The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 8, 2013, 05:37 AM   #1
elkteeth1949

dis/assem instructions for stevens 520

I hope that somebody took over all of Mr. Harley reference materials and keeps it going.
I would like a copy of the dis/assem instructions for the stevens 520.

Does anyone know if parts are still available for this gun?

Thanks in advance
Stan

[email protected]
Old August 8, 2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Steven Mace

Disassembly information can be found here - http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=2&t=163543

Exploded view - http://stevespages.com/ipb-stevens-520-620.html

Replacement parts - http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact.../520-41348.htm

Steve
Old February 10, 2015, 07:26 PM   #3
hey man

Greetings All.

First post here however I have been led here many times by random queries typed into the googles.

I picked up a Stevens 520 20 gauge a couple weeks ago.. why??? I will get into that....

From what I have seen or lack there of... is record keeping for models of these shotguns other than the span of difference between a 520 and a 620. I do know that they have a quiet history and not regarded with the flash and wow of the desired makes. My question is "What designates a 520A model?"

I am looking for a few parts and have found them however all that is stamped on the side of the receiver is Stevens / Savage Arms corp. /Mass/ USA... I need a new stock and have found one however the 'catalogue' mentions 520A... What does this mean??

Okay.. NOW... Why did I buy this old rig? It spoke to me AND I am an abslolute sucker for old designs and forged steel. Granted I had been looking for a in home shot gun and had my eye on a few types all in 20 ga. They were all black and had the obligitory plastic furniture... held lots of rounds... short length of pull.. etc..

But THIS old thing was strange. It is a used shotgun no doubt but far from used up. it is in remarkably good condition. I totally took it apart and inspected.. the bore is mirror... no rust issues however not really blued. The butt stock however is loose and needs to be replaced. The screw heads are chewed up a bit. BUT... Its in really good shape. The take down is what sold me. I have never seen anything like this before. I looked at it in the LGS and then went home to look it up. Oh MY!!! 20 minutes later I had a C note down to hold. Yes it is for home defense and I will bring it up to personal code... but despite its age... It is a solid bit of hardware and in 20 ga. that my wife WILL SHOOT!!! She loves the heft of it and how it pushes her shoulder Not kick. Playing around with loads to keep on hand and finding parts to gussy the old man up a bit. I have shot 40 rounds through ( win white box birdshot) and it did not miss a beat. Even cycled the pump with trigger back... Worked well and so easy to hold onto!! Good score methinks..

Please share your thoughts and good evening.
Old February 11, 2015, 12:18 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The "A" models have shorter receivers and different tangs, so there is a difference in stocks and some other parts. Try www.gunpartscorp.com for parts. They show stocks as available, but I would call/e-mail them before ordering. Make sure to give the model and serial number.

FWIW, I had a brand new 520A marked with "US PROPERTY" and the ordnance bomb. It was Parkerized. I bought it from Letterkenny Army Depot in PA for the huge sum of $17. I later sold it to a collector of military shotguns who went ape over it, for (IIRC) $900.

Jim