The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1
TheHandler

SKS mags

I have a yugo sks. I put the Tapco T6 fusion stock on it. I also got a polymer 20 rd detachable mag. The problem is that the bolt wont lock open and it makes it difficult to quikly change the mag out to say the least. My question is: Are there any mags on the market that will lock it open? If so, who makes them and how can I buy them?
Old July 13, 2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Stagger Lee

This may seem like a stupid question, but if you wanted a gun that took detachable magazines, why didn't you buy one instead of trying to cobble some cheap aftermarket junk onto a perfectly serviceable rifle that was designed and manufactured with a fixed magazine? Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, just go buy one of the many AK clones that are out there. You can easily get a WASR that takes normal AK mags for what you put into that rifle, aftermarket stock, and the crappily-made, unreliable aftermarket magazines.
Old July 13, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
elkman06

Once again we stagger the newcomer with our helpful friendly attitude.

Handler, I too would like to see an improvement in how my already built sks handles its' mags. I personally would like to convert over to the Ak mag. It is done I just haven't found the method. I also like working on my rifles and seeing what improvements I might make in them.
If you find an improved mag PM me.
Stagger may have a point in that we may have to go back to original configuration, however, it's our dollar and effort.
elkman

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 13, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Ifishsum

The general consensus on after market SKS magazines is that they are very difficult to get to work properly (if you can even do it). I was tempted to try one myself but decided against it after hearing almost unanimously (not just here) that they are not worth the hassle. Sorry.

What I can tell you that does work very slick for me are the 10 round stipper clips. They are cheap, and if you load up a bunch of them before you go to the range you will be surprised how fast you can reload the stock 10 round magazine and throw lead downrange.

Welcome the TFL, and good luck with your SKS.
Old July 15, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
TheHandler

Thank you.
Old July 18, 2008, 01:12 AM   #6
workinwifdakids

Welcome to TFL! The Yugo doesn't adapt particularly well to magazines, but there is a Chinese model [spit] that will. I recommend you restore the Yugo to its original configuration, and try the clips. You can reload using stirpper clips nearly as fast (or as fast) as a magazine. If you're not happy, keep or sell the Yugo and go for an AK, which were intended to accept mags.

Good luck! Oh, and there's also an SKS forum that may be of some assistance to you.
Old July 18, 2008, 02:22 AM   #7
tomh1426

I got a few 20 round Tapco mags after reading good reviews at http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php
I havnt had any problems with mine at all, when the gun runs empty the mag pushes up the bolt hold open just like the fixed mag.
Theirs a easy bolt mod that lets you insert or remove the magazine with the bolt open or closed.
In the past alot of detachable mags didnt work good or at all without some tweeking and it turned alotta people off to the idea but their are a few out now that seem to work pretty good for alot of people.