The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 18, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1
roadhammer

trying to disassemble a rem 1100

newbie here....... I've seen a vid I have downloaded the manual and everything seems real straight forward for disassembly, but I can't seem to press the feed latch to get the bolt out, I have some oil on it right now.......
Old February 18, 2010, 01:48 AM   #2
zippy13

Greetings roadhammer, and welcome aboard.

Are you applying pressure to the feed latch or the interceptor latch? An easy mistake for a newbie. They are on opposite sides of the receiver, and it's easy to get disoriented if the action is inverted. Have another look at your parts diagram.
Old February 18, 2010, 01:02 PM   #3
oneounceload

You need to watch that latch as well - lots of sharp edges on it and inside the receiver. The latch you want is on the same side as the ejection port, down at the bottom, just inside the opening where you load your shells. It doesn't stick out very far - the whole assembly will EASILY slide right out if done properly. Don't force it!

Zippy - you have hints for removing the stock? Mine is REALLY on there and I am afraid of cracking it if I use too much force.
Old February 18, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4
zippy13

Zippy - you have hints for removing the stock? Mine is REALLY on there and I am afraid of cracking it if I use too much force.
oneounceload, I've never had that problem. For those unfamiliar with the 1100 , it doesn't have a typical stock bolt. There's a tube in the stock the houses the action spring and the tube has a T-nut that anchors the stock against a washer. Where the stock is let into the receiver there's a bearing plate.

1-oz
, can you tell if the stock is binding at the receiver overlap or along the action spring tube? Typically a stubborn stock can be freed by backing the stock bolt a few turns and then tapping the screwdriver with a mallet. This isn't the case with the 1100 because of the possibility of damaging the spring tube assembly. If there's a trick to removing a stuck 1100 stock, I'm not up to speed. Hopefully, one of the other members has a suggestion. You may have to rig some sort of puller that incorporates a stock cradle.

I don't know about your corner of Florida, has the gun been stored in a humid environmental? You could put a wood moisture meter across the butt's end grin. If the reading is alarmingly high, that will give you a clue. You solution may be as simple as slowly getting the moisture level reduced. A little bit of shrinkage can go a long way.
Old February 18, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5
oneounceload

I've been in FL 6+ years, but the gun is older than that - learned my lesson with a Browning where too much torque created a crack through the wrist and cost me a new butt stock (and I go a wrong-handed one from Browning to boot).

This wood is too pretty........used a large balded screwdriver in the slot, but it just will NOT budge at all

We'll see if someone else here has a suggestion.......
Old February 18, 2010, 03:26 PM   #6
oneounceload

oops - dupe post
Old February 18, 2010, 04:16 PM   #7
zippy13

oneounceload,
Is your problem the spring tube nut won't come off, or, the nut is off and the stock won't move? I don't know why, I'd assumed it was the latter condition.

If the nut won't come loose, could you get in there with a rotabroach type cutter and remove the flange? That would free the retention washer and the stock should come free. Then you could address removing the remainder of the nut from the spring tube.

If you're gonna make an omelet, ya gotta break some eggs.
Old February 18, 2010, 04:35 PM   #8
oneounceload

T'aint the eggs I'm worried about breaking!

Can't get anything loose after removing the recoil pad. Whatever they torqued the nut/retention device with must have been formerly used on a NASCAR track. I'm leery, because my Browning stock had been red loctited down to the point I cracked the stock trying to remove it.

Maybe there is a special tool? I remember Brownell's having something. My rule is DON'T force it - it either goes in/out easy or I'm doing something not quite right
Old February 18, 2010, 06:04 PM   #9
BigJimP

or just buy a Benelli Super Sport .......sorry couldn't resist ....

Other than being a smart_ _ _, I had no input other than to say I'd check with a couple of guys that shoot 1100's and see if he has any input for you ...
Old February 18, 2010, 10:03 PM   #10
zippy13

oneounceload and BigJimP
See PM
Old February 19, 2010, 10:23 PM   #11
speedsixman

I think Brownell's has a special tool for removing the stock. Might be better to spend a few dollars to keep from boogering something up. I have never seen a regular screwdriver wide enough to fit the nut properly.
There is a step-by-step disassembly guide for the 1100 over on the Shotgun World forum. Scroll down to the section called "I love my"----- Remington. It is a sticky at the top of the Remington section.

Myron
Old February 20, 2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Logs

Also do a search on YOUTUBE you can file nice step by step videos of dissassembly on the 1100's