The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Hedning

Rolling Block question

Im about to buy two "new" rolling block rifles. I got a 1867 Konigsberg, but I want one with better sights....I found two.

They are bouth Husquarna rifles. One chambered in the standard 12.17x44. The other one is chambered in 45-70. Now, the 45-70 has a Husquarna lock and a Numrich Arms barrel. The seller claims that the barrel is just as old as the lock. I dont belive that. Any in here that could enlighten me?

He had a 500 BPE too, but a darn sweed got there before me. Ooo I really want a 500. Anyone out there ready for shipping over to Norway???

One more question. What kind of trick do you have for making a rolling block more accurate? I use to blow slowly 3 times through the barrel before reloading. Makes the fouling softer that way. But have any of you tried to use a rod and a patch soaked with water between shots? I use 70grs of 3F by the way. Nothing between the powder and the bullet. And when I mean accuracy with this kind of rifle I say it have to be better than 2.5" at 110 yds.

Have a great one....

Last edited by Hedning; March 16, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old March 16, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
salvadore

I have a trap door springfield that I load with pyrodex RS with a commercially made fiber wad between the powder and a 480gr bullet that shoots into 2" at a hundred yards. The groove diameter was .462 so I ordered a mold accordingly, you might want to check that out.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
spitpatch

rolling block

You need to protect the base of the bullet. Walters wads are the favorite here. You can cut your own out of used up juice cartons. Some use 45 brass sized and sharpend with a chamfer and deburring tool. My thoughts.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:41 PM   #4
spitpatch

45-70

The brass to use is 45acp.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:50 PM   #5
HiBC

A gentleman who has certainly devoted himself to making 45-70 rolling blocks shoot is Paul Matthews.He has written a number of books on the subject.You will get a lot of ideas to pursue.
I think with BPCR each one is unique,and you have some discovery to do.

Alloy hardness,bullet slump,neck hardness,bore ride,hot vs cool primer,etc

Venturino's "Shooting Buffalo Rifles "is very good.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Hedning

Ok. Thx guys... so "cleaning" between shots might not improve accuracy that much. Ill try your suggestions... and look up that Paul Matthews fella.... Long range competition the coming weekend, so Ill try to make my Kongsberg a little better before the 45-70 arrive.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio, just picked up a reblued Remington Rolling Block. I'm sorry but I don't know the caliber but it appeared to me that it was some infantry model of the gun.