The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 30, 2015, 08:59 AM   #1
kraigwy

The 22 rifle

I use to be a pretty good rifle shot, I'm still a dern good coach because I know what is suppose to be done but I don't shoot like I use to.

I blamed it on age, I'm 68 now so that makes a good excuse.

My kid wanted to go dove hunting as ask to barrow my 870 20 ga. so yesterday I dug it out of the gun safe. Large gun safe and it was in the back, which met I had to unload the safe to get to it.

I found my Anschutz 1807 Standard rifle. I got it out, oiled it down, oiled the stock and just fondled it like it was a long lost lover.

I haven't fired it since I retired from the National Guard in '92.

As I was rubbing it down it brought up memories of shooting ISU (International rifle), I would spend hours upon hours every week shooting that gun. Not much high power shooting in Alaska in the winter but there was small bore. I shot NRA & ISU small bore to keep in shape. I had access to our indoor Police range and I'd shoot the rifle after shift. I had a 33 yard range set up in the house and would practice on air rifle targets. I went through tons of ammo.

That was when I could shoot. It dawned on me it wasn't age, its that I quit shooting, I quit working on my shooting.

I have access to an indoor range, and I can shoot at home. My 1807 is in the front of he safe now. I'm going to learn to shoot again.

Just some random thoughts.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2015, 09:09 AM   #2
603Country

I also think that, though age may factor in, it's lack of practice that makes us a worse shot than we might have been in the past. I relearn that every time I get a new rifle. The new rifle causes me to shoot a lot, which I would not have been doing with rifles I'd had a good while. And as I shoot the new rifle and new loads, I become more comfortable with the rifle, and my shooting 'skills' get re polished.

That said, if a fellow has never been a good shot or trained to be a good shot, I can't see how practice will re polish old skills that were never there.
Old August 30, 2015, 09:21 AM   #3
velocette

Kraigwy;
I took up NRA smallbore prone competition at age 68 I couldn't see iron sights so I bought a scope to mount on my Kimber 82g. I shot that rifle to the top of the expert class (99.2%) Sold it off & bought a (well) used Annie, 54 action, composite stock & Atkinson barrel. Within 7 months I got bumped up to master (99.5% +) Now 71 & maintaining that performance level in smallbore & working on High Power, closing in on master there too.
It ain't the years down the road, its the practice and work (and struggling with arthritis & floaters in the eye.) You can do it.
Old August 30, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Tony Z

Well, my soon to be 63 year old eyes know they can't see up close, and haven't decided where they want to focus when using peeps or open sights.
Old August 30, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5
jdscholer

kraigwy, I swear to God, as we get older we revert back to doing the things we loved when we were kids. It hearkens back to a simpler time, simpler equipment, no hassle, and personal satisfaction.

I can envision the day when I'll no longer try to kill elk, but never the day when I give up on 8" trout, 22 squirrel guns, and slingshots. jd
Old August 31, 2015, 08:58 PM   #6
SARuger

I switched my Glenfield 60 and 25 to ghost rings and it made me a shooter again. I'm only 50 but can see my sight slipping. Funny enough though, I shoot clays better, it seems not being able to see made me a better pointer and I'm shooting the best I ever have on the trap ranges and clay courses.
Old August 31, 2015, 09:14 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
My 1807 is in the front of he safe now. I'm going to learn to shoot again.
Great to hear!
Old September 1, 2015, 07:52 AM   #8
g.willikers

I try to keep up by using airguns in the garage.
It's only a max of 10 yards, shooting through the laundry room, but it works.
Where we used to live there was space for a much longer airgun and .22 range, but there's no place for that where we are now.
But trigger time is trigger time.