The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 1999, 03:51 PM   #1
sundog

any y'all care to extol (or simply comment) on the virtues of flash hole deburring and truing?

------------------
safety first
Old November 26, 1999, 04:55 PM   #2
Joefo

General shooting, who cares. Match shooting, it does make a difference in accuracy. I actually debur all my cases. Midway has a nice tool at a fair price.

Joefo
Old November 26, 1999, 08:58 PM   #3
swifter...

I "do" flasholes as part of my brass prep rituals on varmint rounds.
Why? I'm convinced that it assists in consistent ignition.
I'm also of the school that advocates not merely deburring, but actually cutting a shallow cone on the interior (in my more frenetic moments, I also cut a very slight cone on the primerpocket side...) with the thought that this aids the flamefront by swirling it through the powder.
Hope this helps...

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old November 27, 1999, 10:49 AM   #4
TheOtherMikey

Never did it and don't plan to. Never had a problem and so why fix something that ain't broke?
Mikey has spoken!

------------------
Retired, Broke, and In Need of Brass, Powder, and Shot. Will Work To Shoot!
Old November 27, 1999, 11:45 AM   #5
Joefo

TheOtherMikey, Yes, it will work just fine without this reaming and cutting being done. On the other hand when you're looking for an edge in competition all these little things add up. I have tried it both ways and have found a big difference for the labor involved. By the way, I am not that great a shot so this edge means a lot to me.<BG>

Joefo
Old November 27, 1999, 09:33 PM   #6
TheOtherMikey

Joefo, being a championship class highpower shooter depends on three things. A championship level rifle, championship level ammunition, and a championship level shooter.

Now, I could get the best rifle in the world and the best ammo (all with absolutely precision, round, to spec, primer pockets and flash holes to a gazillionth of a centimeter) but I would not win a championship because I am not a championship level shooter.

That little edge you mentioned only works when you are right at the edge of winning.

So I say again, never did and never will debur flash hole on any of my cases. You, my friend, may debur till your heart's content.

Regards, the undeburred Mikey

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited November 27, 1999).]
Old November 28, 1999, 11:41 AM   #7
Joefo

Mikey, I hear ya. It has uped my scores since I've been doing it. To each his own. I said all these things add up.

Joefo
Old November 28, 1999, 09:10 PM   #8
Big Bunny

Just look at a standard 222 rifle flash-holes and you will see jagged edges and differences in diameter in the swaged brass, unless of course it is .17 Rem... when it is purr-fect!
I ream my rifle flash-holes to allow easier/better decapping too, easier to preserve those little pinny things on the end when you do !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old November 29, 1999, 02:05 PM   #9
sundog

thanks for the comments. i can see some of you are dead set in your ways. that's good as long as you are consistent. i've been using the tool from midway for several years. that together with neck sizing, case and (cast ) bullet weighing have helped produce some phenominal groups with my 03. i acquired some LCNM brass for high power, and found that deburring was not required - there were no burrs! that was great. this is time consuming so i am selective to when i do it. i am convinced however that it does work in the right application. thanks, again, i respect y'alls opinions.

------------------
safety first