The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Edward429451

Cleaning brass

I love doing things on the cheap. My friend got all set up to tumble brass with that new stainless steel media and dishsoap. He's got about 300 bucks in it with the tumbler and media. Not real bad when you consider that the media is reusable so it will even out in the long run.

I still want to do it cheaper than that. Someone posted about using a treadmill and a bottle, and a broomstick tied off to the risers in front. I tried that but didn't have much luck. I wound up using 2 X 4s and had a workable system in about 10 minutes.

I am using Gatorade bottles. I had bigger bottles but either they leaked, or were so smooth inside that it would not circulate the brass enough to be able to clean them. The Gatorade bottles are molded plastic which have indentations in them which grabs and holds brass very well. These drink size bottles hold an acceptable amount of brass. 50 45/70s, or 100 45 Colt. I have another bigger Gatorade bottle now and as soon as I drink it, my capacity to clean brass will go up. No dust! No dirty toxic dry media! Everything is captured in the water. It faster than dry media too.

The thing I hated most about dry media was that it did not clean the inside of the case well, and left media dust in the cases that had to be rinsed out or wiped out with a Q-tip. My wood contraption to hold the bottles on the treadmill is fitted tight to hold bottles, and pulls of easy so the mama can use the treadmill if she wants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boolits 019.jpg (243.0 KB, 216 views)
Old April 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Genius!

(Seriously. No joke. Impressive ingenuity.)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; April 27, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old April 26, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Don P

Just curious as to why you are concerned about cleaning the inside of the case?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 26, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
4runnerman

Brian AKA Peet-congrats on the position. Good for you
Old April 26, 2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Ethan.G

hahahaha that was me!! glad i could inspire and i gota say, much more elegant then mine. exactly what media are you using?

im using corncob with brass polish and i love it on pistol cases but i might be looking for something else for my 30.06
Old April 26, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
10 acre woods

so factoring in the cost of the tread mill how much do you have in that thing.
Old April 27, 2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Edward429451

My media is that stainless steel media (that I borrowed from my friend).

Cost? Well, I wont count the Gatorade bottles. The 2 X 4 was about 3 bucks, and the treadmill was about...free, so all in all it's a good deal. I expect I'll have to buy my own media eventually.

(My friend with the fat wife gave up on the treadmill but it stressed her to see it and not use it.) Get that thing outta here!
Old April 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
g.willikers

Just about every other garage sale seems to have a cheap treadmill.
There's lots of couch potatoes among us.
Wonder if there's a way to shorten the treadmill, since it's way too long, now, for the intended job.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:59 PM   #9
serf 'rett

Love it! Comes with adjustable speed control, too.
Old April 27, 2012, 01:00 PM   #10
gwalchmai

That's a pretty good system. You could make it even better by putting the bottles in your mother-in-law's trunk. Then as she drives around town she'll provide the motive force for the polishing.
Old April 27, 2012, 01:03 PM   #11
serf 'rett

For really shiny brass. Add some Lemishine. It will adjust the pH downward.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Edward429451

Haven't had a chance to pick up some Lemi shine yet, but judging from my friends brass and how much shinier it is than mine, I need it.

Yeah, I love that adjustable speed control. It lets me get it at just the right speed. Too slow takes to long, and too fast wont clean at all.

Cleaning the inside of the case is very important to me because My dry tumble walnut media would leave red abrasive dust in my cases that I do not want to send down my bore. wiping it out with a Q-Tip added an extra step and extra expense to get it out. This SS media leaves it squeeky clean, like virgin brass.

Do you think PH down for a fishtank would work as a polish? Acids acid, right?
Old April 27, 2012, 03:26 PM   #13
bfoosh006

Love it ! Thats using your brain and thinking outside the box !..... although, I am going to stick with my tumbler.... LOL

That darn thing takes up to much room.....
Old April 27, 2012, 03:42 PM   #14
serf 'rett

I read about the Lemishine being used most often. The Lemishine drops the pH into a acid range. I don't know if the fish tank stuff will lower the pH as much. Vinegar would probably work or lemon juice, maybe even Coke.

One part of the equation is cost of the pH adjuster material. I tumble with a small 3 pound Thumbler, with a capacity of 150 9mm or 100 40S&W cases. I only use three pinches of the Lemishine per barrel. I have tumbled over 20,000 pistol cases and have just about finished off my second bottle of Lemishine, so the Lemishine is economical. I suspect the fish tank stuff is more costly and the vinegar stinks.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:46 PM   #15
bfoosh006

Lemishine link...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/34...emi_Shine.html

More links...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Lemis...x=&startPage=1
Old May 1, 2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Edward429451

It doesn't really take up extra room. It's the mommas and has a place. I'm using it more than she does now though!