The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2009, 07:03 AM   #1
iblong

question on cutting down a shot gun barrel

Last winter one of my venders gave me a Moss.535 12 ga.w/28" barrel and slug barrel.for amount of money spent with his co.
I talked to my Smith and he said he would cut it down to 24" rethread it for my choke tubes,ect.Im thinking about turnning it into a dedicated coyote gun since I have nothing into it.
He wants 115.00 for the work.do you guys think this would adversely afect the preformance.it shoots well with a .680 choke,but its a little unwieldly with a 28" and a extended choke tube.Your input is wanted.
Thanks,Bob.
Old September 3, 2009, 07:27 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For that kind of price, you might consider going with Briley. They are top of the line and also make the choke tubes...
If the smith is off by even the slightest... it will pattern like crap at best and could allow a shot load to hang up on the inner lip of the tube resulting in a catastrophic failure that will ruin the barrel at minimum or cause severe injury or death at worst. Personally, if it were me, I would keep that barrel and spend the same $115 or less on a brand spankin' new mossberg barrel of my desire...
Mossberg barrels are the cheapest in the industry, cost wise. Havlin Sales is your second call after mossberg factory as they may have a different selection and usually cheaper than mossberg factory...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
Brent
Old September 3, 2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Gbro

If you only knew how difficult it is to agree with hotdogs
But i also would go with a new barrel.
Years ago I had my 30" cut down and threaded for choke tubes and am not happy with the results. each choke insert needs to be hand fitted to the barrel, at least on mine.
I 1st noticed the problem when I found wadds with kinked fingers, then found that they came from my gun.
Old September 3, 2009, 08:55 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
If you only knew how difficult it is to agree with hotdogs
Me thinx I was jist called "disagreeable"... that is like saying "don't drink margaritas while eating applesauce" don't ask how I know this...
BRENT
Old September 3, 2009, 12:17 PM   #5
jmr40

According to Mossberg's website the barrel you want will be $200+ new. The 500 barrels are cheap, not the 535.

I have had a couple cut down and rethreaded with good results, but I only paid around $40. Of course that was several years ago too.

I would sell the gun and extra barrel and use the funds to buy what you want rather than spend that much to get 4" less barrel. You will likely be able to do so and have money left over.
Old September 3, 2009, 02:27 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you accept the 3 inch max shell, i understand the 500 barrel will interchange (call to be sure) which was what i meant in my sub $100 claim.
Brent
Old September 3, 2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Jack O'Conner

I bought a ribbed barrel for my Mossberg that has screw-in choke tubes. Love it! My original 28 inch plain barrel was no longer of use to me. It was cut down by local smith to 19 inches and bead relocated. He crowned the muzzle, too.

sawed off barrel results on paper (20 yds):

- cheap #6 ammo by FEDERAL patterns poorly with softball sized blank
areas on paper.

- plated high base #5 patterns amazingly well with no oversized blank areas

- high base #7.5 pattens almost identical to Modified pattern

- 00 buck by Remington with bead buffering shoots a consistent 14"
pattern at 20 yards

- plain rifled slug by Winchester shoots 3 holes into a 6 inch circle at 50
yards; accuracy would likely improve with rifle type sights.

Does a "sawed off" throw an extra wide pattern at 20 yards? Not this one.

Good shooting to you.

Jack