The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Surculus Solitudo

Working Up First Rifle Load

I am preparing to reload rifle rounds for the first time. I would call myself a novice at reloading. I have been reloading for my .40 cal and 9mm for about 2 months now. I have been quite pleased with the results.
I will be reloading new .243 Winchester brass with Speer 85gr boat tailed soft points over Alliant Reloader 15 powder using Wolf large rifle primers. It was difficult to find the bullets and powder so that is what I am starting with. It should be quite effective as a Javelina hunting round. I would like your opinion on my plan to work up the load in my Weatherby Vanguard. The brass, bullet, and powder were all specified in the Speer loading manual. The Wolf primers were not, but they were all I could find at a reasonable price. I have read in forums that they burn hotter than other primers.

This is my plan: Starting at the lowest charge in the manual, I will load a round in tenth grain increments as I progress toward the maximum load. At the range, I will shoot a round and inspect it for overpressure indicators before moving to the next round and powder increment. Once I have proofed the load in my rifle, I will carefully load a batch of rounds to shoot at 100 yards for group to evaluate the capability of the load with my rifle as well as sighting it in.

What does the collective wisdom of the group think?
Old October 31, 2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Use 0.3 grain charge steps. Most scales are good for +/- 0.1 grains, so increasing the charge 0.3 grains is the only way to be sure there is actually a charge difference from one round to the next. In other words, if one charge were 0.1 grain high and the next was 0.1 grains low, the second charge, though set 0.1 grain higher, would actually be 0.1 grains lower. If you were using 0.2 grain steps, the two would actually be the same charge. Check out Dan Newberry's OCW load development method for a good systematic approach.

Hotter primers pressurize the case a little higher at the start of the burn. That tends to improve consistency when the cases aren't well-filled, though benchrest shooters argue that milder primers do better when the case is well filled with powder. Figure they can change pressure equivalent to around 5% of a powder charge near peak pressure. So, if you have an established load, knock it down 5% for a different primer, until you prove it is playing nicely with the other components. This is one instance in which a chronograph is good for adjusting a load: making a new primer produce the same velocity with the same powder and bullets and cases that you got with a different primer. Doing so will mean you have the same pressure.

You don't need to reload new cases until after they've been fired. Until then, you just load them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 1, 2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
javven

You need to shoot batches at a given pressure / charge. I would do no less than 50 rounds in the same loading. If they shoot well work up at your discretion (staying within published loads).

There is no reason to go for the hottest charge IMO. You are unlikely to find the hottest load to be the most accurate - but it does happen.