The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 17, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
RedBowTies88

I'm Applying For A NJ CHL

Most people will call me a fool, and they're most likely correct. However I'm tired of letting the state bully me and everyone else into not applying. My chances of having a permit granted to me I estimate are somewhere along the lines of 1 in 1000. I am fully prepared to be hasseled for the rest of my life in NJ during every future gun purchase when I'm denied...

That said I'm doing it anyway. I'm going to document every step I can to help perhaps being some light to the procedure.

I'm in the process of filling out paperwork at the moment. I will most likely submit it at the end of next week. After I speak with my 3 references and aquire several 1.5" photo's of myself as well as a $20 money order.

If you're interested in the paperwork, here's a link to it.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-642.pdf

And if you're interesed in what the firearms laws are like in NJ this video is pretty comprehensive. Thanks to our friends at the New Jersey Second Amendment Foundation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC2iu3CTPc

I would say wish me luck, but its going to take a whole lot more then that.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
RedBowTies88

As of now I'm struggling a bit as to how exactly answer question #1.

Each person applying for a Permit to Carry and Handgun must supply a letter of need, specific in content, as to why they have a need to carry a firearm in the State of New Jersey. If this application is employment-related, then your employer must supply this letter.
List the reason for this application:

I'm thinking something along the lines of...

To exercise the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed to me by the Second Amendment of the united sates of america and as further defined by the supreme court decesions of Heller vs. DC and Mcdonald vs. Chicago.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:12 PM   #3
RedBowTies88

If anyone wants to help me word that better I'm open to suggestions.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
sigcurious

Unfortunately, while symbolic, I doubt a straight rhetorical 2A statement will get you anywhere but filed away under denied. Citing the Heller decision or McDonald is likely to shoot yourself in the foot. Neither addresses carry outside of the home, only the right to own a firearm. Even if they know about the decisions or took the time to look them up it would not further your cause.

You may want to check out Calguns. Many people there share their statements of "good cause". It's across the country but it may give you some ideas about what to write. I'd imagine there might be something similar on a local NJ forum.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:35 PM   #5
JimDandy

I wouldn't consider that a "need" I'd includes some phrasing along the lines of defiensive preparedness against criminal elements as is my right under Heller, and whatever that recent Chicago case was that threw out their ban on any carry.... Basically include some lip service to the term "need" while flogging them with your right in a VERY subtle carrot and stick fashion someone like Gura or others can then use in a challenge to NJ carry law. Truth be told, I'd actually see if you could get a few minutes with someone in the NJ SAF, or Gura himself etc. to help you out with the language they want in place at the start if you're willing to be a plaintiff.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:48 PM   #6
RedBowTies88

Nothing I can do will land me anywhere but the denied pile...

I just want to make their decesion look as bad as possible.

I wonder if I can quote those judges from IL and MD who recently overturned carry restrictions?
Old January 17, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Kudos, RedBowTies88! It is precisely in the most restrictive of states where we gun owners most need folks to stand up for their rights. Applying for the CHL is one way. You may be denied, but that denial might also give you standing to be a plaintiff, and that's how we've seen lots of good legal stuff come about in recent years.

I've edited your quote just a little. My additions are underlined, and my deletions stricken through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88
. . . .To exercise the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed to me by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution of the united sates of america and as further defined by the United States Supreme Court supreme court decesions decisions of Heller vs. DC and Mcdonald vs. Chicago.
I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #8
JimDandy

To be honest, if you are, as we're interpreting, willing to set yourself up as a plaintiff, I heartily encourage you to have the NF SAF word the letter for you as much as possible. Give them the running start.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
2ndsojourn

My friends over the bridge in PA just use 'self protection' as a reason, and I would be more apt to use that rather than the 2A. Good luck & keep us posted.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:43 PM   #10
RedBowTies88

If they want to use me as a plaintiff then I'll happily ablidge. But that's not really my intent. At least not yet. They already have MUCH MUCH better plaintifs in the case they're working on now.

Really this is for my own piece of mind... to know they didn't "scare" me into not applying even though I know I'll be denied.
Old January 17, 2013, 03:53 PM   #11
JimDandy

Well hit up the SAF anyway, and give them the option of phrasing it for you.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandy
To be honest, if you are, as we're interpreting, willing to set yourself up as a plaintiff, I heartily encourage you to have the NF SAF word the letter for you as much as possible. Give them the running start.
This is an outstanding suggestion. If I were the SAF, I would want as much of a head start as I could get in positioning my plaintiff.
Old January 17, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
RedBowTies88

I made it known to the president of the NJ2AS some months that I was willing to be a plaintiff.... My friend and I actually.. They didn't seem too interested.

I mean honestly look at the guy they have now... It doens't get better then that. Kidnapped twice and still turned down for a permit!
Old January 17, 2013, 06:43 PM   #14
JimDandy

If they pass, they pass...
Old January 17, 2013, 07:07 PM   #15
Willie Sutton

Be very circumspect about the letter. I would sincerely ask that you solicit the SAF to write the letter for your signature, so that they have every legal tool available to litigate this if you are denied. it's very likely that your reaon to carry might be the key that unlocks or screws up a litigation effort later. Get with the program early in order to win the long game.

Willie