The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Twycross

Problem with chambering

I reload 7mm WSM, and the last batch had an issue I cannot figure out. All the rounds I did that day were stiff to chamber, difficult to extract, and several showed signs of overpressure.

I've never had this issue with factory ammunition, or with anything else I've reloaded. I've checked the unfired loads from this batch, and they are dimensionally identical to the round I reloaded just now (which chambers fine), and well within specs. Anybody know what might have caused this?
Old March 13, 2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Wyoredman

Were the reloads you were using the once fired Winchester Nickle brass? Had this problem in my .270 WSM. The Winchester nickle brass was not resizing in my dies. I had to adjust them down nearly another 1/2 turn to get them to size the nickle.
Old March 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
PA-Joe

What were the signs of over pressure? When was the last time you calibrated your scale? What scale are you using and did you spot check every 5th round? Also when was the last time you gave your chamber a good cleaning?Type of dies and cases might also help.
Old March 13, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Twycross

Quote:
Were the reloads you were using the once fired Winchester Nickle brass?
Yes, that is the brass I was using. But it seems to be sized correctly, and I haven't had this issue when using the same once-fired type in other batches.

Quote:
When was the last time you calibrated your scale? What scale are you using and did you spot check every 5th round? Also when was the last time you gave your chamber a good cleaning? Type of dies and cases might also help.
I use RCBS dies, and I check every round (I load in small quantity). The chamber is clean, but even if not, it shouldn't matter. I can chamber a round from the batch in question, and then a factory round or a round I just loaded, and feel the difference.

As to the signs of overpressure, two primers were completely ejected from the primer pocket.
Old March 13, 2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Wyoredman

It is the brass. Adjust your dies down and, resize again, then try the re-resized brass in the gun again. I promise, it will work.

The nickel brass from Winchester (for my WSM, anyway) does NOT size the same as regular brass! My die settings for regular brass and Winchester nickel are differant.

This will not help your overpressure problem, just your initial chambering problem. If the primers came out, is your bolt face burnt?
Old March 13, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Screw die in farther. Use less powder.
Old March 13, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
mehavey

nickel-plated cases stiffen up quickly -- both in handguns and in rifles. In handguns they begin to spit at the neck, in high-pressure rifles they become more resistant to sizing. It's a well-documented metallurgical "feature,"

Brass is a handloader's friend.
Nickel plating is not
Old March 13, 2012, 06:45 PM   #8
math teacher

Can you slip a bullet into a fired nickel case? I have had new nickel cases with necks that are too thick making them difficult or impossible to chamber. That will definately cause excess pressure as the neck has no room to expand. The entire case is probably thicker than unplated brass, but the neck is the critical part. If you can't easily slip a bullet into a fired case neck, you need to ream the necks.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:34 PM   #9
xtratoy

Adjusting the dies won't fix the primer pocket situation.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #10
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
As to the signs of overpressure, two primers were completely ejected from the primer pocket.
I just went back to read that. You are waaaaaay overpressure ... 80,000psi range.

It may be any number of things, from internal case volume differences to case neck interference
in the throat, to bullet seating depth, ...but back off at least 1½ to 2 full grains with that
bullet/case/powder combination.

Verify that the cases are trimmed to min-length spec (<2.1" ?)
...and see if you can scounge up a chronograph

Last edited by mehavey; March 14, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:57 AM   #11
PA-Joe

You didn't say what your load was.

That may help.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:08 PM   #12
tango1niner

This does not address the over pressure issue as that has been mentioned already but... read someones post about screwing the sizer die down more. The shell holder should be set to contact the sizing die when sizing.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:35 PM   #13
Twycross

The load was 68 gr Magpro w/ 160 gr Accubond. That's straight from the Nosler manual, and it's not a maximum charge.

What I don't get is that everything I did on that day exhibited the same chambering problems, and I cannot recreate it. I'm holding a bad round, a round I just reloaded using the same brass/bullet, and a factory round, and only the bad one is tight to chamber. I've gone over them with a micrometer, and all three are dimensionally identical to within 0.002".

Quote:
Can you slip a bullet into a fired nickel case?
Yes, that can be done easily.

Quote:
Verify that the cases are trimmed to min-length spec
They are in spec, at 2.093".

Quote:
The shell holder should be set to contact the sizing die when sizing.
I'm doing that.
Old March 15, 2012, 05:20 AM   #14
PA-Joe

There may be some dirt under your shellholder. The WSMs tend to have very tight chambers. I know that if you use a different brand of shellholder than your die company they are not machined to the same standards and people have had to sand off .001 from the top of the shellholder to kick the shoulders back enought.