The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2012, 05:40 PM   #26
aumuddy

Tracking brass

My method of isolating good brass is as follows.
I have a 45 race gun that is sensitive to oversized brass, so I take the barrel out and drop reloaded ammo in it. If it falls in the barrel, it will cycle. (Once and a while I will find one that will not fit). I am not sure why because I use a Dillon press. In the early days I had a Lee press and would have all kinds of problems with cyclicng ammo. This is a good task to do while watching TV on the night before going to the range.
Old December 22, 2012, 05:44 PM   #27
tkglazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumuddy View Post
(Once and a while I will find one that will not fit). I am not sure why because I use a Dillon press. In the early days I had a Lee press and would have all kinds of problems with cyclicng ammo.
Causation does not equal correlation. The brand of press you use has nothing to do with whether a round chambers well or not. How you setup your dies (and the quality and condition of the components) determines that. Chances are, you are a better reloader now than back in the day when you used Lee presses. If you used an LCT now you would make as good a quality ammo as you do on your Dillon.
Old December 22, 2012, 10:48 PM   #28
abq87120

I shoot action pistol events at my local club, around 130 rounds per event. I just reload the same 150 cases that I take until that batch craps out. This may take three or four months depending on the season. Chuck it into the Rejects canister when done and start on a fresh 150 1x cases. I inspect each case as I pick it up to place in the shell holder. I have about 20 pounds of 9mm range brass so I should not need to restock for several years. I sort and cull by brand when I get a fresh batch of range pickups. My Lee carbide dies give me good service in the brass department.

This system is simple and sloppy. But, it serves its purpose and avoids a lot of book keeping.

Dan in ABQ

Last edited by abq87120; December 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM.