The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 6, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
JAY Duce

please help me

i have a mossberg 85d 20 ga and i want to know if a federal 2 1/2 field load 20 ga would work i think its bird shot please forgive me for the lack of info
Old May 7, 2009, 12:32 AM   #2
j.chappell

If I remember correctly your shotgun has a 2 3/4" chamber. That should be stamped on the barrel of your firearm. As long as it is 20 gauge ammunition you should be able to fire any loading as long as the shells do not exceed 2 3/4". A 2 1/2" field load should prove to be a nice little hunting load for your shotgun.

J.

Last edited by j.chappell; May 7, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:32 AM   #3
JAY Duce

thank you for the help
Old May 7, 2009, 06:58 AM   #4
j.chappell

No problem. If you haave anymore questions just give us a holler. Some times guys dont like to post if it is a simple question but someone will come along and offer their help.

J.
Old May 7, 2009, 08:13 AM   #5
PetahW

Just a few caveats.

While it's safe to fire the shorter shell in the longer chamber, continued use will eventually result in chamber wall corrosion from the hot powder gasses, just ahead of the short shell's opened case mouth that will cause no end of extraction difficulties if/when someone ever want to use the longer ammo again.
I don't mean the fouling that normal cleaning will remove, I mean multiple, repeated, microscopic metal displacements.

And, the shorter shells may/may not, feed properly through, from the magazine.

Old May 7, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
dgludwig

Try posing your question in the Shotgun forum. You'll probably get even more feedback. And welcome to The Firing Line!