The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 15, 2008, 12:12 PM   #1
deanadell

Coyote call

Here's the scenario:

I have a 62 acre hay field behind the house, backed up by a small stip of woods maybe 50 yards deep before it opens up into another large cotton field across the road.

For the last couple weeks, every other night or so, my wife has been seeing a coyote traveling through about 8-8:30 PM.

Tuesday night this week, she, her mother, and my daughter stood out there and watches three of them fighting over somehting. By the time any one of them thought to come in the house and let me know so I could grab the rifle, they were gone

I have one of those electronic predator callers that has about 4 different sounds on it. I figure the dying Jack-rabbit call is a bust since we're a thousand miles away from the nearest jack-rabbit in South Carolina. The other three choices are cotton tail rabbit in distress, coyote pups in distress and coyote howl.

Out of those three, which do you think would be most effective?

I plan on occupying the picnic table as a bench rest tonight and killing these yotes if I can get them called into the open.
Old August 15, 2008, 12:22 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Info I have gleaned from yote callers is that the UNUSUAL sound draws them in better than the most common local specie. I make a sound by putting a finger over my lips ans sucking in that sorta may resemble a wounded rabbit and it draws attention from cats, dogs and the sort but will make a hawk leave a tree to fly nearer and land right over my head searching for the sound source.
Brent
Old August 18, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Brent
Old August 18, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4
deanadell

Nothing Friday or Saturday....

....Sunday night, about 8:45, my daughter and I went out on the deck w/caller, spotlight and rifle.....

20 minutes of trying coyote howls and rabbit squeals produced nothing.

We were about to go back inside when she asked me "what else do you have on that caller?" I handed it to here and she hit the "pup yips" button. 30 seconds into listening to those recorded coyote pups on the called, the entire woodline erupted into howling It was so loud my wife came outside, and her mother next door came out to see what was going on

We never got any to come out in the open for a shot, but We'll probably try again tomorrow night.
Old August 21, 2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Kawabuggy

If it's legal in your area, try using the caller, and then a spot light after dark. Their eyes will glow in the dark, and you will easily be able to use a scoped rifle to "aim between the eyes, and let the lead fly". If you use a small caliber like a .22, you may be able to get more than one.
Old August 28, 2008, 07:55 AM   #6
lon371

Well?

Dont keep us in suspence. How did you come out?

Here in Southern Indiana we are going into calfing season. I have seen some coyotes running around the country side. I have talked to a couple farmers, and have permission to hunt coyotes. Now if I can just get the extra time.
Old August 28, 2008, 09:43 AM   #7
deanadell

Quote:
Dont keep us in suspence. How did you come out?
If TS Fay finally moves on and it quits raining, I'll probably try again Saturday night. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Old August 28, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
10-96

Keep your profile low and try not to have a bunch of folks moving around. They know people= danger for them. Hunting them from an ambush or 'hide' works quite well because they become accustomed to seeing the back of your place with nobody moving around- everything else is normal to them. One of the ranches I get to hunt at from time to time has old combines, trucks, and other equipment strung about. No these things aren't natural things of nature, but they've become part of the yotes normal surroundings. The old grease ,oil, tire rubber, lord knows what else helps mask the human smell and they do great to break up your outline and give you a comfortable hidey spot. Down here, yotes have been doing weird things. They used to hunt in usual groups of up to 3 or 4 and would only go after calves. Now, we're seeing signs of them hunting in packs of 7+, and killing the cow and the calf when she's down and calving out. I don't know if that's because of a more limited food supply for them (which I doubt because jackrabbits are on the rise again), or because of habits they might have picked up from an increase in dogs left to run wild.

And +1 on the unusual calls. I've called them in to within 100yds with turkey calls before.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.