The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 10, 2002, 10:51 PM   #1
Coolray

Liberty Firearms Info needed

My friend just called me,He was given an old console TV for parts and when he removed all the screws on the back he found a .22lr Liberty Scout single action revolver.
Marking say it is from the Liberty Firearms Corporation based in Montrose Ca. It also has H schmidt Germany on it.

Does anybody Have any information on it?

Thanks
Old August 11, 2002, 05:23 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The only thing I can find on Liberty Arms Co is it was a tradename used by O.A. Smith on inexpensive pocket rebolvers.

HJN
Old August 12, 2002, 07:51 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Nothing to verify against but I recall the name Schmidt as being a German mfgr of revolvers in the 1950s-1960s or so. They were of the same quality and category as J. P. Sauers of the era. These came out during the era when the TV western was big, ala Paladin, Gunsmoke, Wanted; Dead or Alive et al.
Will look in some texts for verification.
Supposed to be decent shooters for my understanding but no collector status. CAS shooters use them.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:31 AM   #4
Coolray

I got to look at this firearm yesterday,it really is a decient gun,has a heavy barrell,smooth action, and an unusually tall front sight blade. Grips are simulated Bone/Ivory with brown paint in the groves, That looks like a TV 6 gun.
Old December 14, 2006, 10:58 AM   #5
FishersGuns

I bought an H. Schmidt Liberty Scout about a year ago and I love that gun! Mine has several markings:

Barrel Left
H. Schmidt, Ostheim / Phoen
Made In West Germany

Barrel Top
HS Model 21 S Cal .22 LR

Barrel RIght
Liberty Scout

It's also got an HS 71 near bellow the chamber. Anybody know what that is? If you get a chance though, this has proved to be one of my favorite guns.
Old December 14, 2006, 08:14 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That Liberty Scout was a copy of the Colt Scout. They were not bad, but not exactly top quality. Some Colt Scout parts can be made to fit, but there is no parts supply for the Liberty.

The name "Liberty" was used by dozens of gun companies for American and imported guns over the years. Also there were at one time a dozen or more importers in CA, bringing in milsurp and inexpensive guns, some of which were pure junk.

If it works and fires OK, have fun. If it doesn't, and Colt parts won't work, it is not worth spending a lot of money on.

Jim
Old October 28, 2007, 09:42 PM   #7
twisted

i have a liberty arms liberty cowboy.

my father bought it back in 68 at a discount store in california that was going out of buisness for about $25 if i recall correctly. it has been a pretty good gun,only problem ever had from it was the fake ivory grips finally crumbled, but i made a set of new grips from walnut.

good shooter though.