The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old July 16, 2008, 09:09 PM   #51
ZeroJunk

Quote:
You might as well say that concealed carry is illegal in every state and oppose talking about it on forums because it makes gun owners look bad. Neither is true.
BS. A concealed carry permit in NC is a simple matter.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:15 PM   #52
MGRacer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You might as well say that concealed carry is illegal in every state and oppose talking about it on forums because it makes gun owners look bad. Neither is true.

BS. A concealed carry permit in NC is a simple matter.
It is not a simple matter in California.

Bottom line -- silencers are fun and legal in most states. They should be legal in all states, in fact they should be strongly supported by the gun community since they are a very positive influence on shooting. Hollywood and the movies that show suppressors in a certain way have "poisoned the well" on silencers just like they try on guns in general.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:16 PM   #53
Zak Smith

Quote:
BS. I concealed carry permit in NC is a simple matter.
I used that example specifically because the application requirements are similar. One might argue that the NC CCW application process has more requirements:

from http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/sheriff/...concealed.aspx
Quote:
* Must apply in person.
* Must be able to properly complete application process.
* Must be 21 years of age or older.
* Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's License or N.C. State Identification Card.
* Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
* Must be a resident of Forsyth County for a minimum of 30 days.
* Must provide proof of residency.
* Must provide a list of all previous addresses.
* Must have successfully completed an approved firearms training course and provide the original certificate with application – Firearms Safety Certificate.
* If discharged from the military, must provide a copy of your DD-214 which indicates an Honorable Discharge.
* Must authorize Mental Health background check.
* Must pass criminal history background check.
* Must provide complete set of legible fingerprints (taken at time of application).
* Must be eligible to own, posses or receive a firearm under the provisions of State or Federal Law. See N.C. Firearm Laws.
The cost is $95 (not quite half the NFA transfer tax fee), and the delay (90 days quoted) is more or less similar to an NFA transfer time (Form 4).

The requirements for a Form 4 transfer are fewer in number, but substantially identical.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:16 PM   #54
ZeroJunk

LOL, the moderators probably didn't expect a fight in the gunsmith forum. I don't really care one way or the other, just didn't like the tone toward Harry. Later
Old July 17, 2008, 08:07 AM   #55
TPAW

Zak Smith

Thank you for the info.
Old July 17, 2008, 12:44 PM   #56
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
You don't think so. It's the same as saying fully automatic machine guns are legal. The same hurdles apparently have to be jumped in NC. From my point of view you are the one splitting hairs.
I am probably the only one that believes this, but I think the "hurdles" are reasonable. I really don't want people who have been declared mentally unstable or who are known to associate with criminals, but have never been indicted to get any of these things legally. I would prefer that everyone have a license which requires CLEO signature to purchase guns. Then not have the background check for individual purchases. I would much rather pay say $500 to get a real background check done and then not have the the hassle of of individual background checks and a registry that could always be used to seize firearms(really, what else is the purpose of the current system).

As far as illegal use for murders, I think anyone who has given the subject much attention at all realizes expedient suppressors can be manufactured for short term use relatively easy. Even without looking it up online I am sure many on this forum with basic firearm knowledge could dream up an expedient suppressor. Just as many could easily manufacture a zip gun. What separates us from criminals is not our possession of these items, but our willingness to work within the system to attain them, no matter how strange the rules are, and responsibly/legally use them.
I have already discussed this purchase with my CLEO, and it is legal in my area. He is not at all concerned about me having it. I was just wondering how many I should budget for. Looks like one for my .22lr and one for both the .222 and .223 centerfires will be fine.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 18, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old July 17, 2008, 02:54 PM   #57
ZeroJunk

John, I don't have any problem with them. In the end Zak and I were nit picking about whether an otherwise illegal object or material obtainable with a special permit should be generally labeled as legal. I doubt many state governments will ever allow them to be acquired without some special permit nor should they IMO. I'm sure others will look at it differently.
Old July 19, 2008, 09:32 AM   #58
Harry Bonar

silencer

Guys;
OH! MY!
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 10:01 AM   #59
Harry Bonar

silencers

Sirs;
I had NO idea this would grow into the size it has.
Now, I'll tell you my view on silencers:
When I see a silencer on a rifle I think that it is going to be used for an illegal purpose - and - that the individual using one isn't using it for hearing protection but for some stupid illegal purpose. I feel the same about muzzle brakes - they damage your hearing and those about you (african P.H. will either have you unscrew it or go back to the plane.)
Do silencer or brakes enhance accuracy? NOTHING you screw on the muzzle of a rifle does anything for accuracy, BOSS or anything (bullet seating does the job of BOSS to some degree).
The same about super lite triggers - they are used generally because many shooters flinch and they think it helps (it doesnt - they still flinch).
The muzzle of a rifle is a sacred sight - it must be a perfect exit for the bullet and nothing in the bullets way will help to stabilize it - NOTHING.
If a person needs a silencer or brake they need to go to a smaller caliber they can shoot well.
The ONLY reason I personally can see for a silencer is poaching or some other erroneouus activity. This is just my personal opinion. If I was going to poach or god forbid shoot people in a city surrounding - yea - I might want a silencer! I'm not sorry for my opinion, nor my post but I cannot for the life of me understand this eruption of comment.
Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; July 19, 2008 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 19, 2008, 10:48 AM   #60
zoomie

Quote:
If a person needs a silencer or brake they need to go to a smaller caliber they can shoot well.
The ONLY reason I personally can see for a silencer is poaching or some other erroneous activity. This is just my personal opinion.
Antis think gun control works. It's their opinion. Unfortunately their opinion, like yours, is wrong.

I would like a suppressor on my .223 hog gun. What "smaller caliber" would you recommend? The suppressor would mean I wouldn't have to wear plugs to protect my hearing. Then I could more easily hear the world around me. It would also mean I'd have a chance to take more than 1 hog at a time. Since the pests are often found in groups of 5-10-15, I could take multiple pigs without them scattering, or at least have a chance as such. As it is, we coordinate shots among multiple shooters so we all shoot at one time at different pigs. It works, but a suppressor would make it much nicer. A suppressor on my .308 deer rifle would be a great benefit, also. If we all had suppressors, Walker Game Ear wouldn't have a market.

You, sir, are clueless on this subject.
Old July 19, 2008, 12:08 PM   #61
VUPDblue

It's absolutely inconceiveable to me that a fellow firearm enthusiast could harbor that opinion. I don't agree with it in any way, shape or form, and I think you should be embarrassed to call yourself a firearms enthusiast. You are certainly no friend of the second ammendment, nor the shooting sports community as a whole. What a shame...
Old July 19, 2008, 01:25 PM   #62
MGRacer

Harry Bonar
Quote:
The ONLY reason I personally can see for a silencer is poaching or some other erroneouus activity.
How would you react if someone said:
Quote:
The ONLY reason I personally can see for a very accurate rifle is poaching, sniping, or some other erroneouus activity.
Sir,

You are entitled to your view, but it is uninformed and demonstrably wrong. It is the kind of blanket statements that those who would attempt to take our rights away will use against us. That is the reason for
Quote:
this eruption of comment.
We will defend our rights.

A couple of guns for a fun afternoon with the kids and others. Quiet, accurate, economical, fun.

Last edited by MGRacer; July 19, 2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity add picture
Old July 19, 2008, 03:42 PM   #63
Harry Bonar

silencer

Sirs:
OH! MY! OH! MY!
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 03:47 PM   #64
Harry Bonar

guys

Fellas:
I just hope everybody sleeps well. I still think you're all great guys!
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 04:06 PM   #65
MisterWilson

Quote:
Fellas:
I just hope everybody sleeps well. I still think you're all great guys!
Harry B.
Well you're entitled to your opinion, as we are ours.

I'm pretty sure that they're quite contrary...

Your thinking is irrational, emotional and devoid of logic. Your programming is nearly complete.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:14 PM   #66
Harry Bonar

silencers

Sirs;
I have simply given my opinion. That is all it is - it is simply no reason for the personal attacks which I deem to be mean spirited and impolite.
I've tried to just brush this off and defuse the situation but to no avail.
It appears that there is no respect given to a 73 year old mans simple opinion anymore. The statements made about me are all false; I've been a supporter on T.V. and news print in my area for gun rights several times. I've worked on guns my entire adult life - I love guns.
I've done "contract" work for Charleston WVa police sniper division - homeland defense, desert storm A10 pilots and many other agencies un-named. I've supplied an ex-Vietnam sniper, forensic team leader whose picture with his crew was in J.Edgar Hoovers office till his retirement. I worked contracted for Wayne Novaks 45 Shop for years on special projects.
I am a loyal American and support the second amendment. I'm old fashioned in my views and make no apology for them.
Now, I've taken your remarks and resent them and will post no more on this subject - my views run the same now as then
Now, I wish you all well - I hope you enjoy your sport; I just would like some of you to grow up and respect others opinions without demeaning them personally. I wish you all well.
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:29 PM   #67
MisterWilson

Quote:
I'm old fashioned in my views and make no apology for them.
This is the crux of the issue. By "old fashioned" you mean "close minded". You've got your opinion and you're not willing to hear anything else.

Meanwhile you support the right to keep and bear, but only the arms YOU feel are acceptable. This is a dangerous opinion and is largely responsible for the disarmament of most of Europe, so forgive us if we don't see it as merely an opinion but downright threatening.

Like I said, you're not willing to change your mind based off anything you will read or be told, so I propose this:

Give us a ballpark of where you live. God willing, if in a free state, lets see if we can't arrange someone to take you out shooting with a quality suppressor or two and see if we can't change your mind via that route. I'm sure you would enjoy it immensely.

Respectfully yours...
Old July 19, 2008, 08:36 PM   #68
Harry Bonar

Mister Wilson

Mister Wilson;
I'll be happy to tell you where I live - then we can have a face to face discussion. I live at Veto Ohio and anyone can tell you where I live.
I think this is getting really out of hand and I'm sick of it.
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:38 PM   #69
MisterWilson

Veto Ohio, got it. Gimme a moment.

There's a website, ar15adviser.com, which kinda started off as an Ohio hometown forum. Might be a good start.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:43 PM   #70
Joey

Sirs;
I have simply given my opinion. That is all it is - it is simply no reason for the personal attacks which I deem to be mean spirited and impolite.
I've tried to just brush this off and defuse the situation but to no avail.
It appears that there is no respect given to a 73 year old mans simple opinion anymore. The statements made about me are all false; I've been a supporter on T.V. and news print in my area for gun rights several times. I've worked on guns my entire adult life - I love guns.
I've done "contract" work for Charleston WVa police sniper division - homeland defense, desert storm A10 pilots and many other agencies un-named. I've supplied an ex-Vietnam sniper, forensic team leader whose picture with his crew was in J.Edgar Hoovers office till his retirement. I worked contracted for Wayne Novaks 45 Shop for years on special projects.
I am a loyal American and support the second amendment. I'm old fashioned in my views and make no apology for them.
Now, I've taken your remarks and resent them and will post no more on this subject - my views run the same now as then
Now, I wish you all well - I hope you enjoy your sport; I just would like some of you to grow up and respect others opinions without demeaning them personally. I wish you all well.
Harry B.

Jim Zumbo was outspoken in his views and un willing to learn till he was "Zumboed" by evil black rifle owners. He lots all kinds of money and his jobs as Hunting Editor for Outdoor Life magazine and host of the television program Jim Zumbo Outdoors on The Outdoor Channel.

He was smart enough and able to learn from his mistakes.

Are you of the same caliber as that of Jim Zumbo, or are you a narrow minded FUDD as your statements above indicate.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:45 PM   #71
Harry Bonar

Mister Wilson

Staff;
If you permit these personal attcks then I'm done on the forum. This is getting very personal to me. Anyone can stop by if they have a problem with me. Face to Face.
Harry B.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:47 PM   #72
Joey

Veto Ohio, got it. Gimme a moment.

There's a website, ar15adviser.com, which kinda started off as an Ohio hometown forum. Might be a good start

MisterWilson, do you have the ability to post a link on that silencer forum you mentioned to this thread?

It would be nice to have others knowledgeable in the silencer world to chime in about this topic.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:49 PM   #73
MisterWilson

Aww come on Harry, take it easy. You've made some pretty inflammatory statements and while I'm sure we could have kept a better buffer between our minds and our mouths (or hands), there's no good reason to start making ultimatums & throwing down gauntlets.

Lets just work on getting you a product demo on a few cans and take things from there.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:50 PM   #74
Joey

Staff;
If you permit these personal attcks then I'm done on the forum. This is getting very personal to me. Anyone can stop by if they have a problem with me. Face to Face.
Harry B.

There are no personal attacks against you, just differing opinions and you are unable to be open minded to learn and grow in the firearms arena.

You state you above references, yet are un willing to learn more about silencer's and retreat under a guise of being under personal attack and the threat to leave this site.

I'm sorry you are such a narrow minded person.
Old July 19, 2008, 08:52 PM   #75
MisterWilson

Joey, I'm wondering whether or not it'd be a good idea.

I look at it like this, if we could win over Mister Bonar (hehe), we'd win over a lot more people than just himself.

Other folks are watching this no doubt and making judgments based on it.
Closed Thread