The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 12, 2009, 07:27 AM   #26
Poseidon28

That's a GREAT site, but, for a different reason then most think. By looking at what length barrel the round hits peak velocity in, you have a REAL good idea if the round is tailored to your carry gun.

Also, you can take the length of your gun, compare it to the peak velocity of the round, and, figure out if the powder is fast or slow, and, again, is tailored to your application.

The higher the percentage of lost velocity from your length barrel, the less likely that's the best round for your gun...
Old August 12, 2009, 09:25 AM   #27
Mike Irwin
Staff

"When the ammo companies started switching to what is known as outside lubricated bullets, the type we see today"

Correction.

Heeled bullets, the kind that are now only seen in the .22 Long Rifle, are outside lubricated (heeled) bullets.

This means that the lubrication was applied to the bullet and was exposed to all outside influences, like pocket lint, dirt, etc.

Inside lubricated bullets, the kind commonly used today, have the lubrication (which is normally packed in "grease grooves") covered by the case.

Heeled bullets were originally adopted as one of the means of easily dealing with the many black powder cap and ball revolvers that were being converted to cartridge use after the Civil War.

The heeled bullet was necessary to get a bullet that would fit the bore of the gun without having to bore the cylinder larger to accommodate the larger diameter case required by inside lubricated bullets.

In the 1880s and 1890s companies began to abandon the heeled bullet because of the issues with lubrication and also because it's easier to manufacture ammo that doesn't have a heeled bullet.

To accommodate the many older revolvers that would otherwise be rendered obsolete by the new smaller diameter bullets, manufacturers used very soft lead bullets with large hollows in the base, leaving a 'skirt' at the base of the bullet.

On firing, the skirt would expand into the rifling and at least give passable accuracy. Or, at least that was the plan, which didn't always work.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 12, 2009, 09:04 PM   #28
yamaha24

I like this post
Old August 12, 2009, 10:40 PM   #29
ECHOONE

I just really dont understand why? Why they even bothered developing the 40 S&W round when they had the .45 acp which is know to do everything the .40 S&W can do, only just a little bit better with out the harsh recoil?
Old August 12, 2009, 11:18 PM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

Why have 99.9% of the rounds been developed that have been developed?

There are three, four at the most, that will get 99% of the people through 100% of their everyday shooting activities.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 12, 2009, 11:19 PM   #31
gdeal

Quote:
only just a little bit better with out the harsh recoil?
do you really think .40 S&W is harsh? I don't think so. maybe you are thinking about the 10mm.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:02 AM   #32
Jim March

The 40 is actually a pretty good compromise round: it allows decent power yet a double-stack magazine doesn't result in a King Kong-sized grip.
Old August 13, 2009, 05:29 AM   #33
darkgael

history

Quote:
But why do they call it a .38 then if it is really closer to a .36 ?
Quote:
I dig history.
The explanations about the nomenclature of the .38(.357) are the best that I've seen on an Internet forum. The whole practice of naming cartridges is fascinating if frequently illogical.
Examples of this are many, in addition to the .38.
A few are:
The 9mm Luger is .355" dia. but the 9mm Makarov is .362-.365" dia.
The .44 Special and .44 Magnum are .429 dia.
The .454 Casull is .452.
And then there's rifle cartridges. The .219s are actually .224s. The 256 Win is .257. The 240 Weatherby is .243. And on and on.
Pete
Old August 13, 2009, 08:37 AM   #34
gdeal

Quote:
yet a double-stack magazine doesn't result in a King Kong-sized grip.
funny.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:09 AM   #35
Poseidon28

Since no one makes a 45 Super or 45 ACP plus P, double stack, 10 round gun, with decent magazines, for a reasonable price, in the People's Republic of California that is approved by our Gun Dictator, the Glock 29 is pretty much as many rounds, with as much punch, as you can get in a Kalifornia gun.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:00 PM   #36
Gun 4 Fun

Mike Irwin-

You are correct, and thanks for straightening that out. It is what I meant, but not what I typed. My bad. I got my terminology backwards.
Old August 13, 2009, 07:13 PM   #37
tipoc

Quote:
Why they even bothered developing the 40 S&W round when they had the .45 acp which is know to do everything the .40 S&W can do, only just a little bit better with out the harsh recoil?
Because the .40 fits in the same size handgun as the 9mm. As mentioned one objection to the 10mm was that folks were giving up sleek lightweight 9mms for heavier, larger 10mms. For gun manufacturers, S&W, Glock, Springfield, etc., the .40 meant they could use the same size frames as they were using for their 9mm guns. Round count in a mag is also higher with the .40 than the .45 in a piece of the same size.

tipoc
Old August 13, 2009, 07:20 PM   #38
Poseidon28

Good point. Also, in free states, the large capacity magazines are an advantage, and, lightweight guns for police are important, since back problems from the cop belt end up in a bunch of money spent, through insurance.