The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 7, 2000, 11:46 AM   #1
Meiji_man

Small revolver. Looks like a .32 or .30 or 9mm or so. Break action, I think 5 round cylinder. theres two in the case of the same design, one is blued with a "brass" frame. The other is stainless. The "Brass" one has black handles with US stamped on it. The othe has the US and a face of an owl on it. Does anyone know what this is?
Old July 7, 2000, 02:23 PM   #2
Paul B.

I think the one with the owlon the grip is an Iver Johnson, probably a .32 short.
Not too sure about the brass one though.
Are there more markings on these revolvers? I could use a few more details.
Paul B.
Old July 7, 2000, 02:41 PM   #3
Meiji_man

The markings have been worn away.
Old July 7, 2000, 10:47 PM   #4
JimWolford

The "brass" one might be a Marlin

John Marlin started his empire making a close copy of the early S&W, his gun however was for a 30 cal rimfire cartrige, the only gun to use this ammo, I think.

Originally, Marlins gun was a brass frame with nickle plating on it, the barrel and cylinder was either nickle or blue, your choice.

Not particularly rare, but Marlin collectors might be interested, if you know any

Jim
Old July 8, 2000, 04:45 PM   #5
Paul B.

Jim. Colt also made a pocket pistol in .30 rimfire. It was a single action with a spur trigger. I think it was called the "New Line" but it has been years since I saw it. It was stolen in 1957. Too bad as it was a family heirloom.
Paul B.
Old July 8, 2000, 06:29 PM   #6
Meiji_man

Ok went back down to the store and took another look. The SS one is made by Smith and Wesson and and is called a "Secret Service" what were these chambered in?
Old July 9, 2000, 12:07 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't place the name "Secret Service" with any S&W. I think there was a Spanish revolver using that name; it was typical 1920's Spanish pot metal "junque" and essentially worthless. Some of those had a marking like "use SMITH & WESSON cartridges" or something similar to fool the buyer.

Copy down as much of the markings as you can read, and we will give this one another shot (pun intended).

Jim