The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2000, 07:34 PM   #1
Hard Ball

I have three Smith&Wesson .45ACP revolvers (A model 25, a model 26, and a model 625). All three are very accurate with metal jacketed bullets, but I can't seem to get good results with reloads using lead bullets. I don't have this problem with my Colt Gold Cup. Is this something inherent in the revolvers, the rifling perhaps, or is there some special reloading techniques I need to know?
Old March 17, 2000, 12:12 AM   #2
Grayfox

It could simply be that your revolvers don't like the load you're using or perhaps the bullets are too soft.
I shoot more lead than anything else in my .45acps and .45 Colts with good results. I'd try experimenting with the loads and some different bullets first.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!
Old March 17, 2000, 07:48 AM   #3
NJW

I second Grafox's comment's. I have a 1955 Target and 2 625's (5" & 3") and they all shoot lead bullets great. One thing that I do with my 45 ACP revolvers is to use a seperate batch(one certain headstamp)of brass that only goes in my revolvers. I do this because I Redding profile roll crimp the ammo for my revolvers. I have found this to make things more consistant. As grafox said, experiment with some different loads and bullets.

NJW in AZ
Old March 17, 2000, 09:57 AM   #4
JoeHatley

Hard Ball,

Like the other folks have suggested, I'd try several different loads. You probably should concentrate on the bullet 1st, velocity 2nd.

For a place to start, I'll pass on my favorite (most accurate) .45 acp load. I use it in all my .45's, including a 625.

200 grain LSWC cast Silver Bullet (fairly hard)
4.5 grains Bullseye
Federal standard primers
Mixed cases

I seat the bullet just a couple thousandths short of the SWC sholder, and use a slight roll crimp.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old March 17, 2000, 12:10 PM   #5
Hard Ball

I have tried a number of different loads and powders. I think perhaps you have identified the problem. It may well be bullet hardness.
I wil get some hardcast lead bullets and try again.

Thanks for the advice.
Hard Ball
Old March 17, 2000, 05:26 PM   #6
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

I've had good luck with the 200 gr. H&G bullet cast hard, over both Bullseye and Unique, in my 1911's and revolvers. For the S&W 25-2, I also like to use the 250 gr. .45Colt Keith bullet in either ACP or Auto Rim cases, for a sort of pseudo-Webley 'punkin-ball' load. It takes a well-tuned 1911 to shoot as well as a revolver with these loads. Even my Ruger Blackhawk convertible shoots the 200 gr. well in its ACP cylinder. Part of my good accuracy may be because I have put a Brownell custom barrel chamfer on all my revolvers. It has usually helped reduce leading and spitting, and increased accuracy, on every gun so altered. slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Old March 17, 2000, 06:26 PM   #7
Trigger Jerk

No one has yet mentioned the possibillity that the forcing cone might need to be opened up a little. You need a little "wider funnel" for the lead bullets.

The crown could be another problem, but I doubt it since your accuracy is okay with jacketed bullets.
Old March 20, 2000, 02:18 PM   #8
Paul B.

I have not seen anyone mention chamber mouths. If the lead bullet is smaller than the chamber mouths, this can be a source of inaccuracy. Colt Single Actions are notorious for having that problem. See if your bullets are a snug, or better yet, tight fit in the chamber mouths.
Paul B.