The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 15, 2017, 07:45 PM   #1
'88Scrat

K31-What to Look For

Title pretty much sums it up, tomorrow I'm gonna hit up a local show and hopefully find the K31 that has been eluding me for a couple years now.

I know enough to know I want one but don't have any experiance with them. Wondered what you guys thought I might look for specifically when inspecting one.

Thanks!
Old September 15, 2017, 09:23 PM   #2
RC20

Hard part is that most won't let you remove it from the stock.

Typically they have damage on the rear stock from the spikes the Swiss used.

All the significant parts should have an SN, stock as well as the top cover, bolt, magazine.

Nice is not having import marks.

I was lucky enough to get one without import marks or damage to the stock.

Ironically I am still trying to get it to shoot. Barrel is as clean as a whistle (boroscope check on my part as ).

Behind butt plate may be a Troop tag of the person it was assigned to.

As they range from the 30s to the 50s, wide range of stocks and wood types.

Currently they are ramping up price wise, $550 for a decent one.

If you are willing Gunbrokers has frequent example, not cheap but it seems you better get one while the getting is good.

I also built a 7.5 x 55 on a Savage action and am having a lot of fun with it.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Slamfire

For most rifles, matching bolt and receiver numbers are important. It turns out for the K31, the Swiss made those rifles to such precision standards, all bolts fit all rifles: they all headspace. If you happen to find a Swiss K31 with a mixed bolt and receiver number, use that as a negotiation point for a lower cost.

I have two with mixed numbers, the headspace is tighter than the one with matching numbers.

Just look at the over all condition. The Swiss took exceptional care of their rifles, what the previous American owner did with that rifle, well, you have to look. You want a nice bright bore and no rust. If you like pretty stocks, look for a walnut stock. The birch stocks shoot just as well.

Work the action, try the trigger, look for loose or missing parts.
Old September 16, 2017, 12:37 PM   #4
'88Scrat

Well, the good news is I found one. The bad news is the guy was real proud of it. It was in ok condition, the part numbers all matched, but there was a lot of pitting and the stock look like someone had taken a chisel to it in some places.

He wouldn't budge on $700

I gotta vent here for a minute; about two months ago I was at a show and saw one in amazing condition being carried around by a guy who was looking to sell. He said he wanted $500 and I countered with $450 which was all I had on me. He basically told me not to insult him and walked away. I went to an ATM and got another $50. I figure it was worth $500. I find him and make him aware of my presence at a table talking to a guy about his K31 who offers him $450, the same amount I had offered him not 5 minutes ago, to which he says yes without a second thought. He looked right at me when he said yes to the guy...

I missed out on a great milsurp because... well I'm still not really sure why.

I'll find one, perhaps in two months while I'm at the Tulsa, OK show.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:07 AM   #5
Pathfinder45

Must have been the way you came across with the offer.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:53 AM   #6
RC20

You never know if its you, sort of an up yours or what. The better response would be to say I am headed for the ATM and stay right there.

Don't get me wrong, I have made my share of mistakes, so this is background not a chew out.

Know your product and what it goes for. They are selling for upwards of $600 on Gunbroker.

I don't care to be insulted by someone trying to bargain when its a good price already offered. Fine if you are happy to loose.

Also the beat up stock is typical of a gun that saw service. They wear ice cleats and those are used to beat snow off the gun or some such. Usually its the rear and the rest looks pretty good.

In my case a guy who was looking to pass his on gave me a hell of a price. I sent him extra money for that and a 1911 he wanted to sell. All his stuff was honest and I just sent him cash, with a lot more for shipping than he was asking. Long time member of the board, sometime you just take a chance.

I sure did not try to bargain. I thanked him. I got two beautiful guns.
Old September 17, 2017, 01:21 PM   #7
'88Scrat

I feel the need to clarify, when I say it looked like someone took a chisel to it I dont mean it had a few little knicks here and there I mean literally there was a 1/4" deep gash about an inch wide and 5 inches long along where the finger grooves should have been on the forestock.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Slamfire

Quote:
I feel the need to clarify, when I say it looked like someone took a chisel to it I dont mean it had a few little knicks here and there I mean literally there was a 1/4" deep gash about an inch wide and 5 inches long along where the finger grooves should have been on the forestock.
I cannot remember just who was importing these rifles in quantity back around 2000. I think Southern Ohio and Aim. Anyway I recall that one of these outfits had a K 31 scratch and dent sale. A bud of mine bought several at $45.00 apiece. He showed me one, it had a huge rub mark on the butt stock, like someone had held the buttstock against a tire or a round grinding disc, about four feet in diameter (!), and let it scratch the heck out of the butt stock. Otherwise the rifle was totally functional.

Might have been one of those scratch and dent rifles.
Old September 17, 2017, 07:24 PM   #9
'88Scrat

That would explain it.