The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 22, 2001, 08:38 PM   #1
Brock

Picked up a box of these the other day. On the box end is printed, 3-D Brand/Hornady, RMFG, 55 gr. V-maxx. The bullets look like they are red plastic tipped. Anyone familiar with this cartridge and how it performs?
Old April 22, 2001, 09:05 PM   #2
abrahamsmith

Hornady

They're hornady's V-Max bullets (which you already knew)..

check out http://www.hornady.com. It's got good info on hornady's products..
Old April 23, 2001, 12:04 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Considering that Ol' wiley deserves as quick and clean a demise as Bambi, I'd call the .223 a good coyote gun, out to 200 yards or so. Anything over that and shot placement becomes even more critical--as does your own skill level.

$0.02, Art
Old April 23, 2001, 05:01 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Brock, those are 3-D remanufactured (reloaded) shells. As pointed out they use the Hornady bullets. #-D is a good company, so the ammo should perform well.

Giz
Old April 16, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5
fishenhard

223 Rifle Coyotee Varmint Duster

I purchased 2 cases of the 55gr.SP a few years ago.. I loved the way they grouped when shot out of my Remington Model 700. And I really liked the price on them. I went down today to buy another case or two of them and found out that my store no longer carries them or any other store in my town. Can any one help out with where a guy might order these from. Thanks to anyone that might be able to help..
Old April 18, 2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Jseime

sounds good, yotes arent as tough as they seem, they are also smaller than they look you should be quite happy with a .223 varmint rifle
Old April 22, 2005, 02:48 PM   #7
knightkrawler00

I've taken four Coyotes with the 50gr VMAX in 223. Three dropped instantly, two chest and one head shot, the fourth took a quick follow up to finish. The two one shot stops to the chest happened within 20 yards. The one shot to the head was at 200 yards, I pulled the shot and got extremely lucky. The fourth was at 150 yards, the bullet hit straight on in the lower jaw and didn't penetrate far enough to cause serious injury, but took the whole jaw off. I was a little excited on that one, first coyote, over estimated the distance, and held way too high.

The 55gr shouldn't perform much different than the 50gr, I think you will be happy with it. And, the sound of the impact is very impressive.