The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
sandman31774

Thinking about a slug gun

I have found a good spot where shots are 100 yds max...50-75 in most cases....hogs are using this pretty good right now....i have a 30-30 and probably picking up a 45-70 soon...not that i need it..ha..just want it i admit.....but the fully rifled slug guns have always appealed to me also...i'm thinking about maybe picking up an 870 slug gun to put some pork in the freezer. I can always use it for deer hunting also...just to have another gun...can't have too many right? ha
What experiences have any of you had with 12 gauge slugs vs hogs? Fully rifled barrel i'll be using sabot slug i guess.
I do want optics of some sort....red dot? 4x scope? Figure it needs to withstand a little recoil to say the least.

What opinions ya got for me? Thanks
Old October 10, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Noreaster

Slug guns are funny. I had an 870, 22 inch RS, with a rifled choke tube that wouldn't group. Went to a Mossberg 500 fully rifled and it was decent, nothing special, and slugs were very very expensive. I purchased a pardner pump 18.5 inch cylinder bore ($168.00 on sale at Dick's,) for HD and it shoots cheap Winchester 1oz rifled slugs like a custom rifle. I bought a cheap bushnell slug scope ($60.00 at Wallly World,) and the results are awesome. I stopped using my other shotguns for deer and use the sub $250.00 Pardner setup for all my slug hunting.

Side note my son's mossberg 20 gauge shoots federal rifled slugs into one ragged hole at 50 yards with a vent rib modified choke barrel. Bought him a cylinder bore rifled sight barrel and it doesn't shoot nearly as well. Tried Truball (because they have a great reputation,) and still can't beat the modified choke bird barrel with federal slugs. Go figure.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
*NOVA*

I have not been hunting hogs, hope to one day. That being said I can vouch for what the other folks are saying - slugs are EXPENSIVE. I agree when you first get your slug barrel you'll have to try a few different brands of slugs to see what works best for your barrel. For me the Remington Acutip slug worked for my 22" rifled and ported Mossberg. Only other thought is a decent scope will withstand the recoil. Make sure you have plenty of eye relief for your scope and consider attaching a recoil reducing stock. 100 yard shots are realistic for your situation, I believe.

Other folks might say why not just buy a rifle instead? I say keep an open mind.
Old October 10, 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
hardworker

I've got an H&R single shot 20 gauge and it is a good slug gun. But slug guns are ammo finicky. And slugs aren't cheap. But it is a big piece of lead
Old October 10, 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
meatgrinder42

Never had a problem with my 870. I shoot rifled slugs though, one of my brothers and my dad shoot rifled barrels with Hornady STX???? (probably got the name wrong) slugs and I can match them with my Slugger HVs.

We all use the rifle sights that come on the 870's slug barrels.
Old October 10, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
customaquatics

you guys no ima recommend the mossy 500
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old October 10, 2011, 10:50 PM   #7
MontyCop05

How about the Savage 220 or 212? Love mine. Just put it together, haven't taken any animals with it yet. Can't wait to get it out in the field.

Old October 10, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8
Big Pard

I have a 20ga H&R Ultra Hunter and it shoots a variety of slugs very well. Plus they are relatively inexpensive.