The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 2, 2014, 07:31 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

What size shot for coyote?

My father in law has a coyote problem. Thing is, he wants me to hunt in areas where his cattle graze. Also, on the north and west sides is a road.

Ideally, whatever I use would have a limited range. I'm thinking a shotgun with an extra full choke?

I wonder what size shot to use?

I have a Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet. I could use frangibles but w/a missed shot, unless they hit something, they can just keep going till they hit something they shouldn't. Like, a cow.

Ditto my AR in 5.56.

Shotgun sounds good.

Old May 2, 2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A coyote is only 12 inches or so off the ground... your bullets are going to hit the ground not too far behind them and frangibles with go no farther. If it's too close for a shot with frangibles, it's too close for a shot with birdshot too.

You're going to have a rough time getting many coyotes within birdshot range. This time of year, it might work to use turkey decoys and calls, but that might be illegal if you don't have a turkey license too.

Sit so you're shooting away from the roads and use a rifle with frangible bullets. Barnes Varmint Grenage, Nosler LF, etc.
Old May 2, 2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Mike1234

What if the coyote is on a rise or ridge and that road is within range?
Old May 2, 2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Xtra-full? #2 or thereabouts to maybe 40 (?) yards.

If no cows are in line behind the coyote but are well off to the side, I'd not worry about using any rifle. Like Brian suggested, use frangibles.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Anyway you look at your hunting situation it ain't good. If you can't shoot in a safe direction. Why try. {Cows pasturing for a back drop. County roads at two compass points. } That's a lot of clutter requiring a awful lot of vigilance on your part.
Old May 3, 2014, 12:19 AM   #6
bamaranger

shot

When I tote a shotgun for coyotes, it is loaded with either the "Dead Coyote" T-shot (Tbuck) or #4Buck. The #4B seems a bit thin pattern wise but I have (had) a bunch of it and keep looking for the right gun/choke combo.

Always thought that BB (lead) would make a good coyote load too, but have only ever seen but a box or two of the stuff, and that years ago.

So what load have I killed coyotes with from a shotgun........#6 or #5 lead while turkey hunting, on several occasions. No doubt at all the ol'Wiley T has turkey sandwiches on his mind!
Old May 3, 2014, 07:47 PM   #7
upstate81

Hands down without a doubt the best coyote shotgun load is copper plated 3in #4 buck. Coupled with a full choke you will have a 50 yard combo. I can say from personal experience it will roll a yote at that distance. You can use the regular lead buck shot but its not as consistent at longer ranges due to some pellet deformation. I use Federal vital shok, 41 pellets with a MV of 1100 fps. I also have some of the regular blue box federal #4 buck, that also runs 41 pellets but 1210 FPS. Don't waste your time with the dead coyote T shot offering. Its outrageous money for shotgun ammo. I use a Winchester 1300 with a 28 in barrel. Give it a try you wont be disappointed.
Old May 3, 2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Mobuck

I've shot coyotes with #4 buck, BB, #2, and #4 shot. Only the ones at 25 yards or less were killed outright. I've smacked coyotes at ranges and with loads that would drop a gobbler in his tracks(2 ounces of #4) and watched them run off.
My answer would be a 17HMR even though I've not had real good results using them on coyotes. Those tiny 17 grain bullets simply don't ricochet.
Old May 3, 2014, 08:18 PM   #9
upstate81

Not to hijack the thread but Im curious...what kind of negative results have you had shooting coyotes with the .17hmr. I have heard it's pretty effective. Was considering my .22mag just for something new. Although I do own centerfires thought the mag would be fun.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Longshot4

I shot a yote last September wile Goose hunting. Number 3 BB in 3" with improved mod. It was about 60-70 Yds. Out and on a dead run. I stopped him instantly. Now my Son has a problem with Wolf and yotes in Michigans UP. The law suggests oo buck for Wolf when they come up to the house. Althouugh he just shot a yote with his 270 out at about 250 Yds. In march. I have hird that bick shot should not be shot with a full choke do to it can damage the shotgun. I don't know if it is true.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:28 AM   #11
upstate81

nope not true. Steel shot shouldnt be used with a full choke. Buck shot isnt steel its lead.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:04 PM   #12
TimSr

Quote:
Xtra-full? #2 or thereabouts to maybe 40 (?) yards.
Dittos
Old May 5, 2014, 08:11 AM   #13
reloader28

A friend of mine just got a new 17 super mag.
I would think that would be excellent for yotes.
Old May 7, 2014, 02:16 PM   #14
huntinaz

Extra full choke with #4 buck, Dead Coyote or Remington HD BB's are the preferred loads by most predator shotgunners. I like #4 buck.
Old May 8, 2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Mobuck

Regarding the question about the 17 HMR:
My Son and I have shot 4-5 coyotes using Hornady 17 HMR "tipped" ammo that simply ran off. We were sure of those hits but the bullets failed in some way. I put two bullets in the ribcage of a big female at under 35 yards. The first hit caused her to fall and the second was a backup as she got up but she made an exit into some tall CRP grass and escaped. So far, the only coyotes we've killed with the 17 have been headshots.
A body hit on a 40 # beaver likewise failed to kill but a brain shot as he moved off stopped his escape.
The only varmints I've seen killed quickly with body shots have been raccoons, possums, and groundhogs.
Old May 9, 2014, 09:53 PM   #16
CCCLVII

I think any thing that will hold its power over a long distance. I tried a few boxes of that Dead Coyote heavier than lead T shot and it worked well. I think it would be a good goose round as well.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:21 PM   #17
"JJ"

Well I am a fan of 3" #4 buck myself!
But MANY of my coyotes are called and shot on cattle ranches! If you abide by the 4 rules of gun safety you should be okay!
I have only had a couple of coyotes get a walk because of cows being in the way! One of those times I was 99% sure I could have made the shot but didn't want to risk $700 and the relationship with the landowner!
Most of the time the cows will avoid them and give you a clear shot!
Old June 1, 2014, 08:13 AM   #18
mannyCA

Any hunting shotgun in a 3" shell with 1 1/4 OZ of #7.5 will annihilate yotes up to 30yds. Minimum richochet.
Old June 1, 2014, 08:59 AM   #19
green_MTman

i have always been told 12 ga. #4 buck on coyotes
Old August 5, 2014, 09:17 PM   #20
"JJ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyCA View Post
Any hunting shotgun in a 3" shell with 1 1/4 OZ of #7.5 will annihilate yotes up to 30yds. Minimum richochet.
Are you suggesting using #7 1/2 shot for coyotes?
That won't end well!
At 30 yards I am not sure 7 1/2 shot would make them bleed!

I shot a bobcat twice last Friday at about 25 yards and then about 35 yards with 3" #4 BUCK shot and searched for an hour and never found the cat! And it even rolled on the 2nd shot but got up and continued to the tree line!
There have been a few coyotes from 20 to 50 yards survive the #4 BUCK shot as well!
That fur is thick enough, even here in Northeast Texas, to reduce penetration quite a bit!
I would save the 7 1/2 for doves and skeet!
Just my $.02!
Old August 7, 2014, 11:52 AM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

I'd always heard #4 buck or a bit larger (not #4 bird of course) on up to around #1 buck. But would highly prefer a rifle. More ethical in most situations.

Or better yet, a combo gun, such as my Savage 24DL with .22 mag on top, and 20 ga on bottom (actually I'd prefer a .223 rem / 20 ga, but don't have that one).

Quote:
My father in law has a coyote problem.
Who doesn't? Sigh...

Quote:
Are you suggesting using #7 1/2 shot for coyotes?
That won't end well!
At 30 yards I am not sure 7 1/2 shot would make them bleed!
Agreed. That's a bad idea. You'd have to change 30 yards to 8 yards for that to make sense.