The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 27, 2012, 05:29 PM   #26
hoghunting

Quote:
Remember, the reason the companies were bought in the first place was because they were profitable. New owners frequently come in and try to make them more profitable by looking at the bottom line instead of what is going out the back door.
Remington was on the verge of bankruptcy when purchased by Cerberus, big green had production problems, financial problems and a lack of sales.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:43 PM   #27
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
That is the problem with declining quality and sorry quality control measures ... you get too many lemons...
And that is due to trying to compete with the stuff from China - sometimes they can't without making huge $$$ cuts
Old December 27, 2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Mezzanine

Ahh Remington, i must say give me a 700 over almost all other bolt rifles out there. I personally have a Freedom group Rem 597 22lr that out of the box would outshoot a 10/22 any day. A Marlin XT-17 which shoots easily as good as a Savage 93r17 if not better, for less $. And a DPMS 6.5LR which will punch half minute 5 shot strings. Oh and a Remington 11-87, now the shotgun required about 200 shells of break in to reliably cycle but the 500 after that have had 0 malfunctions. DPMS had a factory mag that was giving me feed problems, replaced that 1 magazine with 2 when i inquired about it.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:09 PM   #29
johnbt

"And that is due to trying to compete with the stuff from China"

Are you referring to pump shotguns? I don't see any Chinese bolt actions being imported to compete with the Model 700 or any lever actions to compete with the Marlins. etc.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:02 PM   #30
BigD_in_FL

When most folks talk Remington, the only thing they know is a pump gun, and since this IS the shotgun forum, rifles don't count
Old December 29, 2012, 03:24 AM   #31
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
When most folks talk Remington, the only thing they know is a pump gun, and since this IS the shotgun forum, rifles don't count
Can't forget the 1100.... Many of those have made it into Podunk and other remote corners of the nation...
Old December 29, 2012, 12:02 PM   #32
johnbt

"rifles don't count"

Unfortunately, I live in the real world where they do count when discussing a gun company's health and balance sheet. The thread title is about the entire company being sold, not just the shotgun models.
Old December 29, 2012, 07:55 PM   #33
BigD_in_FL

Then do so in the general gun forum, otherwise,in this forum discuss their crappy shotguns
Old December 29, 2012, 08:01 PM   #34
Hoosier_Daddy

BigDinFL,
Congrats on being assigned as a Moderator.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:18 PM   #35
BigD_in_FL

Cut the BS, OK?
You want to thrash their rifles? There is a forum for that
Last I saw, this particular section was devoted to shotguns

Maybe you can get a clarification from Brent....
Old December 29, 2012, 09:50 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BigD... You do realize the thread was not begun by discussing Remington shotguns??? Let me remind you... It was begun to mention that a massive "holdings firm" was selling ALL of their gun related companies...

I failed to close it as not being SHOTGUN related in the first place... But I did so since Remington makes shotguns as does H&R... As for Cerebus buying these companies due to their profitability... NOT SO TRUE... They buy DISTRESSED companies for pennies on the dollar and if they become profitable, they make money... If not, they can sell them off at pennies on the dollar and the revenue of product sales during ownership acts as the "interest" they need to make it,... well... interesting to the investors... You don't think Chrysler was profitable when they took over and turned it around???

So now with all the griping and the self appointed moderation... We will close this...

Brent
Closed Thread