The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Homemade Annealing Machine

Needing electrical/engineering help.

Am wanting to build annealing machine using a small motor and speed control for use with single piece annealing of brass.
Similar to the one at the bottom of this link
http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

I believe either one of these motors will work since they are low RPM.
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/120va...otor65rpm.aspx
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/115va...ttentduty.aspx

Now I not sure where to find the speed control/what kind that will work for these motors or how to wire them exactly.

Can anyone help me out on this adventure.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
hounddawg

No eletrical engineering degree required. White wire goes to hot which is the silver screw on a electrical plug and the black wire goes to common which is the black screw on the plug. I thought about doing this once myself but for 100 cases every month or so it was too much effort. It's easier for me to get out a deepwell socket, a cordless drill and spend 30 minutes in a semi dark room. Now if I did 500 cases a month it would be worth it for sure.

Good luck on your project
Old January 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
ruger357w

I'm not trying to be a pain but I'm an electrition and the last time I checked the white wire is the Neutral and the black wire is the Hot wire.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
hounddawg

yep I had it bass ackwards, thanks for the correction. Been retired for 4 years now and forgot everything I ever knew
Old January 12, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

For that second motor, you need to find out what the duty cycle is.
It's listed as "intermittent duty". That means it isn't designed for continuous operation. Depending on what it was designed for, the duty cycle could be anything from 5 sec on / 15 min off, to 5 min on / 1 min off.

....Or just avoid anything with an intermittent duty cycle.

For a speed control, you should be able to use a ceiling fan speed controller. Easy wiring - you just need a single-gang box to mount it.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:03 PM   #6
browninghunter86

another forum said the 65 RPM model motor I would not need a speed controller but if it is simple to add should just go ahead and add it on so I have it if I ever need it.

The motor and a rheostat should be under $20 and should be all I need so not expensive at all and sure would help in annealing
Old January 12, 2013, 06:41 PM   #7
musher

For what it's worth, it wouldn't be too much more trouble to run the case holder using a belt/pully from the motor.

Then you could use just about any old motor and you could pick the ratio between the pulleys to give you the final rpm you want. No variable speed needed.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:18 PM   #8
jmorris

You will get a lot more consistant results with a homemade annealer like the ones in this album.

http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/use...aler?start=all
Old January 12, 2013, 10:11 PM   #9
browninghunter86

I don't have the stuff to make one like yours. I did my last anneal using an impact drill(very hard to control speed that the case will spin at) and a torch mounted to be adjustable height and used with a metronome/tempilaq 750 and got pretty consistent results.

But something diff would be easier and faster
Old January 13, 2013, 09:32 AM   #10
jmorris

Quote:
I don't have the stuff to make one like yours.
Over the years I have seen people get pretty creative putting one together. This fellow built his out of wood.

Old January 13, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
CurlyQ.Howard

Excellent article. Thanks for the link.