The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 14, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1
arcticap

CVA Electra with ARC Electronic Ignition

There have been guns built with electronic triggers before, but CVA's electronic BP rifle seems like a pretty neat concept.
CVA claims that the ignition burns 5 times hotter than a #209 primer.

Quote:
The World's First Electronic Igniton MuzzleLoader

Our new Electra™ rifles are like no other muzzleloaders on earth, featuring the patent pending ARC™ Electronic Ignition. The ARC™ Electronic Ignition is completely sealed from the elements – there’s not even a flash-hole. No parts other than the barrel have to be cleaned of fouling – ever! Ignition is absolutely instantaneous. The trigger pull is incredibly clean – because the “trigger” is really an electronic switch. And since there is no pressure explosion, as there is with primer ignitions, there is no accuracy robbing displacement of the charge – allowing full and consistent burn of the powder charge at the bottom of the barrel. One 9-volt battery will reliably fire the rifle at least 500 times, and the battery will last 600 hours (25 days) – and that’s if it is left turned on! The Electra is the ultimate muzzleloader in ease-of-use, rapid reloading, ease-of-cleaning and never-fail reliability. And all Electras are equipped with a premium Bergara Barrel – for unmatched accuracy.
There's also a video link on the following page:

http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_electra.htm
Old July 25, 2007, 02:10 PM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Since the firing mechanism is totally electronic, it eliminates a manually secure safety of any kind. Makes me wonder how long it will be before some kind of electronic malfunction happens about the time your putting the rod down the barrel to load a bullet.

Seems like a really cool concept due to eliminating the mechanics of a firing pin and such, but I'm not sure I would want to be the first one to buy one. I think I will give them a year or two and see what happens.

Since the adoption of all the computerized chips in automobiles I have had trouble with the first two or three years when they first came out, I just wouldn't feel to safe about them just yet. I'm probably being a little to cautious about them, but only time will tell.
Old July 25, 2007, 03:41 PM   #3
arcticap

I learned from the video that it has a master on/off switch, and then a separate safety switch. Plus there is a red LED light that blinks when the system is waiting to be armed, which then turns solid red when armed.

It's not unheard of to have powder charges supposedly set off from hot embers left in the barrel. In theory, the higher ignition temperature should more completely burn any of the powder which could get left behind in the barrel.
For the price, it should be a safe & reliable system but as you indicate, there's always going to be doubts & fears about the safety and reliability of any electronic trigger and ignition system, especially a new one.
I'm intrigued by it not needing any kind of percussion caps and the fast ignition.

Last edited by arcticap; July 26, 2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old July 25, 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
atblis

Hmm

I see some benefits.

No fouling back in the action

Should have a nice light trigger

No primers to fumble with

I'll wait and pick one up on clearance just because no matter how great it is, people won't buy it.

Also, I've read about 209s actually being too much primer. Supposedly they actually knock the bullet/sabot off the powder charge before it lights. I could see where this might alleviate that issue (supposing it is an issue).
Old July 26, 2007, 10:32 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Yeah, but it's called a *primitive* hunt. Primitive.....not Buck Rogers.

I dunno. I really canNOT act high & mighty on this issue, since I use an inline & a scoped rifle for primitive season. So I'm being hypocritical I guess. Just seems like you oughtta draw the line somewhere. But I'll admit that I cannot see a very good principled basis to draw the line after a modern scope but before electronic ignition. Neither one was available in Daniel Boone's time.
Old July 26, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
mykeal

The idea is to enjoy hunting and the outdoors. If someone wants/needs to wear purple socks or carry a ray gun or hunt with an inline, it has nothing to do with me or my enjoyment, so as long as he/she enjoys what he/she's doing, more power to him/her.

By the way, it's not called a 'primitive' season everywhere - it's 'muzzleloader' season here in Michigan. So, why isn't 'primitive' season limited to stone axes, anyway?

I have more important things to worry about, like why Medicare requires me to pay $51.10 for a $30.00 doctor's bill.
Old July 26, 2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Shotgun Willy

Old/New

I was perusing the internet the other day and found a Youtube demonstration of the "Metalstorm" system. It's basically this system with many rounds stacked on top of each other. They're talking about, and demonstrating, a variable rate of fire of about 1 to 1,000,000 rounds per minute or so. Very impressive.
Thought the similarities were interesting.
Bill
Old July 30, 2007, 08:32 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Mykeal, you make a very good point.
Old July 31, 2007, 04:48 PM   #9
atblis

Well

The metal storm system really isn't all that cool. Its usefulness is actually quite limited.

I don't deer hunt, I deer harvest. The little buggers taste good enough to get my but off the couch.