The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #51
Doyle

Quote:
The way I see it. If Savage did make a product that was truly easy to destroy by its owner as Toby Bridges implied. Savage would be sued to no end. And the product would be gone from the market place.
I'm thinking that the reason that hasn't happened is because:

1. A ML rifle in itself has a fairly narrow range of potential purchasers.
2. The vast majority of those in that narrow range that did purchase the Savage are relatively competent shooters who won't do stupid things.

That leaves a relatively small population of potential idiots who actually purchased this rifle. Remember, the chance of something going wrong and resulting in a lawsuit always goes up with the number of "opportunities" for something to go wrong. With this limited population of potential opportunities, Savage has probably just been really lucky.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #52
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Savage model 10ML II:
Hmm? lol Whats that old proverb: There's two sides to every story. There sure is on this one. There seems to be so much controversy concerning the idea of smokeless use in one particular B/P riffle. I like the concept but the write ups are so confusing. Then there's that other thought rattling around up there. Why hasn't other manufactures done the same? I guess it all boils down to: Do I take the plunge? or don't? 650.00 would be my investment. But, there's that guy down there in Mississippi that wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. And by far and away much more learn-ed than I will ever be concerning this subject. So maybe a second look is needed else where at a different brand. The Omega stainless is a fine rifle and well within the budget. As far as I know there hasn't been any written problems coming to light in its ownership? And that Encore would be perfect. But it doesn't quite fit me right> at the shoulder. Or I could save the money and enjoy those two old T/C woodsy pals I already have cased in the closet. Gee's decisions / decisions? Near a thousands hits and 50 replies later. And I'm no closer to a choice than the day I started this thread_ But I have indeed met some friendly fellows because of this thread. That indeed is a (1. plus.) I didn't expect. S~o~o~o.

Doyle: Your probably right on that prior thought. Knowing my behavior with those other modern rifles I own and reload for. I push everyone of them to their Max and on some beyond Max. So I wish I were. But in hind sight I'm not a good candidate for one of your favorites. (Savage Model 10 M/L II) Knowing my luck I'd try to push mine and pay the consequences. I could handle a black eye or bloody nose perhaps enough recoil to knock me on my butt. But the possible lose of fingers, eye, or worse. Dims the wanting of ownership here.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; April 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old April 20, 2013, 11:11 AM   #53
Hawg

Quote:
there's that guy down there in Mississippi that wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. And by far and away much more learn-ed than I will ever be concerning this subject.
Don't take my word for anything. I'm just tellin what I heard and found a couple of links. Do your own research and make up your own mind. When it comes to inlines I don't know diddly.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #54
BirchOrr

^^^

Quote:
Don't ask me to elaborate
I couldn't agree with Hawg more! Randy is very opinionated. All of us here have an opinion drawn from our own experience and preference. That's fine... we like what we like.

When you are supposedly do "professional" testing of different products, the opinion of the tester should not be a factor. After all, the reader is looking for honest advice... not an opinion. Randy bad-mouths certain products "just because" he doesn't like them. No real rhyme or reason, just that HE doesn't like them. Not at all how a professional should respond. Thus, I don't take anything he says seriously.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old April 20, 2013, 02:11 PM   #55
NoSecondBest

I've dealt with him before. If you don't agree with him or question him (politely) he can be very rude with his reply. His social skills are non-existant. He does go by opinion and opinion only. If you go to his web site and read his older articles he is in complete contridiction with his current opinions. I honestly don't know how he got to where he is. He also likes to say "we" a lot to add the inuendo that everyone agrees with him. I don't think he's likeable in any way. Seems like a lot of people feel like I do about him. I think he's a "legend in his own mind".