The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 22, 2002, 10:04 PM   #1
PreserveFreedom

22 LR Cartridge Question

I was helping a friend move today and he was giving me some stuff he didn't want/need anymore. He popped open a box with all his old cop stuff in it (San Antonio PD) and pulled out a taped up partial brick of 22LR. He doesn't have any 22's around anymore so they became mine.

Well when I got them home, I started looking closely. I got 332 rounds of "Remington target 22 Long Rifle STANDARD VELOCITY". It is packaged in 50 round boxes (like a modern brick) but the boxes are dual tone green. They look old. The headstamp on the cartridges is a big "U" as opposed to the current Remington's "Rem". "RIM FIRE" is also printed as two words on the box. Technical info is stated as:
Bullet Weight: 40 grains
Bullet Style: Solid Point
Velocity: 1145 fps/muzzle
975 fps/100 yds.
Energy: 116 ft. lbs./muzzle
94 ft. lbs./100 yds.
Mid-range traj.: 100 yds./4.0"
Oh, I almost forgot, the address on the box isn't what Remington currently uses:
Remington Arms Company
Bridgeport, Conn. 06602
Also the box has a "DU PONT" logo on it and advertises "KLEANBORE PRIMING" I am kind of interested in how old they might be, even approximately. I have just never seen any cartridges just like this from Remington. My curiosity has been aroused.

Old August 22, 2002, 11:28 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Relativity strikes again.
Hard.
Can't be very old, has a zip code on the address.
Should be a lot number stamped on the box. Factory could date it from that.

I was cleanin up a corner a while back and found a few bricks of similar to yours but without zip code. Shoots well.

Now, if I could only find the rest of my Remington "BEST" brass 12ga hulls.

Sam
Old August 23, 2002, 05:28 AM   #3
Steven Mace

PreserveFreedom, Remington moved out of their Bridgeport, CT location around 1986. ZIP codes began appearing around 1964. This should give you an idea of the possible age of the Remington .22 LR ammunition you're describing. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old August 23, 2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

The box you're describing was used, I believe, from about 1960 to 1977.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.