The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 23, 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
dougbull

re-white letters s+w 442-2

Hello, I thought there was a post here a little while ago about re- whiting letters, I think the poster made the letters white on his x-d. maybe I am wrong. But is there a way to re-white the letters on the s+w 442-2 that I just bought and make it look right? THANKS
Old April 23, 2011, 04:27 PM   #2
AK103K

I just use model paint in the color I want. Slightly overfill what I want highlighted, let it dry, then wipe the excess off with a patch wet/damp with Hoppes, WD-40, Gun Scrubber, etc.
Old April 23, 2011, 05:55 PM   #3
LarryFlew

+1 for model paint. Almost all of my bluer guns have white lettering and my silver guns have black lettering
Old April 25, 2011, 09:49 PM   #4
HKFan9

How well does model paint last after oil and solvents get a hold of it. Normally I like to use EEZOX or CLP. I have a HK P7 that I might get the slide refinished and would like to re-white the letters.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:57 AM   #5
AK103K

Solvents will eventually get to the model paints, but they are easy to touch up. You really have to soak the spot and rub it too to start to see a difference. Paint on a smooth barrel tends to come off quicker than paint in the recess's of the letters.

You could also use fingernail polish. Its a little more durable.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
publius

Cleaning products will destroy model paints. I get a bottle of white car touch up paint an suck some into a hypodermic needle. Works great. Make sure your gun is completely de-greased with paint thinner.
Old April 28, 2011, 09:14 PM   #7
HKFan9

Hmmm never even considered the nail polish... OR the car touch up stuff..... I guess I get to get weird stares when checking out nail polish now.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:59 AM   #8
shanzlik

Lacquer sticks also work well and are easy to apply. Markal is one brand. Brownell's also sells some but I hven't tried those. http://www.brownells.com/1/3/brownells-lacquer-stick
Old April 29, 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
AK103K

Quote:
Cleaning products will destroy model paints.
For the most part, they do, but its really not as bad as it sounds. The solvent usually has to sit on the paint a little while before it dissolves it, and usually some effort is involved at getting it off.

On the plus side, where the lettering is usually located on the gun, solvents arent usually present, or at least in any quantity or length of time to really be a problem.

The solvent issue is itself also somewhat of a plus, as it does allow you to pretty easily remove the paint completely if you chose later, or easily touch it up. It also makes it easier to get a good job of it done, as removing the excess is pretty easy.