The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2012, 11:03 PM   #26
RampantAndroid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E70mBil5cl0

That of any use? Otherwise look on youtube, might help.
Old April 14, 2012, 02:42 AM   #27
Single Six

I feel your pain. I've found Sigs to be outstanding when it comes to things like feed reliability. However, I've had two of them break their trigger return springs while in use at the range, which renders the guns into instant, super-pricey paperweights. I only carry one because my agency forces me to, as it is the issued sidearm; personally-owned pistols are verboten. Left to my own devices, though....I'd happily pitch it into the nearest body of water.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #28
Bullrock

Thanks RC20. Paragraph 1, my sentiments, exactly. Like you, I did find "getting it back together" to be a bit tricky and time consuming.

Quote:
geetarman, Is this a new gun?
Yes, by way of "Buds Gun Shop" to my FFA

Quote:
Yea, I have taken a few down and took me a lot of time to get back together as I missed the key to it. De-cocker should work unloaded as well as loaded.

I get hung up on the getting it back together. The slide is a bit sticky and you have to index it to the hole on the lug in the bottom of the barrel, then slide it the rest of the way back to index into the take down hole.

They are a bit loose, but should not be rattly.
Thank you! That's just what I experienced. It took some time, but I finally got it. The De-cocker on my piece def. doesn't work.

The hammer may work OK, and I probably will take a chance and fire it this weekend. In the "un-cocked" position there is quite a bit of vertical and some horizontal play. While cocked there is no play at all.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Snuffy308

Run it thru its complete manual of arms. If EVERYTHING doesn't work as it should DON'T try to shoot it! Take to someone familiar with Sigs.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:49 PM   #30
Marquezj16

Don't shoot it

Please don't shoot it. If the decocker is not working and the hammer has some play, you don't know what else is not right with the pistol.
Old April 14, 2012, 03:01 PM   #31
dgludwig

As others have opined: if something as basic to the pistol's purpose and design doesn't work (i.e., the decocker in this case), STOP! Return the pistol to the dealer or contact SIG for their return policy and have them fix something that is obviously wrong.

I'n sorry that you seem to have received a lemon and my thoughts and prayers are with you with respect to the far more important issues in your life.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:48 PM   #32
ritepath

I've handled 4 or 5 2022's lately without finding any of the issues you're speaking of. I've shot a friends 9mm and it's a great little gun, not as nice as my 229 but I still kinda want one in 40 as a mate to mine.
Old April 16, 2012, 05:31 PM   #33
Bullrock

Quote:
Yesterday I picked up my first Sig; ever! My first, and second, reactions were, "what a piece of junk". My second reaction was, "maybe I can trade it for a High Point".
OK! My first reaction was right on, and my 2nd statement was a joke. Most of you took it at that, but some, per usual, (when they feel their favorite firearm has been slandered) rush to defend the Siegfried line.

So today I went to the range for the sole purpose of trying to determine what, if anything, was wrong with my new Sig 2022B - 9mm. I didn't have allot of time for a full review, and my thumb is 77 years of age, but I did manage to put aside several things that were bothering me about my most recent purchase.

PROS:

(1) At 15 yards, I inserted a (full) 10 round mag. and racked the slide. Score 10, the process, and slide action was very smooth.

(2) I then thumbed the de-cocker. Score 0. It didn't work, again. Is it possible the hammer is de-cocking without any noticable hammer drop? "Naw"

(3) The moment of truth. For some reason I just knew the gun was going to fire. It did, with a very nice D.A. that caught me a little by suprise and I threw it slightly high, and a little right. Score Gun 9, shooter 0.

(4) Rapid fire shells 2 thru 9. All holes in one, unless you'd like to argue a couple of lines. Score 10.

CONS:

(1) That dam de-cocker.

(2) I'm not thrilled with the gritty feel of the grips. I prefer a smooth (wood) grip but that has no effect on the accuracy, or operation of the gun. Perhaps during the heat of summer (if we have one this year) I'll appreciate them more.

(3) One magazine? Can it be that Sig has gone cheap. I priced one for $38.00 and another (locally) for $50.00 One thing is for sure. Sig mags. ain't cheap... But then again, neither is gas!

I hope in the next few days to contact Sig. about the decocker, and to complete a 100 to 200 round range report.

I've had allot of suggestions about, just going to the range, and trying this or trying that, or take it back to the dealer and let him worry about it, etc. Some of us, probably more than not, do not have dealers with large or in somecasses with even small inventories. Most of the dealers in my area are part time, and keep no stock. Some keep the "Good" stuff under the counter for sale at internet auctions, and put whats left in a case. Usually less than 10 pieces. So if someone like me doesn't respond to your post, thank you for your help, but I live in another world...
Old April 16, 2012, 05:33 PM   #34
RampantAndroid

Did the decocker work before you stripped it?

For the grips, you can get rubber grips to slide over the existing ones. Or use the friction tape I've seen in Hickok45's videos on youtube. That's a relatively easy one to fix, I think.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:06 PM   #35
CrossIL

Which Sig?

I have a 1911, and my next dream is to get a 226...I have narrowed it down to the MK25 or Elite Stainless....which would you get...

BTW we all know your going to get them both some day...the question is which comes first
Old April 16, 2012, 08:08 PM   #36
igousigloo

I always thought a Sig looked sour.
Old April 16, 2012, 08:22 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

I don't like hearing this! lol I've always been a little iffy about SIG's polymer framed guns. Is it biased? Yes..I don't know why. I just have. I have yet to even try one out. I'm infatuated with my P226 e2
Old April 16, 2012, 08:33 PM   #38
WVsig

Quote:
I don't like hearing this! lol I've always been a little iffy about SIG's polymer framed guns. Is it biased? Yes..I don't know why. I just have. I have yet to even try one out. I'm infatuated with my P226 e2
There is nothing wrong with SP2022 they are very good guns. The OPs gun might be a lemon and need to go back to the factory but that is not reflective of the design or quality of that model.

I personally am not a fan of the P250 but do not fear the SP2022. It is a solid gun and in the right hands will shoot with P228/P229/P226 IMHO.

Last edited by WVsig; April 17, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:37 PM   #39
Marquezj16

to the OP - I'm glad your gun worked and that it worked better than you thought it would.

Heck you have internet so surely you must have a phone. The world is a lot easier to get in touch with now. Give Sig a call give them a chance to make it right for you.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:40 AM   #40
Bullrock

Quote:
I always thought a Sig looked sour.
Your post doesn't seem to require a response except for the "always thought".
Actually Sig's are pretty nice looking guns, and the 2022 is no exception, which is one of the reasons I've worked to keep my 2022B instead of just throwing it back to sig.

Last edited by Bullrock; February 13, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:59 AM   #41
Bullrock

Quote:
Heck you have internet so surely you must have a phone. The world is a lot easier to get in touch with now. Give Sig a call give them a chance to make it right for you.
I have to hitch hike over to the next town (about 50 Mi.) to get to the library where I can rent a computer for an hour a day.

Word has it that phone service in my area may become available as early as next year. In the meantime several of us retired folk are working hard to have the streets paved for that big event.

When the weather clears I plan to climb my roof, and use my signal flags to contact Sig. I haven't had much luck lately, because I keep turning to the East instead of the West, then the wind comes up and pushes me over the side onto the manure pile. Those manure pile flies are wicked hungry this time of year

Maybe I could just drive my Sig. over to New Hampshire next week when my horse, "Sadie" returns from the vet. Of course I'll have to get some help changing the surrey over from skis to wheels.

In case you live over that way, I'll be the older fellow driving along route 101 in an old black surrey with a fringe on top, heavy heeled with a Beretta PX4...Because I know it works...
Old April 17, 2012, 10:12 AM   #42
Bullrock

Sig 2022B

I forgot to mention the "Contrast Sights" on the 2022B....Awesome
Old April 17, 2012, 10:34 AM   #43
Marquezj16

I guess the third impression is not all that bad.

Quote:
Please give me the strength to help those that I can and the patience for those that I can't.
Old April 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #44
labhound

Bullrock At least your mind works better than your Sig!!
Old April 17, 2012, 01:24 PM   #45
MK11

If the decocker doesn't work at all you need to stop using it immediately. How did you get it into DA mode?
Old April 17, 2012, 03:07 PM   #46
Bullrock

Quote:
If the decocker doesn't work at all you need to stop using it immediately. How did you get it into DA mode?
I think when we give advice concerning the integrity of the gun, we all need to be a bit careful. MKII, The gun is OK to use with the decocker as it is. I don't know why my first shot is DA, and the rest SA. Maybe when I put more rounds through it, or have the decocker fixed I'll know.

I contacted Sig Sauer today and they're sending me a ticket to have the gun returned and the decocker fixed. You are ALL correct, very good service.

Here's the straight skinny! I, as stated, have a Sig. 2022B, 9mm, 10rd. Mag. In order for the decocker to work, place the mag. in the gun, rack a shell into the chamber, and depress the decock lever. Which is what I have been doing.

Sig. advised I should press the lever until I hear a "Click" My gun doesn't "click", nor decock. They think it may have something to do with the 10 round mag. that came with the gun. Most of "you", I'm guessing use the 15 round mags, which are more popular. I'm told the mags. are interchangable.

So if I happen to find $50.00 lying alongside the road somewhere, I'll buy one and try it out.

Tomorrow I'm taking the Sig that I have to the range, and I'll probably put 1-200 rounds through it. I'll be comparing it to my Beretta Cougar 8000F.

Sig. advised there is no danger in using the gun as is, and who knows what a little breaking in will do.

So thank you everyone for all of your help and gun savvy. See you at the range..."Click"
Old April 17, 2012, 03:20 PM   #47
Bullrock

Quote:
Bullrock At least your mind works better than your Sig!!
Laphound, thanks, but, there are some folks who know me, who would question that. Just the other day the mailman stopped by and asked me if I was visiting from the "Home"....
Old April 17, 2012, 03:52 PM   #48
marappl

Check out Top Gun Supply for 15 round mags for the SP2022. They are in stock for $31.95.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-sigpro-magazines/
Old April 17, 2012, 03:58 PM   #49
MK11

I guess I'm confused--I really don't understand what's going on. Your first shot would be DA because you successfully decocked, then the rest are automatically SA.

Anyway, enjoy, be safe, and let us know how it works out.
Old April 17, 2012, 09:04 PM   #50
Oysterboy

A month ago I bought my first Sig, a P250c 40sw. Shoots great and yea, it has a long trigger but smooth as butter. I'm anxious to get a 357sig barrel for it.