The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 11, 2017, 04:32 AM   #1
TruthTellers

SHOT Show Hype and Prediction thread

We are less than a week away from the 2017 SHOT Show!!!

While the past two years have been relative snoozefests, I think this year's show will buck that trend. Here are my predictions:

1. Kel Tec will unveil their first revolver. It will be a .38 Special/.357 and a 9mm conversion barrel. The revolver will be DA/SA, but the cylinder will not swing out. Instead, to reload, the cylinder pin must be pulled and the cylinder removed and the empty cases pulled out. It will be a polymer frame and the double action trigger will be 15 lbs.

2. Heizer Defense will reveal their first 9mm semi auto pistol.

3. North American Arms re-debuts the Ranger II.

Those are my predictions, what are yours?
Old January 11, 2017, 09:28 AM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
...the past two years have been relative snoozefests, I think this year's show will buck that trend.
I dunno, as it seems that several of the major gunmakers have already rolled out their major new product intros for the year (i.e. S&W M&P M2.0, Ruger MkIV, Colt Cobra, Savage AR).

That said, here's my predictions.
  1. S&W rolls out the M&P M2.0 Compact.
  2. Either FNH, Colt, or EAA/Tanfoglio—in that order of decreasing likelihood—introduces a 7/8rd single-stack poly-frame striker-fired 9mm.
  3. Canik/CIA introduces a 7/8rd single-stack poly-frame striker-fired 9mm.
  4. More "All American" Kalashnikovs—i.e. all-new made, not 922r rifles cobbled together with vintage Warsaw Pact parts on a U.S. receiver. However, they will still be from relatively small manufacturers, so there will not be a lot of fanfare.
  5. Bond Arms announces full-scale reintroduction of Bullpup/Boberg pistols.
  6. Walther announces full-scale reintroduction of PPK and PPK/S.
  7. Walther introduces a subcompact striker-fired .380 poly-frame pistol, unfortunately made by Umarex, named the Nickelback or the Third Eye Blind. Okay, that last part was a joke, seeing as how their latest introduction was the Creed...

Last edited by carguychris; January 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification, typo
Old January 11, 2017, 10:27 AM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Later this year, Ruger and Remington will both issue a recall for a product they featured prominently at SHOT 2017.
Old January 11, 2017, 10:57 AM   #4
g.willikers

Until someone comes out with a Star Trek type phaser weapon, it's all just variations on an old theme.
Ho Hum.
Old January 11, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Later this year, Ruger and Remington will both issue a recall for a product they featured prominently at SHOT 2017.
LOL, probably a more accurate prediction than any of mine!
Old January 11, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
BearBrimstone

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith & Wesson unveils an M&P Shield 2.0 bringing the 9mm and .40 frames in line with the 45 ACP frame. An M&P 2.0 in 10mm would be great but thats just a hope and will likely never happen.
Old January 11, 2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Skans

My predictions:

1. Tanfoglio offers a new all steel 1911
2. S&W offers a limited line of "Classic" revolvers without the lock/Hillary Hole
3. Taurus comes out with a a new AR-15 that isn't mil-spec and doesn't use standard AR parts.
4. Kimber offers the K6 revolver in different finishes
5. Kel-Tec reintroduces the M43 - basically the RBD with wood furniture
6. Desert Eagle introduces a .22 pistol called the Subatomic Eagle
7. Ruger comes out with an 8-shot .357 revolver called the GP800.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:10 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
7. Ruger comes out with an 8-shot .357 revolver called the GP800.
They already did this, it's called the Redhawk.
Old January 11, 2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Slopemeno

..I might sit up an take notice if they were touting the opening of a new rimfire ammo production plant.
Old January 11, 2017, 04:41 PM   #10
brasscollector

Taurus unveils their ST12 in the US! The catch? It's designed with a shorter action which will only fit/feed the mini/shorty 12 gauge shells.
Old January 11, 2017, 06:14 PM   #11
dakota.potts

Desert Tech shows off their production model MDR in 7.62 and maybe a couple conversion calibers.

SilencerCo unveils their production model integrally suppressed factory handgun (rumored to be a new production design, not the factory modified gun they have shown)

CZ shows off their new 527 suppressor ready model, and some new calibers like 6.5 Grendel and .300 Blackout.

A new proprietary AR-15 caliber that is actually just a very loosely modified design of a wildcat that has existed for decades and fills no new needs for anybody other than collectors of odd calibers.

An AK is combined with some other operating system and marketed as being ultra reliable (Fostech Origin, ARAK 21, Joshua Rifle)

Some ultra new, ultra deadly (or reliable, clean, accurate) ammo is unveiled which will ultimately cost $2 or more a shot for normal calibers

An optic is introduced which takes more advantage of "smart" technology (or just streams to your smartphone to let you record Instagram videos)
Old January 11, 2017, 08:03 PM   #12
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts
An optic is introduced which takes more advantage of "smart" technology (or just streams to your smartphone to let you record Instagram videos)
And lets you watch the nanny cam in your kids' room through the optic?
Old January 11, 2017, 09:29 PM   #13
dakota.potts

I expect that will come in the next update, along with "scope eye selfie" functionality
Old January 11, 2017, 09:45 PM   #14
KEYBEAR

I really do not care . I have not bought anything newer then 1984 ?
I like blue and wood on my guns ?
Old January 12, 2017, 12:29 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

I was about to make some predictions about Hornady, but then remembered that I got their 2017 catalog about a month ago...

Elsewhere:
There will be "groundbreaking" AR rifles, uppers, and accessories introduced. Some will be vaporware. Most will be useless or no different than products already available.

Remington will reveal the need to change the name of the Model 700, because it's too easy to confuse with the "007" franchise.

Many people will shake their head in confusion about Henry making a .327 Federal lever-action. Yet, it will go on to be a successful product.

Remington will change the color of ammunition packaging, call it "new", and charge twice as much for it.

Suppressors. Lots of suppressors. And more suppressors.

Several companies will change the grip panels on their semi-auto(s) and pass the pistol(s) off as a new model.

Remington will introduce a new cartridge. Except, it's actually an old cartridge with a new name. And then, just to make matters worse, they'll go back to the old name before the end of the year.

Black Rifle Coffee Company will unveil tactical tortillas.

Savage will have yet another "1,000 yard rifle" under $1,000 to add to the lineup.

Remington will introduce the cheapest budget rifle to date, because it comes in kit form, requires a ball peen hammer to operate, and doesn't include the glue stick necessary to install the barrel.

Winchester will hint at a new cartridge; but it may or may not ever happen.

Some idiot will blow their thumb off during one of the media range sessions.

Remington will introduce a state-of-the-art "new" handgun that's an exact clone of a 100 year-old design, yet somehow doesn't work at all when produced on modern equipment with no quality control other than trusting CNC machines and their operators.

Uberti will have a "new" SAA clone with even sloppier tolerances.

.338 Spectre will be talked about more than .300 Blackout.

Remington will announce, yet again, that the discontinued Marlin big bores are going back into production, only to do the same thing again at 2018 SHOT.

And Browning will have something that is totally useless, but completely awesome.
Old January 12, 2017, 06:44 PM   #16
Scorch

Quote:
We are less than a week away from the 2017 SHOT Show!!!
I would get excited, but I can't after all the other fanfare and flops that have come around over the past few years. SHOT is heavily marketed, and as such it is the product in and of itself. Reality does not matter (if you doubt this, go there and look at all the bikini babes and the tactical BDU-clad operator-wannabes roaming the aisles).
Old January 12, 2017, 07:56 PM   #17
kozak6

Mostly variations of plastic pistols and AR15's, and tinker toys to put on their rails.

There have to be at least a couple manufacturers left who don't make a 1911. They'll probably throw something together in time for the show.

Kahr will paint some of their pistols a new color.

Keltec will dust off of their bullpups from last year. Some people might grumble since Keltec forgot to make any last year.

Desert Tech will also have some cool bullpups. But it doesn't matter because they will cost as much as a really great used car.

We will also see a few "modernized" AK's. But every single one will be a market failure since none of them will cost under $1500.
Old January 13, 2017, 02:40 AM   #18
TruthTellers

Quote:
I would get excited, but I can't after all the other fanfare and flops that have come around over the past few years. SHOT is heavily marketed, and as such it is the product in and of itself. Reality does not matter (if you doubt this, go there and look at all the bikini babes and the tactical BDU-clad operator-wannabes roaming the aisles).
I'm fully aware of this, as I said the last two years have been relative snoozers.

But the Kimber K6s last year and Kel-Tec's Sub2000 Gen 2 in 2015 was a heck of a surprise, so I expect a surprise gun to show up that nobody thought was coming.
Old January 13, 2017, 09:54 AM   #19
stevelyn

I'm hoping that Ruger ponies out a regular 22/45 Mk IV.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 16, 2017, 04:06 PM   #20
dakota.potts

One for me so far. SilencerCo with what's supposed to be their final model of the Maxim

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...btv-shot-2017/
Old January 16, 2017, 04:12 PM   #21
peggysue

North American Arms will finally come out with their Ranger 2 and SCCY will finally come out with their 380 model?.
Old January 16, 2017, 11:47 PM   #22
Model12Win

Been watching the coverage.

LOTS and LOTS of suppressors. Tons of AR parts, one or two weird pistols that are bound to flop (the Hudson H9 will be a failure) among lots of AR parts and accessories, NEW HANDGUARDS(!!!) my God, and people wonder why I like old guns. They're actually interesting!!
Old January 18, 2017, 06:07 AM   #23
TruthTellers

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG... skip to 11:00... .380 ACP Single Action revolver built on either the Uberti replica 1849 or 1862 Pocket frame. If these are convertible to .36 cap and ball by changing the cylinder and barrel, I MUST HAVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXEQuobnxg

Oh, and Mossberg is offering some 12 gauge with a 14 inch barrel and this crazy small pistol grip, but who cares about that.
Old January 18, 2017, 04:44 PM   #24
roashooter

Quote:
omg omg omg omg omg omg... Skip to 11:00... .380 acp single action revolver built on either the uberti replica 1849 or 1862 pocket frame. If these are convertible to .36 cap and ball by changing the cylinder and barrel,
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG ......thats so awwwwwsoooome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 18, 2017, 09:33 PM   #25
pelo801

If you watch thru to the 2nd video, the media day video. How about that Standard Manufacturing SAA? That looks pretty sweet. And their 25 acp derringer thing is kinda strange