The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #26
Terry A

[QUOTE][Today, 12:42 PM #24
pturner67

Posts: 427 I like the advantage that people don't know what my HD setup is. I will say that my setup is established before you can get to my doors or windows.

Same here.
My immediate family knows and that's it.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old August 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #27
Sparks1957

I would rather leave it a bit of a mystery too... only my wife knows for sure.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:44 PM   #28
WV_gunner

Stoegor Condor with a shell holder on the stock with Federal 000. When I move into my next home, I'm gonna use my new to me Mossburg 500 Slugster. Possibly getting a side saddle. Might use both guns.

My double also is a hunting gun, the Slugster might get used for deer for a day this season.

I like your idea of a Saiga 12, reliability of an AK action is good and their slight accuracy problem doesn't matter as much with a shotgun. If I already didn't have three 12 gauges, I'd be interested in one. But they aren't cheap, around here an unconverted bone stock Saiga goes for $400-$500 new. I seen a beat up converted Saiga .410 forsale for $500 at a flea market. People are crazy. And a Saiga 12 drum is expensive, the biggest you can really get is 20. The 30 rounders are crazy expensive. And unless you are going up against alot of people that are good, I don't see a situation where 30 rounds will help. A good regular gun holding 5+1 or whatever ought to do the trick at a much cheaper price. Get a side saddle and a shell holder if you want the extra rounds. And if you get a Mossberg you can get the extended magazine that holds 8+1 I belive. That with the side saddle and shell holder gives you 20 rounds. If you are lucky, you can find a kit that converts them to use 10+1 drums. But are rare and expensive, probably not worth the cost.

Last edited by WV_gunner; August 7, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:24 PM   #29
hermannr

A miniture Dachshund to wake us up, and a very old (20's) Colt .38 on the bed stand. An even older (1903) Winchester 1897 upstairs. Those are the night time instant access defences. Both the revolver and shotgun started life as LE weapons.
Old August 8, 2012, 12:42 AM   #30
TheNocturnus

Quote:
A miniture Dachshund to wake us up, and a very old (20's) Colt .38 on the bed stand. An even older (1903) Winchester 1897 upstairs. Those are the night time instant access defences. Both the revolver and shotgun started life as LE weapons.
My wife and I also have Dachshunds. We have 2, they WILL wake you up if a leaf hits the ground outside. Great alarm systems, but very stubborn. Love em to death!
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 8, 2012, 02:11 AM   #31
Justice06RR

AR15 under the bed and Mosin M44 in the bathroom closet. Unfortunately I don't own any handguns at the moment, but it never worried me when i'm at home.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:20 AM   #32
jogonmd95

BUSH M4 and REM model 11, 12ga w/00 in my closet.Flashlight and a 1911 w/Golden Saber JHP by nightstand and about 20 knives and machetes under the bed.Oh ,7 Labradors outside, but they'll just lick the BGs to death!
Wifey, w/ a badass attitude beside me.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:23 AM   #33
rgrundy

My wife has her Remington 870 Youth shotgun loaded with buckshot on her side of the bed so I'm not worried. And she looks so sweet.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #34
Amsdorf

Benelli M4 with #1 buckshoot, nine round capacity, ready to go.
Glock 26 with 9mm JHP+P and laser sight.

And, if necessary, M4 Carbine.
Old August 11, 2012, 11:38 AM   #35
gaseousclay

my dog and a baseball bat
Old August 14, 2012, 01:34 PM   #36
scottd913

two Chihuahua's ... sleeps in bedroom
tactical Mossberg 500 12 ga. 1oz. slugs and 00 buck beside bed
s&w 9mm. on bedside table or on my person while awake
s&w model36 chief special w/hollow points in wifes bedside tbl
sks w/20 rnd. mag. behind bedroom door
eaa .380 auto in hide away book in main living area
home owner has black belt in mu do kwan taekwondo
but watch out for them Chihuahua's
oh the main defense is the house is always occupied
Old August 14, 2012, 04:22 PM   #37
FrosSsT

Quote:
two Chihuahua's ... sleeps in bedroom
Tactical Chihuahuas.
Old August 14, 2012, 04:37 PM   #38
jstgsn

self defense weapons?

Dear Sirs,
I have no weapons. I do not believe in violence and would never hurt anyone, even in self defense. God did not put us on this earth to cause harm to others.

(HONEY!!! Is that black SUV still by the driveway??? I think I heard a helicopter close by. Close the shades.)

Where was I. As I was saying, my wife and I use plastic sporks to eat with as even plastic knives can be a threat.

(HOLY CRAP....There goes that black SUV again. Why did I ever go on that firearm forum and talk about my guns???? What was I thinking???)

No, we love our president (arrgh, gag, argh). Our government is doing everything they can to protect us, we don't need to do anything. (barf - gag)

Ok that pretty much sums it up. I have to go reload......I mean send a donation to Oba---gag----argh---- barf...

What I am saying is do you really want to go on a public forum and discuss your security? Shrinks are now saying that vets with bug out bags have a mental problem.

Old August 14, 2012, 05:01 PM   #39
Boatme98

You would have to visit me unannounced to find that out.
Old August 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #40
Eghad

If seven rounds of 12 ga plus what I can shove in the shotgun while moving back don't stop somebody I don't think any other gun is going to do me much good.

NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2012, 11:14 PM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

I think low class criminals have better things to do than track IP addresses. Sorry, TRY to track IP addresses.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / G30 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old August 14, 2012, 11:27 PM   #42
allaroundhunter

AR-15 with pressure activated light within arm's reach. M&P9 FS also within arm's reach, with a TLR-1s mounted and a spare magazine. Other deterrents are also in place, but these are the closest ones that are under my immediate control to defend myself.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old August 14, 2012, 11:34 PM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter View Post
AR-15 with pressure activated light within arm's reach. M&P9 FS also within arm's reach, with a TLR-1s mounted and a spare magazine. Other deterrents are also in place, but these are the closest ones that are under my immediate control to defend myself.

Sent from my HTC One X
Lol. Been there. Which one do you grab when you actually have an issue arise or you think you do?

I ask cause I usually go for the handgun.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / G30 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old August 14, 2012, 11:43 PM   #44
LockedBreech

I have my Beretta PX4 loaded and chambered with an extra magazine. That's 29 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 180-grain. .40 S&W.

Honestly, I have a great M4 and an awesome shotgun, but they're kept put away. I live in a small place and it just feels absurd to have those out for the evening. If the threat is not deterred by over two dozen rounds of .40 S&W - in which case I'm really in trouble - I should be able to walk the twenty steps to my closet by then and bust out the heavier stuff, but none of the heavier stuff is instantly accessible like the PX4 is.

Also, much more importantly, I lock my doors and windows and I keep an eye out for sketchy things.

It helps that living in Wyoming means you're about as likely to be attacked by wildlife as a person, and neither are very likely if you're not stupid about things.
Old August 14, 2012, 11:57 PM   #45
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Lol. Been there. Which one do you grab when you actually have an issue arise or you think you do?

I ask cause I usually go for the handgun.

sent from my Android
Typically, the issue is something requiring me to go investigate (coyote in the yard, kid in the kitchen), meaning the handgun goes with me. If someone is for sure in the house or in the process of breaking in and I am setting up a defensive position, I am grabbing the AR and getting ready to let loose (after everyone is in the safe room).

Sent from my HTC One X
Old August 15, 2012, 12:18 AM   #46
FireForged

Inside the home its a Smith Model 10 and a Mossy 12ga.
Old August 15, 2012, 12:30 AM   #47
Tactical Jackalope

Gotcha...it happens so fast though. The times it's happened to me. Hell I'll take a pic now.

The G21sf mag full of 230gr JHP's and 2 spare mags of FMJ's also 230gr.

The G19 4th Gen with that 2.5lbs trigger that I carry is on standby. It does night duty here and there too. Miss my TLR-1.

By the way. I HATE a nightstand gun with no night sights. Both of these have them.

sent from my Android
Old August 15, 2012, 01:13 AM   #48
allaroundhunter

It does happen fast, for the most part that is why my M&P is what is grabbed 99% of the time. Heck, the only time I have grabbed the AR was when there was a hog in the back yard.... But it is good to know that it is there

Sent from my HTC One X
Old August 15, 2012, 01:21 AM   #49
LockedBreech

A few nights ago, my door blew in violently at about 3 AM. As a student, I live in a small studio and the foot of my bed is only 20 feet from my door. I had forgotten to throw the lock and the latch is unreliable. I was truly ashamed of how slowly I reacted, I just sat there like a lump for a few.

I was pretty happy that when I did grab the Beretta and swept my porch with my TLR-1, I realized I had automatically swept off the safety without thinking. Training!
Old August 15, 2012, 07:34 AM   #50
gaseousclay

Quote:
A few nights ago, my door blew in violently at about 3 AM. As a student, I live in a small studio and the foot of my bed is only 20 feet from my door. I had forgotten to throw the lock and the latch is unreliable. I was truly ashamed of how slowly I reacted, I just sat there like a lump for a few.

I was pretty happy that when I did grab the Beretta and swept my porch with my TLR-1, I realized I had automatically swept off the safety without thinking. Training!
there is no defense against a Poltergeist

Tags
defense , home defense , pistol , self defense , shotgun