The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Axelwik

Loading gate sticks out - locks up the action

I was at the range today with my 44 Magnum Rossi 92 lever gun and every once-in-a-while after shooting a round the bottom forward corner of the loading gate would stick out and the action would lock up.

I'd like to use this gun for hogs, but without knowing that I can rely on it for a quick follow up shot it's pretty much useless.

Has anyone ever seen this, or know how to fix it?

This is a relatively new gun - less than 100 rounds through it.
Old September 1, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the loading gate is defective. I would take the gun back to the dealer and get him to either fix it or return it to the factory. With a new gun (and 100 rounds is new, IMHO) I see no reason to spend your own money to fix it or return it.

Jim
Old September 1, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Axelwik

I bought it used, but unfired condition. So not the original owner.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hard to diagnose it without pictures or handling it

The carrier generally acts as a shell stop to prevent the next cartridge in the magazine tube from popping out prematurely. In the up position, the bottom lip of the carrier keeps the next cartridge from popping out. In the lowered position, the cartridge that is resting on the carrier does that same job. It could be that fresh cartridge is misaligned and thus pushing the loading gate outward.

That means the carrier isn't holding the fresh cartridge in the right place.
Old September 1, 2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Axelwik

Thanks Gary. When it does it I can use a bullet tip or my thumb to push the loading gate back in and then it functions normally. It doesn't seem like there's a cartridge blocking it when I push it back in, but I could be wrong. When it functions normally it functions very well... Very smooth action.

You could be right, I guess because if the bullet is mis-aligned it would probably jam up the action, then when I push it back in it re-aligns the bullet and it functions. I guess that the loading gate sticking out by itself would not jam the action.
Old September 2, 2013, 01:09 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't have a 92 at hand right now, but I don't see how the loading gate could be pushed out through the port, no matter what the cartridge did. I think some pictures might be in order.

Jim
Old September 2, 2013, 03:32 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Like James says, a picture would be helpful.

If the loading gate was sticking out which it shouldn't because it should be too wide to do that, at least on my Marlins they are, then it's possible that the rim of the cartridge is jammed against the frame where the loading gate should be. That would prevent the carrier from working.
Old September 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Axelwik

I didn't take any pictures when it happened, but it was the bottom forward corner of the loading gate that would stick out. I could pop it back in with a bullet tip or hard thumb pressure, then the gun would work again.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:41 PM   #9
Malamute

Check to be sure the gate screw is snug. Don't overtorque it! It could be embarrasing. Be sure the front of the gate is in proper position before torqueing the screw.

If the gate is torqued OK and it doesnt function correctly, it probably needs a new gate.

There have been some mistaken comments about how the 92 action functions. The carrier doesnt hold the rounds in place when the action is closed, the lever holds them in place when the action is closed, the cartridge stop (inside front left of receiver) holds the next rounds from coming back until the bolt closes and pushes the stop out of the way to let the next round snap back onto the carrier.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old September 11, 2013, 11:13 PM   #10
DnPRK

Check with VTI for a replacement loading gate and screw.
http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...rti+1873+Rifle

Or Taylors
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/parts...-cal-45lc.html
Old September 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Axelwik

Thank you all. I'll try adjusting the gate, then if that doesn't work, get a new one.
Old September 18, 2013, 02:22 AM   #12
triggerman770

I've got one in the shop now that does the same thing. looks like the carrier needs a little removed from the area close to the front end of the loading gate.
already tried adjusting the bend on the gate but no joy
www.georgiacarry.org