such as Blazer and some Federal. I am actually in the process of switching out my large primer brass for small so I don't have to switch my press for the two rounds I load, 9mm and .45.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:41 PM   #30
kayakersteve

Not 460 .s&w

It uses small rifle primers
Old January 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #31
jimbob86

Best Advice?

"Write it down, or it did not happen."

Keep a log when doing load development.

When you have a load you like, write it all( components used, date, time, velocity, SD, ES, group size, the shirt you wore that day, everything) down AGAIN, someplace that will not get misplaced.

A lost log book is a Very Bad Thing.