The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2006, 01:45 PM   #1
duckcallinfool

Which is the softest shooting super autoloader?

I was just wondering...

Who really does have the softest shooting 3 1/2" autoloader?

Beretta's new Extrema 2 claims "All Together, the Xtrema2 Reduces Recoil an Astounding 44% More than it's Closest Rival!"

And Benelli's new SBE II claims " The new ComforTechâ„¢ system reduces recoil up to 48% over the competition"

Has anyone seen a third party article on these in which the two were tested Mythbuster style to see which one actually produced the least amount of felt recoil?

Post it if you have it.
Old April 5, 2006, 05:20 PM   #2
bgoldhunter

#1 softest shooting auto out there is the Extrema II. #2 would be the Browning Gold. 11-87, and other Berettas such as the Extrema I or 391 also have little kick, IMO.

The SBE II still kicks harder than almost all of the gas guns I have shot, due to the inertia system. They can advertise what they want, it still kicks harder.

My .02...
Old April 5, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3
270Win

I second the testimony for the SBEII's hard kick... my best friend bought one and shoots trap with it all the time, and it kicks damned hard for an auto-loader. Never tried the Extrema, but the 1187 was very good.
Old April 8, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4
1911 Shooter

+1 on the beretta Etrema
I shot one on the sporting clays course with hot shells,
Like shooting a Bb gun, no recoil
Old April 8, 2006, 02:47 PM   #5
fairview mick

Soft shooting s/gun

From the test performed on OLN and what I've read, Benelli
with their trick stock, probably has the least felt recoil of any comparable gun. I have a highly modified Rem. 1100, back bored, ported and the forcing cones lengthened. I would match it against any one's test for recoil. That took some doing. It also has a custom adjustable stock with a soft comb installed. As far as an over the counter gun, I would guess Benelli.
Old April 9, 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
308SORRELS

I personally will have to vote for the SBEII. I have shot both as my brother has the SBEII and I have the Extrema 2 ( Although I would never admit it to Him ) both of them shooting 3 1/2 #1 shot the Benneli kicks less
Old April 9, 2006, 08:21 PM   #7
johnbt

My SX-2 Waterfowl is a real soft shooter, so a reduction of 44% must have taken a major feat of engineering. I look forward to trying one. JT
Old April 9, 2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Ruger4570

I don't think there are ANY soft shooting 3 1/2" mags made. The all knock the snot outa me.
Old April 10, 2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Kato_Guy

i was wondering the beretta exrtema claims the 44% less recoil. is that just the stock gun or is it the gun with the kick off recoil reduction?? if a person were to buy the beretta or benelli or a remington all in auto loaders as just a base gun nothing added to recoil reduction would they all kick the same other than the fact that gas operated guns have a little less kick??
Old April 11, 2006, 09:22 PM   #10
compostking

I just went through te same perdicament of looking for the best autoloading super magnum shotgun. I test fired both the xtrema 2 and the SBEII. I honestly didn't see the difference in recoil between each other. Both shotguns had the upgraded stocks(ko or comfortech). The question is what you want to do with the gun. I wanted a gun to use for duck hunting in Washington and Idaho. I also have used it for trap and pheasent. That means I will have a lot of cold and wet days. The Beretta being a gas system was eliminated due to the fact that gas guns have problems cycling in below freezing temperatures. I went with the Benelli and I am very happy with it I have shot light trap loads and the heaviest game loads and have never had a fail to cycle due to the inertia system.

P.S. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that Benelli was owned by Beretta so many of the components are similar.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:34 AM   #11
BIGRED

I bought a New Extrema II 2 months ago, Dove loads have no recoil whatsoever. 3" #2 steel shot kicked more than i expected, and 3-1/2" Federal #5's rocked me. i stand 6' @280+ pounds and i can honestly say my shoulder was sore for 4 days after 1 box of 3" duck loads and 1 #5 shot. i called Beretta and bitched about this so called "recoil Reduction" and explained that my Beretta AL390 doesn't kick this bad. they told me there was no reason the gun should kick hard enough to hurt after 1 box of #2 shot. i asked to order the Kick Off but they told me to send the gun in because someone like me really wouldn't need the Kick Off installed.

so maybe i got a bum gun, if not than i am getting the Kick Off.
Old April 12, 2006, 07:43 AM   #12
johnbt

"gas guns have problems cycling in below freezing temperatures"

That has not been my experience with 1100's and an SX-2. I haven't had the first problem, but of course I've never hunted when it was colder than 8*F.

John
Old April 12, 2006, 09:30 AM   #13
bgoldhunter

Not my experience with gas guns as well. I have duck hunted in some terrible weather, and over the years have never had a gas gun malfunction due to the weather. If you have a problem in the cold, it is probably due to the care of the gun, not the system.
Old April 12, 2006, 11:17 AM   #14
Kato_Guy

that was my question is the beretta exrtema2 going to be just another average gun without that ko recoil system the 2 3/4 never kick even in a pump gun. i should say they barely kick. but am i wrong in saying that while shooting a 3 - 3.5" shell, the extrema is just another average gun or even the benelli WITHOUT the comfort tech or the ko systems???? i am talking recoil only i know they are both very nice guns!!
Old April 12, 2006, 02:22 PM   #15
remjeep75

my 1187 seems nice to me