The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 2012, 02:22 PM   #51
K1500

Legally, baiting may be illegal in your AO while food plots may be legal.

Morally, they seem to be designed to do the exact same thing.

Concentrating deer with an artificially supplied food source, be it a food plot or bagged corn, is something every hunter has to reconcile for themselves.

Personally, I have little interest in shooting a deer over a purpose built 'food plot' and even less interest in shooting a deer with its head in a bucket of grain. Both feel like baiting to me. Obviously, my opinion is in the small minority. If corn baiting is illegal, inform the warden of your suspicions.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:34 PM   #52
markj

Well I would plant corn next year as the food plot and let it stand thru the season. I see some guys do that for deer and use milo and such for game birds. It sure does work.

My place deer run all over, garden gets wiped out if I dont electrify it. Apple trees out back bring em in better than corn. Fellows will push deer here right to me I just sit back and wait. Got more deer here than ever, see twins all the time. Been a large buck hanging around at dusk too. Tomorrow is first shotgun, bet I wont see him till April
Old November 30, 2012, 08:56 PM   #53
warbirdlover

The neighbors all filled their tags with nice bucks and are no longer baiting. Guess what. One of the guys was muzzleloading today on our land and missed a huge buck at 150 yards. I'm hunting it on Tuesday. Season ends on Wednesday.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:30 AM   #54
buck460XVR

Quote:
I'm hunting it on Tuesday. Season ends on Wednesday.
Well, good luck. Sounds like a warmup is on the way. After the rain on Monday the bucks should be back out freshening their scrapes.

With all these various and vague rules about baiting in Wisconsin, I was wondering.........If you were to eat a big meal of corn on Monday night and then take a dump by your stand on Tuesday morning, would that be considered the same as baiting?
Old December 1, 2012, 12:05 PM   #55
warbirdlover

Quote:
With all these various and vague rules about baiting in Wisconsin, I was wondering.........If you were to eat a big meal of corn on Monday night and then take a dump by your stand on Tuesday morning, would that be considered the same as baiting?

buck460XVR
Hmmmm. Good question, LOL!!!!
Old December 1, 2012, 09:13 PM   #56
goalie

Quote:
One doesn't want to condone someones breaking of the law. And again you don't want to be the informer either.
If someone is poaching, then, yeah, I do want to be the informer.

Baiting is for slobs anyhow.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #57
JimDandy

My uncle has a pheasant preserve, and puts out foodplots for his pheasant. I have no issues with that, as he puts out the food plots all year long, and puts out more birds than his customers harvest. They have to eat something, and if he's got to pay to put them out, he ought to be able to "feed" them while they're out there. Especially given how many people hunt the road ditch on the other side of his property to get the birds that migrate over rather than pay his fees.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:37 PM   #58
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hokay, getting into dead-horse country...
Closed Thread