The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 1998, 07:49 AM   #1
KJE

Does neck turning and sorting brass do much for group size? I am trying to get the most acuracy out of my varmit rifles as posible. Are these proceses worth the hassle?
Old December 15, 1998, 10:32 PM   #2
dundee

do you read the "handloader" magazine? How about "precision shooter"? There have been several good articles on this over the years.
From what I remember these "benchrest"procedures will reduce the group size by .1 to maybe .4 MOA. There are a whole series of things that benchrest shooters do to prep the cases for the best possible accuracy.
2 things to keep in mind is what is the rifle capable of and what is the realistic accuracy needed. What kind of accuracy can YOU achieve in the varminting field?
Old December 17, 1998, 05:21 PM   #3
KJE

My goal is "consistent sub MOA" acuracy I am curently getting this kind of acuracy out of two AR15's and a model 70 in 308. But i would like to do away with the flyers.I have heard that some of this extra case prep will do that. Some have said that in some rifles that neck turning cut .25 off thear groups.