The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 25, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
MauiDoc

Realistic Full-Action Training handgun--Does it exist?

Where I live, it is very difficult for me to get training in IPSC-type shooting, or anything like a 'kill-house' scenario.

What I would like is to continue my self-directed training in a way/place/time that won't get me shot by antsy neighbors or the local PD. So, I'm looking for a realistic handgun model with good weight, slide action, reloadability,etc, as close to the real thing without the noise or the danger. Something that will cycle rounds somehow, occasionally jamming to practice clearing stovepipes and whatnot.

Anything like that exist? Ideal for me would be a Colt .45 1991 Compact model.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
zaknefein

there are airsoft model guns that are to scale size and weight wise. They are loaded with clips that have the pellets in the front and you fill the back of the clip with propane so it is gas powered and operates with blowback and everything.. thats probably the most realistic without the noise... Other than that i think they might have simunition available for some civilian use now.. you'll have to look em up and see but simunition is basically paintball thats powered by gunpowder so there is a boom when you shoot... goodluck
Old July 25, 2012, 06:46 PM   #3
MauiDoc

Thanks, Z--I will check it out.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
zaknefein

http://www.hobbytron.com/BerettaGree...irsoftGun.html

i think thats one of the better ones... some shoot at like 330fps and that one is 390 and even locks the breech open when the clip is empty.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:13 PM   #5
AmericanWolverine

HobbyTron is a really bad retailer. I've had nothing but wonderful experiances with www.airsoftatlanta.com www.poweredgeusa.com www.airsoftextreme.com www.airgundepot.com and www.pyramydair.com

KWA is considered by many these days to be the cream of the crop. They have a large assortment of GBB Pistols to choose from and have an actual manufacturer's warranty.

Tokyo Marui makes excellent GBB Pistols as well BUT are too expensive for what you get these days.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:47 PM   #6
rburch

Had really good experiences buying from these guys.

www.airsoftmegastore.com
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old July 26, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Ambishot

Airsoft is a great place to start for training force on force, or active training. I've used some in the agency I worked with.

If, however, you're looking for something a bit more realistic intended for gun handling, loading, clearing stovepipes, etc. You may want something like this:

http://us.glock.com/products/model/g22p

I'm not sure it's availability to civilians, though. Good luck in your search.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Ralgha

The feds use slightly modified pistols in some scenarios that do everything except launch a bullet. I don't remember what they call it, but it's a real gun with the recoil spring modified and it takes some kind of "blank" ammo. You load the magazine with these just like normal, when you pull the trigger it's slightly louder than the hammer click, and it cycles another round. It's awesome but i don't remember the details of it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.