The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Mokumbear

Help me select ammo for my Kahr PM-9 and P380?

I just read that Winchester White Box in .380 is always flat nosed.
Is this correct?

If so, is there a good economical choice for target ammo that is made in the US, has brass casings and rounded bullets?

Could you also suggest JHP ammo for both the Kahr P380 and the Kahr PM9?
(Once again, made in the US and with brass casings.)

Can the PM9 use +P ammo for short barreled guns?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited by Mokumbear; March 29, 2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old March 29, 2014, 09:38 PM   #2
igolfat8

Precision one for the 380.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPH...MTiM2njdQQRbdg
Old March 30, 2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Riderx

My P380 runs both Hornady Critical Defense and Liberty Civil Defense rounds 100%.
Either will be my carry load. Maybe both stacked.
Old March 30, 2014, 09:56 PM   #4
riddleofsteel

I carry Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Ammo, 9mm Luger +P, 124 Gr in my PM9. This ammo was designed designed for short barreled 9mm's. The hollowpoint they use is designed to perform at the muzzle velocities produced in these weapons.
Old March 30, 2014, 10:05 PM   #5
oldcabin

My P380 runs WWB with no problems.
Old March 30, 2014, 10:07 PM   #6
JERRYS.

the more pointy or rounded the profile the more likely they are to feed correctly in a Kahr.

some guns will shoot what ever you feed them, others are more sensitive. find what works in your gun and stick with it.
Old March 30, 2014, 11:46 PM   #7
Elerius

I had been thinking about this since I'm still waiting on the arrival of my own PM9, and I posted a recent thread asking about DPX.

In my Beretta Tomcat, Cor Bon DPX is supposed to make 147ft-lbs of energy at 1050 fps from its 2.5 inch barrel. This is a .32 bullet and is supposed to suffer from performance due to its small case capacity. There just isn't enough space to put enough powder in, no matter what the mix. Except that it seems to propel the hell out of .32 even in short barrel. I assume it has something to do with its construction and the all copper nature of the round. Its lighter and can be pushed more easily and thus faster but still deliver a lot of energy and penetration. I have not been able to find out much detail as to how/why.

Presuming all this is correct and the effect magnifies at larger calibers, I think it would be the most ideal round for the PM9 in it's 3 inch barrel. Gold Dot short barrel, as mentioned, would be my next choice except that it is impossible to find. There is only two boxes on Gunbroker and neither are 9mm. DPX is expensive, especially since I fire at least 100 rounds of defense ammo in new carry guns and will have to do so as well with my PM9, but it is the way I'm going to go.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Mokumbear

Elerius...

I recently learned that Cheaper Than Dirt had Speer Gold Dot +P for short barrels in stock. No bargain, but I purchased four 20 round boxes.

Hope that helps.

I had started using alerts on a couple of ammo sellers sites to
notify me when my preferred ammo is in stock.
I originally found it impossible to find it online, but with alerts I found it
available within a day or so.

Hope you like your PM9 as much as I have.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Elerius

I've shot 300 rounds through it with no problems so far. It is an excellent weapon in pretty much every way. I don't think this is one I'll ever get rid of. I've just been using standard barrel 124+p Gold Dot, no problems with those either. I also put Talon grips on, the first time I've used them. I'd recommend them for your own, I think they are an improvement.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:00 AM   #10
CDW4ME

I tried several loads in my PM9, all worked fine, I liked the recoil impulse and power of the Corbon 115 +p
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545345

Edit: it produced the most KE, but felt recoil was subjectively less than the 124 +p loads.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:19 AM   #11
sigp226wgerman

For 9mm I use 124gr +P Gold Dots.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:37 AM   #12
lamarw

You might want to consider what some of us do by reloading your own. It is an enjoyable hobby in of itself. It allows you to load what works best in your firearm and after the initial investment can save you significantly on your target and even hunting ammunition needs.

Over the last six years, I have purchased less than a half dozen boxes of new ammunition. I have most likely loaded in the thousands of boxes. I have long ago paid off my investment in reloading equipment.

If you can read and comprehend videos you watch on the internet, then you can learn on your own how to reload.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:29 AM   #13
nc-oldfart

speer short barrel GD for the little kahr . can't help with the 380 kahr . The 4 380's in our family seem to have no preference for ammo.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:22 AM   #14
wnycollector

I settled on hornady 135gr critical duty +p for my S&W 990L compact. It has very manageable recoil and excellent accuracy. Another plus it seems to be available in decent quantities and reasonable prices.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Elerius

Quote:
You might want to consider what some of us do by reloading your own. It is an enjoyable hobby in of itself. It allows you to load what works best in your firearm and after the initial investment can save you significantly on your target and even hunting ammunition needs.
I do reload, but no matter how much I have done so, I wouldn't trust myself to make defense ammo and certainly not to the same standards as a reputable company. I might be able to, but its not worth it to find out if I'm wrong. The only time I'd do that is to make something that I really wanted but doesn't exist in the configuration I want but I don't see that happening.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:47 AM   #16
The Rukh

PM9

I carry my PM9 daily and love the little gun. Fast, accurate and utterly dependable EXCEPT with Winchester PDX-1 ammo. Do not use PDX-1. I've used lots of other types of 9mm ammo in the PM9 and it all worked without fail till I put a PDX-1 in the magazine. When it tried to feed, it suffered a non-clearable jam and I had to field strip the gun to finally clear it...not something you'd want to happen in a gunfight! For carry I use Hornady Critical Defense only, although I would use Gold Dots if I couldn't get any Hornady. My gun shot to point of aim with the Critical Defense from the first round out of the gun. Mine didn't need any break-in period as it was 100% right out of the box, except Winchester PDX-1. I talked to a Kahr customer service rep and the conversation led me to believe the PDX-1 is a "known issue" but they wouldn't confirm or deny it. I trust my little gun with my life every day, but not with PDX-1.
Old April 18, 2014, 01:50 AM   #17
Elerius

Is everyone finding that the gun shoots POA with FMJ or JHP ammo? I installed Williams Fire Sights on mine, it has to hold in the 6'clock position but so did the stock sights
Old April 19, 2014, 07:04 PM   #18
orionengnr

Quote:
Fast, accurate and utterly dependable EXCEPT with Winchester PDX-1 ammo. Do not use PDX-1.
I'm pretty sure that PDX is the same bullet as Winchester Ranger (may have a different case and powder?).
I have been using Ranger 127+p+ for a number of years. Feeds perfectly, has some snap to it, but shoots to POA (admittedly at SD distances, 21-25 ft. I don't shoot the PM9 at 25 yards).

I just bought a CW380 and have not yet put enough ammo through it to comment on what it does or does not like...