The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 4, 2012, 08:44 AM   #1
StainlessSteel215

Sold my .45 to buy strictly 9mm ammo and master my carry system

As the thread states, I took some careful time and thought about my priorities and my vision for improving as a defensive shooter. My Sig GSR 1911 was a sweet piece and shot with absolute perfection....but honestly I came to the decision that I want to now place my focus on mastering my Glock26 9mm carry system.

I dont have funds that permit me to be a true gun "collector" so instead I will finally take up SD classes that Ive been putting off for some time now. I can now consistently hit 6" groups on standing paper targets from about 18 yards which is good for me....now its time to learn low light and high stress training at my local gun club.

Not trying to sway anyone one way or the other...but for those of you out there like me who have a few guns spread all over in terms of trigger actions, calibers, and sizes and still lack timing and accuracy with your shooting.....it might be wise to consolidate to a dominant caliber...master it....then possibly move up to a .45 later.

For me anyways, this makes the most sense. I will now have about $700 tp spend on ammo & gear
Old October 4, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Sparks1957

Quote:
Not trying to sway anyone one way or the other
Are you sure about that?
Old October 4, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Slamfire

I do not disagree with the idea of getting down to one operating system. I like simple, for a self defense pistol I think this is about as simple as it gets:

Or this, double action first shot, single action thereafter, no flippers or levers to worry about. Especially no single action safety that you may bump on, when you want it off, or have on, when you really need it off.

Old October 4, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
StainlessSteel215

OK, maybe a little....

Ive just come to the realization that shooting paper targets in a relaxed, standing environment is only half the battle. Ive read that even police with extensive training are still likely to fumble in a high stress situation. I dont wanna be the guy who hiccups at the wrong time and these SD classes really seem to have amazing results depending on the class and instructor.

I will master the 9mm before making that jump again. Just my $.02
Old October 4, 2012, 09:29 AM   #5
comn-cents

I use to think that way but came to the conclusion that I need to be familiar with all types of guns and how they work. It may not be my gun I am using to defend friends & family.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Gaerek

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I really like .45, but I've decided to get my skills shooting 9mm first. The primary reason though, is cost. As far as training ammo is concerned, at least where I live, .45 ACP costs almost twice what 9mm costs. From where I'm standing, that means I can do almost twice as much training with a 9mm than I can with a .45. In the future, when it's less about training (I'll never stop training, of course) I might switch, but for now it 9mm all the way.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
StainlessSteel215

EXACTLY, all the more reason to stay with 9mm
Old October 4, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
chris in va

My 45 ammo costs are barely more than my 9mm. Then again I cast and reload my own , so...
Old October 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Crow Hunter

Glad to see the advice you got on PF is sticking.

Good luck and keep at it.

I think you will be suprised at what you will be able to do.

Good luck.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10
StainlessSteel215

Thanks Crow....I see the value now in investing in my dominant caliber....getting REALLY good with it....and excited to learn and absorb as much as possible in multiple areas and from multiple places. Both places offer a great variety of info.

I will never turn down free advice
Old October 4, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Gaerek

Quote:
My 45 ammo costs are barely more than my 9mm. Then again I cast and reload my own , so...
That helps, lol. I don't reload, so I'm stuck with what the manufacturers make me pay. On sale, I can get a box of 50 9mm for about $10. .45 on sale goes for right around $19-20 for 50. Assuming no sales, the prices go to about $13 and $25, respectively (and we're talking Blazer steel case here).

I've thought about reloading. Right now, unfortunately, I just don't have the room to do it. Eventually, when I get out of the place I'm living now and get my own place, I'll seriously consider putting in a reloading bench.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:00 PM   #12
kdrf636

I do the same thing with .38/.357. All of my current handguns are chambered for it. And once I find a nice .357 Henry Big Boy, I'll have a long gun chambered for it as well.

How do you deal with magazine management? Or can you use the same magazine in each of your pistols?
Old October 4, 2012, 04:58 PM   #13
wayneinFL

I just like guns too much to get down to one gun. I like my little J frames in 22 32 and 38. I like my model 10, my 357s, my Ruger 44 and 480, not to mention my 610. I like my baby Glocks, and my grown-up Glocks. And who doesn't like a 1911 or a Hi-Power?

I'm thinking of cutting back, but what would I cut?
Old October 4, 2012, 06:24 PM   #14
ken grant

SS215, take two steps to learning your G26.
Get an Advantage Arms .22 Conversion Kit. You will get everything when shooting except noise and recoil.
I always shoot a few rds. of full caliber,install the kit and shoot a lot of .22s, remove the kit and shoot another few rds. of full caliber. Doing it this way keeps me accustomed to the noise and recoil.

Second step is to get a Gas Powered Airsoft copy of your 26 and shoot it at home anytime you want.
Airsoft BB's are cheap and you can use Coleman Propane to power it at less than $3.00 per bottle. In warm temps, I can get over 6,000 shots from a bottle.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Deja vu

My father taught me to only own 4 types of ammo. He says you need a plinking/small game round, a Large game round, a shotgun round and a Handgun round

For him it was 22LR, 30-06 12ga and 45acp

For me its 22LR, 45/70, 12ga and 357 magnum.

If I had to pick just one it would be 357 magnum.

Keeping things simple is a good thing you can stock up on less kinds of ammo. Wish I could get my wife to agree but she loves her 380acp

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

I disagree with selling the GSR. -___- harsh reality..regret will settle in hard soon enough if not already. Try not to do that.

Call me cocky if you want, I really don't care. I shoot weekly so maybe that's why, but I've mastered several of my guns and am extremely adequate with them all. Practice in general makes perfect.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:39 PM   #17
StainlessSteel215

Its simple Constantine...boils down to money and priorities. If I had much more disposable income I would have kept it. Now, I have $750 to sink into savings and the rest is going towards 9mm ammo!
Old October 5, 2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Snort

I think I saw your thread over on Pistol Training. It seems like good advice. Todd Green's "slow demonstration" of various techniques is faster than my actual attempt to do the same thing, so I tend to listen to stuff he says.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #19
StainlessSteel215

Yupp Snort I really enjoy both places for the variety of shooting info & SD training info. My new focus now that I have my dedicated 9mm carry system is to learn SD training. I will start locally at my local gun shop then try to branch out to the more nitty gritty courses.

I just want to be prepared for any circumstance, and shooting stationery targets from 15 yards is the furthest thing from real life crisis simulation.

I'm happy at this stage to have made up my mind to master the 9mm first. Then, Ill migrate to the 45 so I can be proficient in both calibers
Old October 5, 2012, 01:07 PM   #20
Buzzcook

You had a good 1911...and you dumped it for a Glock. That is all sorts of wrong.

But whatever floats your boat.

9mm is easy to reload. A simple Lee loader kit should cost around $20. Long term you'll save quite a bit of money and or learn to develop a load that your gun shoots the best.

6" at 18yds is ok. It doesn't put you in the top ranks of shooters though.
I'd suggest that competition shooting for a way to improve your shooting in the shortest amount of time.
Further if you can find a shooting team instead of individual, you will get all sorts of coaching free from your team mates.
Old October 5, 2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

^^^^ +1
Old October 5, 2012, 01:48 PM   #22
StainlessSteel215

Right on Buzz, and thats the direction I'm headed now. I wanna go from "decent" to awesome AND have the basic SD skills I would need in a bad situation.

I miss the hell out of the 1911 already, I do....but when I come back to the .45 I'll have the money for an even better model. I'll scoop up DW V-Bob in polished stainless and never think twice about the Sig.
Old October 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Nice! Funny..I'm getting myself that same one 10-8 grips.

Cannot wait. I had 2-3 dreams about it already.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 5, 2012, 03:43 PM   #24
Venom1956

no offense but 'carry system' made me chuckle, sounded quite elaborate.

Also I don't quite understand why your trying to master a Glock 26? I can understand the 17 or 19 but the 26? Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by master.

At least your getting a V-bob to replace your Sig its a great gun. the finish isn't exactly a mirror polish or anything, its shiny and looks great though, just a heads up.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 6, 2012, 02:24 AM   #25
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom1956 View Post

Also I don't quite understand why your trying to master a Glock 26? I can understand the 17 or 19 but the 26? Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by master.
Yeah...on the same boat of wondering. I think it's cause it's easiest for him to conceal. Which I understand...I don't know how he looks or anything. Everyone's different and body type matters a lot. I cannot carry a pocket pistol. I only carry full sized handguns.

My gripe is selling the SIG 1911 still

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII