The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1
freebird53597

Mixing Powder SAME lot

Hi All had a question on Powder. I bought 3 lbs of h335 all with the same lot number. Anyway, I use a Chargemaster and the metering rod is some way up the hopper so I end up with a good amount left in each container. I was wondering since they are the same powder from the same lot number can I add them together into the hopper on my next session. I know mixing different powder types is a big no no (Unless super experienced) and some would say mixing the same powder of different lots is a no no as well. but these are the same powder...identical lots.

If it helps the load I use in this rifle is well below Max stated from the manual.

thanks in advance!

Chris
Old September 17, 2012, 07:22 PM   #2
TMD

Mix away. Nothing to worry if they have the same lot numbers.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
freebird53597

Thank for the quick response...I assumed it was OK but being new to reloading (About 500 rounds so far) I figued it is always better to ask first!!

Chris
Old September 17, 2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Yep, it was all mixed together at one time anyway before the individual containers passed under the loading hopper.

You wouldn't actually be mixing powders, you would be consolidating small amounts of the same powder.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:25 AM   #5
mxjunky78

I do the same thing. Like said above it all came from the same batch anyway.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
buck460XVR

'ell, I mix remnants of one lot with a fresh can of a different lot. All it does is reduce any small variance between the two. Modern powders are produced to pretty close standards and over the years I have found the difference in lots(at least in the powders I use) to be fairly insignificant. But then I don't load to max. If I need more power I just go up a caliber.