The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 18, 2000, 02:58 PM   #1
Andrew

From the responses I got for the pistol-grip shotgun, it seems like they are not that great of an idea. How about a Mossberg 590, possibly with ghost ring sights and a Sure-Fire flashlight foregrip?
Old January 18, 2000, 03:14 PM   #2
John Overbey

Andrew,
I've got a 590A1 with ghost ring sites, a sidesaddle, surefire forend, AND a speedfeed (III I think) tactical stock (full stock with a pistol grip similar to a Benelli tactical stock). I love it. It shoots great, has never jammed or failed to fire, and is quite accurate with slugs too. The day after Christmas, I shot a <1" 5-shot group with Brenneke KO slugs at 25yrds. My wife likes the stock too, she says the recoil is more managable. I tend to agree. If you want a 590, make sure to pay the couple extra bucks and get the A1, not just the 590 "Security". The A1 will be marked as such, quite visibly. The difference is a heavier barrel, and metal saftey and trigger gaurd. Around here, the difference in price is about $30.
-John

[This message has been edited by John Overbey (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old January 18, 2000, 03:57 PM   #3
HarryB

I love my Mossberg for HD. I was thinking about a full stock with a pistol grip but found it was too awkward to manipulate the safety while using the grip. After all, the tang mounted safety is one of the best features of the 500/590 so my stock is stock.
Old January 18, 2000, 05:18 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any reliable shotgun with at least the capability of two shots fast is oneheckuva HD weapon IF YOU do YOUR part.The Mossberg qualifies, even if it's not my favorite.

Here's the key. EVERY adult that may need to use that shotgun in the house needs to be well trained, or have other alternatives available. Wife's not fond of shotguns, so the 870s are mine. There's some other weapons she doesn't mind at all,so she has those alternatives.

A suggestion, test out different ammo and see what works best for you.

An aside...

Never saw the attraction of any PG stocks, and have used plenty of them on rifles. The standard stock got to be that way by being versatile and effective...
Old January 23, 2000, 05:07 PM   #5
FireForged

Have you checked out the Mossberg 500 "Persuader"? Its perfect for home defense and will run you around $200.00

It is designated a "Combat" shotgun and is getting hard to find... It would be a nice little item to have if Mossberg decides to stop making them.. Take Care

Browning HP9
Moss 500 Persuader
Old January 23, 2000, 11:13 PM   #6
jthuang

I have a 590 as one of my defense guns. A 590 with ghost rings and Surefire would be a great gun!

I will second the notion of spending the extra bucks for the A1 model and ditching the pistol grip. My 590 does not have the metal trigger group (and it's never failed) but for the additional money it can't hurt to have more durable parts. The pistol grip will make using the safety more awkward, thus my suggestion to ditch the PG stock.

I have a Surefire Responder 617F on my Benelli M1S90. If you do spring for the Surefire, I'd recommend laying out the extra cash for the "F" model --which incorporates a constant on/off switch. This is because if you've got a goblin at gunpoint in your home (in a low-light situation), you'll need one hand free to call 911, while keeping the light on and retaining the ability to fire.

I think someone from a previous thread mentioned that Surefire now carries a model for the 590 that does not require you to grind off the bayonet lug to install the fore-end. The standard Surefire fore-end for the 590 will require you to whack off the bayonet lug.

HTH

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old January 24, 2000, 09:33 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

I'm between HD shotguns right now. I had to come up with a trade for a Norinco 84s in .223. Though wife lets me use her Remington 870 Marine Magnum wide side saddle of four at matches. I've looked at the 590A1 only in ads. And I thought of getting a HD shotgun from Scattergun Tech. Haven't done anything yet cause of the price. Mossberg sure has done their homework cause the 590A1 has got everything I need. I just never owned a Mossberg before.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old January 24, 2000, 02:48 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ned,why not get an 870 to match your wife's? While a stock 870 is not as gear as the tricked and tweaked ones, it beats no shotgun by a good bit.And the bells and whistles can be added as budget allows.

While my HD 870 is loaded, I would not consider myself unarmed with a standard one...

Also, with another 870, no change in operating the controls....
Old January 24, 2000, 06:25 PM   #9
Ned Roundtree

Valid points, Dave. My home self defense guns are a compromise of what the wife can handle. I never change our HD guns unless the wife can range practice and tells me she feels comfortable with the new gun. In pistol for example, I have .38 Detective special and Glock 26 & 34. Several have said, not enough bullet. But this is what wife feels comfortable with and can score hits with assurance. She knows Rem 870 and future purchase of different model would mean new practice on range. Truth be known, other than her aversion to recoil she's pretty good.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old January 24, 2000, 08:06 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ned, Wife and Daughter don't like shotguns at all, but have little/no problem with 38/357 revolvers.

Daughter's Sweet 16 present was a S&W 640 38, 3 inch bbl. Until she moves out, I get to play with it once in a while(G)...
Old January 29, 2000, 10:07 PM   #11
Pierre

We have two 590s, one by the front door..one by the back. The ghost rings really don't mean much in home defense, but we have them anyway.....cool looking shotguns. Funny how no one ever talks about the 20ga shotguns for home defense. With the proper loads they are just as effective at close range as the 12s. We do a lot of clay shooting and the 20s match the 12s shot for shot out to 40yds or so. In house defensive shooting is an awful lot closer. An 870 youth model with the short barrel is not a bad choice. My 2c............
Old February 1, 2000, 07:57 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Pierre, a 20 ga 870 is quite effective, and handles like an M-1 carbine. We've a Youth model 870 in 20 ga for the kids,and I gotta admit it's good for doves, even with the short stock.

Friend has one with a Choate mag extension, his wife can shoot it but not a 12. I regard them as well armed....
Old February 1, 2000, 12:56 PM   #13
Brainiac

I have a MOssberg 500A. How is it any different from the 500.

thanks.
Old February 2, 2000, 02:11 AM   #14
Kevlarman

I have emailed Mossberg directly about this some time ago. They told me the "A" simply denotes that the gun is a 12 gauge.
Old February 2, 2000, 08:40 AM   #15
Brainiac

Thanks a lot Kevlarman!