The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2007, 05:37 PM   #1
MikeRussell

short OAL?

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to reloading, so bear with me. I made up a few of my first test rounds (have yet to fire them) on a couple of different set ups. I was kind of questioning the FMJ (actually plated) 230gr load in the Hodgdon manual. It was for a OAL of 1.200, with somewhere in the range of low 4s to low 5s in grains (I loaded 4.8) of W231, Winchester LP primers. Now, I've seen a lot of people and other avenues recommending higher powder charges and a longer OAL (in the 1.225 - 1.25 range). Does this load seem a bit short for the powder charge or am I just being overly cautious? It looks really short when loaded too.

My other load I'm testing is a 200gr LRNFP over 4.7gr of W231 w/ OAL of 1.225 (middle of the road loading according to the Hodgdon manual, there was no LRNFP listed, so I used the data for a LSWC). Anything seem out of the ordinary on that one to anyone?
Old January 22, 2007, 05:47 PM   #2
JohnLizCas

short OAL

Try looking at other reloading manuals or go online to the powder manufacturer's reloading sections. OALs differ according to methods used in testing. If you're not sure check with other sources. Don't take chances with your hands and eyes not being the way God created them.
If the rounds turn out to be too short, use a bullet puller to disassemble the rounds and reload them to longer specs
Old January 22, 2007, 05:50 PM   #3
okiefarmer

Mike,

You don't state as such, but I am assuming you are loading the ACP round with that area of OAL. My manual, the LEE, indicates a minumum 1.19 OAL, with 231 powder (4.8 - 5.1 gr) with a 230 JRN. Anything over that is not going to hurt as long as it fits in the mag. Less OAL would possibly be a compressed load and that could cause problems. Seat it out as far as you like, or wherever it feeds best in your toy.

My two pesos,

Okie out