The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
kdog70

Testing New loads.

Well I pressed out my first 60 or so rounds of 308 for my AR and took them to the range. 5 shot groups with each powder charge going from min. to max. with .5 increments of varget. Shot five shot groups at 100 then a ladder group test at 300 well actually two ladder test. At any rate the smallest two were pushed out and the biggest one was pushed out but other than that from 43-45.5 the groups were identical in size at 100 and touching at 300 did i do something wrong?? six groups that were identical all different charges.....Win Cases, win primer, sierra 165 HPBT, Varget powder. Seated to 2.750.
Old March 8, 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Not neccesarily. You were probably in the "sweet spot" as far as barrel harmonics. In simple terms, the vibration wave running up and down your barrel when a round is fired just happened to NOT be at the muzzle when your bullet was exiting the barrel. Sounds like you figured out your charge weight...now play with seating depth and you may be able to shrink your groups even more! Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~