The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
firme67

Single Stack Full Size Polymer??

I am looking to add another pistol to the collection. High capacity is not important to me, 10+1 is fine. I would like to find a full sized 9mm, hammer fired, polymer pistol. current models I am looking at are the Ruger P95 and the Taurus 809. I have not actually handled these models to get the feel for them. My problem is I believe these models may have too wide of grip for me. (For Reference the Taurus 24/7 grip is too big for my hands) I have relatively small hands so high cap, double stack pistols do not fit me. So my question is:

Is there a full sized, narrow gripped, hammer fired, polymer pistols you all would reccomend to me? I have a PT1911 in 9mm already (great gun!), just would like to add another for the fun of it. (Hammer fired is just a personal preference, if not an option I would go with striker fired)

Thank You.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
angel71rs

Recommend the M&P9, if willing to consider striker fired, for the interchangeable back straps. My GF has small hands, can grip it fine with the medium back strap, prefers the small. Available with low capacity 10 round mags if that's what you want or normal capacity.

Last edited by angel71rs; December 8, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old December 8, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Officer's Match

Kahr TP9 if you drop the hammer requirement.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-TP9...ght-Sights.asp

Old December 8, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4
PSP

I second the Kahr TP9. My favorite Kahr model. It has a 4" barrel, holds 8+1 rounds, has a full grip, smooth trigger, is narrow in width and light in weight.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Dashunde

Now that you mention it, I'm having a hard time coming up with more than a couple of hammered polys in any configuration... CZ P07 and a few others here and there.
Hammers seem to be mostly in metal frames

If your getting along with the grip size of the PT1911 you should also be able to manage a Walther PPQ? No?
Perhaps your just not getting ahold of any double stacks that actually fit you and feel right?
Old December 8, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Now that you mention it, I'm having a hard time coming up with more than a couple of hammered polys in any configuration...
All poly HKs are hammer fired. They are all double stacked though. Single stacking will limit your capacity to 8 rounds I think. Ten or more would be a very long grip length.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:08 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

Yep... Kahr TP9... Capacity is 7+1 or 8+1 with extended mag.

Buds has it for $571 (+ transfer, usually $25):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13192
Old December 8, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

The P95 and M&P 9 are NOT single stack, but you DO need to handle them before making a decision. The Kahr suggested above is probably a good option, and the trigger is pretty nice.
Old December 8, 2012, 11:50 AM   #9
spacecoast

If you're going for single stack, you might as well move up to .45ACP, no point in limiting yourself to 9mm. A Ruger P345 is a great single stack hammer fired polymer frame pistol with a slim grip, and not very expensive.
Old December 8, 2012, 12:06 PM   #10
PSP

Quote:
Yep... Kahr TP9... Capacity is 7+1 or 8+1 with extended mag.
The old style TP9 accepts the 7 round mag, but all newer TP9s only accept the 8 round mags. The grip was lengthened in the new style.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:46 PM   #11
kahrguy

The TP kahr is also way lighter than any 1911a being a stricker fired pistol no other safeties to deal with ether.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
weblance

The Ruger LC9 is single stack, poly framed, narrow grip, hammer fired, 7+1. Just a bit smaller than full size. It is DAO, so even though hammer fired, there is no ability for Single Action capability. I like mine alot. Very accurate for a short barrel and lots of accessories available
Old December 8, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
tahunua001

I'm not certain if it will be offered in any calibers beyond 45ACP but rock river arms is releasing a polymer framed 1911.