The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 3, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1
striker55

lets try again, any houston area shooters

I shoot at the American Shooting Center at George Bush Park, just got my membership. I like shooting the steel targets with my 1911.
Old August 3, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Ian2005

I go to ASC for the rifle & skeet range. Im not sure about these metal targets you speak of- the only pistol range area I know of is comprised of standing boards at 5, 10, and 20 yards. For pistol shooting, I like to use a lot of targets so the indoor range of Top Gun is pretty much where I can be found at least once every weekend or two.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Rich636

That's pretty cool, I didn't know they had steel targets. Is it in a separate place from the handgun/rifle range? I haven't been out there in about 3 years, maybe they've added some things.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:38 PM   #4
uzimon

too many rules there, imo

i like shootin @ marksman indoor range in s. houston
i can rapid fire there, even shoot my sbs. folks shoot f/a and supressed weapons there

also like pasadena gun center off 225, in stinkadena.
they rent machine guns, centerfire rifles can be shot there too

for an outdoor range, the texas city municipal range is ok
i like to dump a beta mag outta my ar15's there
cant do that at american, even on a bipod on the bench
Old August 3, 2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Rich636

Uzimon, I like Marksman too. It's nice to pay one fee and not per gun, that's why I shoot my handguns there and not at American Shooting Center. You are right about people shooting the full auto weapons there. I sometimes I see an Asian guy there who has a Mac-11 full-auto, supressed I think, very cool gun
Old August 3, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
striker55

asc steel targets

There were 2 banks of 5 steel targets at the end of the pistol range, cost's $7 extra to shoot at em. Last week they were down to one bank. Hope they fix it.
Old August 3, 2007, 04:15 PM   #7
uzimon

i like taking my 870 with 12" bbl there
of course some of the other shooters dont like it at all
1 even whined to the front desk about the abbreviated bbl being legal
he knows i got me a stamp
Old August 23, 2007, 11:12 AM   #8
cryption

I shoot at that range, as well as hot wells on 290. I live in Huntsvile, however. School not jail.
Old August 23, 2007, 11:25 AM   #9
sectshun8

I was just looking at the website for ASC, and I may be moving to Sugar Land in the next couple months for a job prospect.

Do they really charge per rifle? That's crap! So not only do I pay for myself, but every rifle I bring with me?

Well then again, myself and 4 rifles is what, about $20 all day.... that's what I pay currently, with unlimited rifles.
Old August 23, 2007, 11:57 AM   #10
dbgun

For pistols indoor, I like SPORTSMAN SHOOTING CENTER in Friendswood & Pasadena Gun Center. For rifle & outdoor pistol shooing, I go to Bailey's & Clear Creek in League City.

I haven't been to Marksman in a long time, but if they charge by the person instead of, per gun I'll try them some time soon.
Old August 23, 2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Rich636

Sechtshun ASC charges by guns or shooters...whichever there is more of :barf: So if you bring your buddy and you both share a rifle, you pay 2 fees. It's pricey but it's a nice range they had very reasonable ammo prices when I was there last.
Old August 23, 2007, 11:15 PM   #12
texgunner

Any one ever shoot at Pearland Sportsman's Club(PSC)? Or either of the Bayou Rifles ranges? I know these are member only ranges but I was wondering if any Houston area TFL members belonged.

I've been to PSC once, not to shoot but to watch my cousin compete in a IPSC match and I thought it was a pretty decent place to shoot. I've never been to a Bayou Rifles range.

Tex
Old November 7, 2007, 03:27 AM   #13
captron3108

Shooting in Houston

Try the Impact Zone north of Fullshear tx

West Houston IDPA shoots there regularly (weekly, at least)
Great place. If you join the range you can go out and shoot till your heart is content w/ no range officer saying don't use your holster, no rapid fire, etc etc.

Go to the WHIDPA web page. Google them.
I shot there several years, but recently moved to Dallas and now shoot w/ Collin County IDPA.
Old November 9, 2007, 09:31 AM   #14
ronc0011

I’m in the Woodlands so I always end up going to Carters Country. Anyone live up north. There is also a place called Thunder Ranch up off of 242 I have started going to because you can set the pistol targets at what ever distance you want and I have been working on point and shoot so it’s good to be able to start with a target that is only about 6 ft’ away and gradually move it out. Thunder Ranch also has a 300 yrd. rifle range. There used to be an indoor range off of Aldine Westfield a couple of streets down from Hopper Rd. Don’t remember the name of the street or the range. They had the targets on a motorized cable that you could place at any distance. I haven’t been there in years so I don’t even know if it’s still there.
Old January 12, 2008, 10:46 PM   #15

i think you are talkin about 59 gun range. i shoot there a lil...too small, and i also go to carters country off of treaschwig
Old July 28, 2008, 10:27 PM   #16
broncbuster

My favorite range is Marksman. Friendly staff, nice place. Unfortunately i've been having to go to the place close to where I live (Spring) which is Shiloh Indoor shooting range. They charge $16/person and their A/C sucks. Also, the range is small so if they are busy, you are limited to an hour. They are also anal about shooting only brass shells (I guess they bank on reloading your shells that fall in front of the shooting station). The man who runs the place isn't the friendliest person on the planet, but his son is a very nice guy. My main beef with them is the price. Marksman is a much nicer range at half the price. Shiloh also charges you $5 if you shoot their crappy cheap plastic hangars that hold the targets and $25 if you shoot the wire the hangar is attached to. I"ve never shot either, but the whole design is sub-par to say the least. Marksman has the steel hangars that cannot be ruined by bullets ( maybe a 12ga slug could) and the wire is much higher than the target, making it an unlikely hit. But I"m so much closer to shiloh, that the additional $8 is cheaper than driving down to south houston to marksman. I'd go to HOt wells, but they charge per gun and I like to bring at least 3 guns to each shooting session. Marksman also has a discount program where if you pay $72 you get a card that gives you 12 sessions for a $2/session discount.

Hot Wells is nice for the rifle range and the shotgun range is also excellent. The staff is friendly and make sure you have a good safe time.
Old July 31, 2008, 01:21 PM   #17
flight954

I shoot quite a bit at Hot Wells off of 290 because it's only a 5 minute drive from my house. It's an outdoor range so it's pretty hot in the summer months and the staff is a bunch of young kids. I really enjoy Topgun over off of Beverlyhill (Richmond/610/59). It's a great indoor range, though it's expensive, far and they are also anal about only shooting brass. Friendly staff though. I also shoot at American. It's far from my house, hot in the summer and sometimes a wanna be gangsta hang out. Good staff though.
Old August 18, 2008, 08:57 PM   #18
PWK

I am a member of Bayou Rifles. We have 2 ranges. A pistol/small bore range on the north side of I-10 near Hwy 6 and an everything but 50BMG range south of Hwy 6 off 288. Range lengths are from 3 yards to 1000 yards at the 288S range. There are also a couple clay throwers at the 288S range. Never been to the Addicks range but if your only into pistol & small bore it's the place for you.
Check us out here: http://bayourifles.org/
Old November 14, 2008, 07:19 AM   #19
tomneal

I mostly shoot at PSC Range in the Friendswood / Alvin area. Web Page http://www.psc-range.com/

I am also a member at Greenwood Gun Club in the Lake Jackson area.
Old December 5, 2008, 04:56 PM   #20
Bama46

When I lived in Houston in the early 60's, you just went out Katy hiway till there were no more houses and found a place to shoot. In addition, my buddies and I used to take a .45 to Galveston with us when we went surf fishin for shootin Sharks.. we were probably 14 to 15 at the time and nobody thought a thing about it

Progress is great, Huh!

Ed
Old December 5, 2008, 05:01 PM   #21
hoytinak

I'm not anywhere near Houston but also check out www.texasguntalk.com. They've got a section just for the ranges in Texas.
Old December 10, 2008, 02:44 PM   #22
somedudefromhouston

I have only been to ASC once, used to be a member of Bayou Rifles. BR was a good deal IMHO.
ASC is just across the freeway from my shop. I can hear the boomers when the wind is out of the south.
Since I moved to country I can now shoot in my back yard.
Old December 10, 2008, 03:40 PM   #23
LHB1

I live near the Woodlands and shoot at Carter's Country outdoor range on Treschwig. Can usually be found on the pistol range once or twice a week. Stop by and say hello. I'm the little guy with two tone 1911, green range bag, and big brass catcher on the gun shelf.
Old December 30, 2008, 08:42 AM   #24
George PT-111

I shoot at Top Gun, I like the fact that I can move my targets with in seconds. A bit pricey though $16 with tax
Old December 31, 2008, 10:00 PM   #25
fm2

PSC is very nice. Impactzone is a great place to shoot also.