The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2001, 09:49 PM   #1
Fred S

Extractor Dings

I note that most reloading manuals tell you to discard bradd that has dents and dings. However, many semi-autos ding the brass or flatten part of the mouth of the case. What do you guys do about this? Use the brass, toss it, or what?

GO ARMY
Old June 22, 2001, 10:55 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Dinged brass

Fred--
I'd soon be out of brass if I discarded every case with minor dents and dings. With mild bumps on the side, the resizing and mouth belling seem to handle the problem nicely. With more radical dents, I use the nose of a loaded hardball round to open the mouth out. I have used (closed) needle nose pliers, or the handle of pliers to smooth things out.

I believe the cautions in the manuals are more applicable to really severe dents, which actually fracture the brass.

I am working on the assumption that by "extractor dings" you mean dings inflicted during the extraction/ejection process. If you really do mean dings inflicted by the extractor on the rim, or possible damage to the base damaged by the ejector, then you're discussing badly overloaded cartridges, to have pressure that high.

Most cases are damaged by the case striking the slide, usually on one edge of the ejection port. This can very often be cured by altering the angle of the face of the ejector, or working over the extractor hook. This is not difficul=t to do, given a knowledge of the geometry of the parts. It is easy to mess up, though, so it is not a do-it-yourself matter if you don't either obtain competent instruction, or do a good bit of practice. But don't start without having spare parts on hand. It is quite possible to make a functioninig pistol which merely dings brass into a non-working wall hanger.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 23, 2001, 12:19 AM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Same-same as Johnny mentioned for rifle cases (especially .223 Rem - I seem to always get some of these!) when they get lube-dented by having just a tad too much resizing lube around the shoulder area.

Other than for possible extreme accuracy use, these can be loaded & shot as normal. Pressures of the firing sequence just fireforms them right back into shape.

Minor dents or out-of-round condition of the case mouth is usually taken care of by the resizing process. May be necessary as mentioned to round 'em out a bit before running 'em through the sizing die.

Unless it'll cause a problem with case integrity, I'll use 'em.