The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 19, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1
douggamm

ready for spring shootin. Itchy trigger finger.

have about 600 rounds down my rem 700 sps varmint now stickin with 168 grn Sierra MK hpbt with 36 grn IMR 4895 pushin it and the accuracy is sublime. Found trigger time to be priceless. I'm really happy with it! Waitin for winter to let go of Michigan now to make it a bit more comfortable than laying in the snow all bundled up and fighting the wind. Sheesh! C'mon spring. Real impressed with the Nikon glass I got too. I recommend it. Very crisp and clear. Its only a utility 3-9x40, I dont really need anything more here. I only max it out from 7-7.5X @ 100 yrds. Does great for $140 on sale at Dunhams. Hoping the ammo rush settles down pretty soon so I can get some more reloading materials again. Probably won't happen till mid summer though. If then.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
tahunua001

hopefully now that the AWB has been scrubbed from the gun sales reform bill 308 and all the other scarey cartridges and components will be easier to get a hold of.

good choice with what I'm assuming is a Nikon prostaff, so far the best scopes that I've bought. redfield and leupold are more expensive and I've had horrible experiences with both.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3
g.willikers

Sounds like you need a portable shooting shed with heat.
Oh wait, you have one.
Your car.
Pick a nice, really cold day when there's not likely to be anyone else out at the range.
Park the car sideways to the range and shoot from your nice warm and toasty seat.
Just remember to roll the window down, first.
No kidding, we used to do that all winter long.
If there was anyone else crazy enough to be there, they didn't mind in the least.
They usually would do it, too.
Old March 20, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Jerry45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001
hopefully now that the AWB has been scrubbed from the gun sales reform bill 308 and all the other scarey cartridges and components will be easier to get a hold of.
Anyone that believes this is even close to over is delusional. Fieinstene is expected to add amendments to other bslls. She, Shumer and their ilk are out for blood. Fienstene is nowhere near ready to rollover http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ban-89109.html

People better keep up with what is REALLY gong on, the whole story not just what CSNBC, MSMBC etc. etc. is throwing out, or we will all loose.
Old March 23, 2013, 01:42 PM   #5
-Xero-

I have a Rem. 700 PSS, .308 Win., Leupold Mark 4, ER/T 50 mm 6.5 - 20x Mil Dot, 80 mm hood, Rock River bipod -- but most of the time I use a Caldwell Rock rest.

168 gr. seems to be the preferred bullet weight in these rigs. It's what the armed forces snipers load. I use Hodgdon 4895 -- right in the middle of the data specs. I do some neck shaving and primer pocket work as discussed in Varmint Al's pages --

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Al has a link from this page here that's worth looking over!

When this ammo hoarding thing blows over, I should set up the chrono and go at it. Otherwise it's spot-on.

Ahhhhhhh, but here's the best idea I've had so far -- I had a Jewell trigger installed, dials down to 1.5 oz. and no creep whatever. Jewell says if I want to go below 1.5 oz. they'll send me the spring. I have it set at about 3 oz. and that's amazing off the bench. Best $$$ I've ever put into a rifle!

I like setting up out in the Central OR desert, around the Deschutes, running out 300, 400, 500 yds.