The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2024, 10:16 PM   #1
Texas Scott

32 Remington

Hi,folks! Thanks for accepting me as a forum member.

As a relative rookie as far as forums go I do understand that proper etiquette is to look around a bit before starting new threads and/or asking questions to see if an issue has been previously discussed. A little surfing around to see if the question that I have has been discussed, was to no avail.

I recently got my hands on a Remington Model 14 A chambered in 32 Remington. The gun is in nice shape and I received it in return for some work done for an elderly feller. Well, this is my first experience with this chambering, and with 'obsolete' firearms in general. My excitement with having a new firearm to play with was quickly dampened by the realization the ammo, reloading tools and components are largely made out of that material that many of us have had experience with at one time or another....unobtanium. This is not the first forum where I have expressed my plight, and I received a lot of good "these folks carry those" suggestions, all of which have turned out to be dry holes.

Anybody here have any suggestions as to where I may obtain a set of dies, at least? I understand that 30-30 brass can be modified to work but unless I can get further along with that I may have a 'wall hanger' that can keep my non-functional Win Model 97 company over my fireplace.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Texas Scott
Old February 14, 2024, 01:39 AM   #2
hammie

Yes 32 remington can be made from 30-30 Win. Turn the rim flush with body and cut an extractor groove. Taper expand the neck and full length re-size. It can also be made from 30 remington,... if you can find it. Just taper expand the neck and full length re-size. (Source: "The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions" by John J. Donnelly)

Fortunately, you shouldn't need to do that. Midway USA and Graf & Sons, offer 32 remington un-primed brass. And, Midway Usa, Midsouth Shooters Supply, and Graf & Sons all offer .321 diameter bullets and dies. Although it looks like the only available brand of dies for 32 remington is Redding.
Old February 14, 2024, 01:56 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I understand that 30-30 brass can be modified to work
Not without lathe work. and you'd still need .32 Rem dies for best results.

Without hitting my books, what I can tell you is that, back in the day, Remington made a line of cartridges as their versions of Winchester's in .25, .30, and .32 calibers, all on the same basic case. It was rimless where Winchesters rounds were all rimmed. The case body diameters were close, but the shoulders were different. I'll hit the books for exact specs later...

One of the guys my Dad hunted with in the 70s had a .30 Rem pumpgun, and I have loading manuals that say use .30-30 data for .30 Rem, and .32 Special data for .32 Rem.

To convert .30-30 brass into .30 or .32 Rem, you would first have to turn the case rim off, then cut an extractor groove, and then work on sizing and fire forming. This would be a last ditch option but could be done with enough work.

Dies exist, but are unlikely to be found, easily. If you have deep pockets, you could have a new set made, but that will be spendy as a custom caliber always is.

The case head size is .418" which is an uncommon size today.
Good luck, I'll keep looking, too.
Old February 14, 2024, 02:13 AM   #4
hammie

Redding 32 Remington dies are currently in stock at Midway USA. Brass is in stock at Grafs and Midway. Bullets are also in stock at Midway, Grafs, and Midsouth shooters supply. Although the brass is expensive: approx 50 $ for 20 pieces.

Last edited by hammie; February 14, 2024 at 02:57 AM.
Old February 14, 2024, 01:26 PM   #5
Texas Scott

Thank for the great info 44. May be getting the cart way ahead of the horse but I've already modified a dozen 30-30 brass on my hobby lathe. Ground one tool for the extractor groove and thinning the head, and just a standard tool for reducing head diameter. Worked quite well. If you come across any other load data I would appreciate it.
Old February 14, 2024, 01:38 PM   #6
Texas Scott

Many thanks to all of you for replying to my post. I've ordered Redding Dies and will check on bullets. I've read that the Model 14 pump is a fussy eater preferring RN bullets.
Old February 14, 2024, 01:50 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Hammie got you covered on commercially made dies and components. In your shoes, if you haven't already, I would deburr the flash holes (so the burrs don't interfere with the measurement) and use the depth probe on the back of a caliper beam to measure from the mouth to the web inside a case you intend to convert. Subtract that measurement from the overall length of the same case. You want the difference to be at least 0.175" to be sure there is enough brass. If it is less, I would section one converted case to inspect for thin spots in the brass. You could also shell out for one box of commercial brass to compare weight and the result of that same measurement.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 14, 2024, 06:30 PM   #8
mikejonestkd

You can make 32 remington brass from 30-30 brass.
I have a 30 remington rifle and made brass for it during covid when I couldn't find new brass.
It wasn't difficult, just time consuming. all I used was a drill press and files.

the good news is that Grafs usually lists 32 remington brass. I suggest you start there to see if they have it in stock

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/24784

Last edited by mikejonestkd; February 14, 2024 at 06:44 PM.
Old February 14, 2024, 07:06 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

I found one page on the .32 Remington in the obsolete cartridge section of my old 1970 Lyman manual.

It includes a warning about barrels being found as small as .319" and advises the loader to slug their barrel.

There is data for one 170gr jacketed bullet and two cast with gas check slugs.

They give their "factory duplication load" as 33.0gr IMR 4895 pushing the 170gr jacketed to 2070fps from a 22" Rem Model 8.

The 14 and the 141 have the "spiral magazine tubes" which make them safe to use with pointed bullets.

Quote:
I've read that the Model 14 pump is a fussy eater preferring RN bullets.
I've never heard that, but I do know that all the Remington factory ammo for the round was loaded with round nose bullets for some reason lost to time.
Old February 14, 2024, 07:12 PM   #10
mikejonestkd

Quote:
I've never heard that, but I do know that all the Remington factory ammo for the round was loaded with round nose bullets for some reason lost to time.
my remington model 8 in .30 rem has a fairly short magazine, I run out of room trying to load 150 spire points unless I seat them deep.

I am guessing that remington loaded their ammo with RN due to magazine length issues.
Old February 15, 2024, 03:33 PM   #11
Texas Scott

Websites that carry ammo, when in stock, usually specify that 'pointed' projectiles are for the Model 8's only.

Also, thanks for the load data. I'm down to finding bullets and I'll be set. May have to have a mold custom made.

Last edited by Texas Scott; February 15, 2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old February 15, 2024, 03:53 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Websites that carry ammo, when in stock, usually specify that 'pointed' projectiles are for the Model 8's only.
That seems like excessive CYA to me, but that's the world we live in today.

The unique magazine tube of the Model 14 and 141 was one of the selling points of the guns, back in the day. It safely allowed the use of pointed bullets, if you chose to use them. The design of the tube "tilted" the rounds so that the tips of the bullets were not lined up with the primer of the round ahead of it, and it did work.

Also, consider this, if pointed bullets are for model 8s ONLY, then what about the model 30 bolt actions chambered for the same rounds? Box magazines there.
Old February 15, 2024, 03:57 PM   #13
Texas Scott

I am in the process of getting some sample RNFP from Missouri Bullet to try. My research shows that it was sharp edges and angles in the 14's action that caused issues. Sharp edges, and such, can usually be dealt with.
Old February 17, 2024, 03:44 PM   #14
bamaranger

candy-cane pump

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Remington "candy-cane" pumps as they were known sometimes known. I have also seen them referred to as "Amish machine guns" a reference to the state of PA not allowing semiauto rifles and the pump rifle offering the fastest repeat shot.

My first deer rifle was indeed a Rem Model 14 chambered in .30 Rem. The 14/141 line was revered in my family, as was the .35 Rem cartridge. I don't have that old rifle, my Dad traded it away, but I replaced it with another back in the early 80's. I also have a stash of a couple of hundred rounds of .30 Rem ammo acquired over time.

The 14/141 family are lovely, sleek rifles that carry easily and point like a dream. My rifle has a period correct King full buckhorn rear sight, likely an addition, but a flat, wheel adjusted rear was the norm. I hunt the old Rem occasionally, but have never taken a deer with it. Usually I just look at it and remember.

I am pleased to hear that TX Scott is breathing new life into his old pump and wish him the best with it. Don't you wish it could talk!
Old February 17, 2024, 04:11 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Trivia Alert

Early .30 Remingtons were marked ".30-30 Remington."
A shrewd move they repeated later with the 7mm '06, .280, 7mm Express, back to .280 shuffle.

First cut on the .222 considered basing a new Remington varmint cartridge on the .25 Remington which would have given us a .219 Zipper Rimless. The story I read said they rejected the .25 because its case head was not thick enough for the intended .222 pressure. Seems like they could have beefed up the .25 easier than tooling up for an all new case.
Old February 17, 2024, 04:11 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

The Rem 760 pump was also jokingly called the "Amish Machinegun", when it replaced the model 141 in Remington's line.

I'd be willing to bet a significant portion of Remington's pump rifle sales were in PA or the border areas of surrounding states.
Old February 18, 2024, 01:13 AM   #17
Pathfinder45

In the first 200 yards, spitzer bullets don't offer so much trajectory advantage over round-nose bullets. A typical 32 Remington rifle is not well suited to longer ranges so no real benefit to spitzers there. A hundred years ago, round-nose bullets were well regarded as reliable hunting bullets. Spitzer bullet reliability has come a long way since then.